Getting my vintage mini truck ready for towing - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #81

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
I like my truck because it is unique and rare. I've always been an auto enthusiast but I like to see cars and trucks out there on the roads getting used. Whether you pay $10,000 or $100,000 for a vehicle, if you don't intend to drive it you should just buy some artwork to hang on your wall instead.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #82

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I like my truck because it is unique and rare. I've always been an auto enthusiast but I like to see cars and trucks out there on the roads getting used. Whether you pay $10,000 or $100,000 for a vehicle, if you don't intend to drive it you should just buy some artwork to hang on your wall instead.
Double Trailer Queens are for trailers... not the rides (tow)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #83

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I'd love to try in on the twisted around my home. My truck is not much fun on those and really more suitable for the highway. That's why I drive an old Volvo 240.

Would love to hear your driving impression of your truck unloaded. How do you like the handling, acceleration and suspension?
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #84

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
It doesn't have power steering so the ratio means lots of steering input when turning. All the ball joints and bushings were replaced in 2006 and it wasn't driven much until I purchased it. Therefore steering feedback is spot on and it drives straight and true at any speed. The suspension is firm with the upgrades I have done so body roll is minimal. The bench seat, with minimal lateral support, means I don't exactly corner hard, especially with my wife sitting shotgun. Acceleration is on par with today's commuter cars but it is much more enjoyable to rip through the gears. It has an open diff and I can squeal one tire if I drop the clutch and chirp shifting from 1st to 2nd.
chuyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #85
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
It has an open diff and I can squeal one tire if I drop the clutch and chirp shifting from 1st to 2nd.
Byron, sounds like my AMC Pacer that I once owned, and had fun with. Even though it had the 31spline Ford nodular 9" it wasn't posi. One wheel spin was all it would do...LOL

Here---
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #86

New Hampshire
We survived the season! Not sure the number of miles we put in. Pretty much stayed in New England and did short weekend trips. Mixed driving with and without the camper I was getting 13-14 mpg. Without the camper I've seen as high as 17 mpg. The worst I saw was 11.7 mpg and that was through the Berkshires with a full load (including the water tank) and lots of climbing.

Two issues we have that probably mean we won't be towing with this truck all the time. First, there is no A/C and getting stuck in traffic on a hot summer afternoon is brutal. I might be able to custom fit an aftermarket system but that'll sap power and clutter the engine bay. Second, it is kind of loud and smells. I don't mind it but the Mrs isn't pleased. After about 2 hours of driving the drone gets old. So in the next few months I'll be looking to trade in my daily driver for something that won't have any issues towing the camper. If we venture outside New England I think it would be wise to have a newer and safer vehicle. I'll still use the truck for camping close to home though since I like having the bed to put stuff in.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #87

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Great pics Chris!!! Looks like you found some great camping spots. The little truck looks great with the trailer but I am not surprised you have decided to find an alternative tug now that you have given it the real world test! ;-) Just dont expect as many heads to turn with the new tug as I am sure you had with the old one.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #88
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Two issues we have that probably mean we won't be towing with this truck all the time. First, there is no A/C and getting stuck in traffic on a hot summer afternoon is brutal. I might be able to custom fit an aftermarket system but that'll sap power and clutter the engine bay. Second, it is kind of loud and smells. I don't mind it but the Mrs isn't pleased. After about 2 hours of driving the drone gets old. So in the next few months I'll be looking to trade in my daily driver for something that won't have any issues towing the camper. If we venture outside New England I think it would be wise to have a newer and safer vehicle. I'll still use the truck for camping close to home though since I like having the bed to put stuff in.
Those are great pics. Makes me want to hook up the trailer and get out and go camping.

Know all about the drone and lack of AIR. In the old days when Thrush mufflers were a must that sound was just awful.

One of the reason we chose an Infiniti as a TV was the fact it was so quiet and had the comforts when on the road. At 60MPH with trailer in tow there is no engine or drive train noise. Just a little wind and tire noise. It works. BH is happy. What is your current daily driver?
Old 10-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #89

New Hampshire
My daily driver is a Mazdaspeed6. It has the power to tow but I don't think the suspension can handle the tongue weight. It has the same motor as the CX-7 but that was only rated at 1,500 lbs. I'd be a little worried about towing under boost for long periods. The turbo placement and cooling isn't optimal for that sort of thing. I'm kind of holding my breath for a CX-5 twin turbo diesel.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #90
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
My daily driver is a Mazdaspeed6.
It has the power to tow but I don't think the suspension can handle the tongue weight.
That is a really nice car especially the "speed" model. That option is rare in Canada. There are a few Mazdaspeed3's around here though. I had an 89 626/5 speed manual.... luved that car.

Generally speaking cars have stout components and most do well as TV's.

Mazda6 named Best Petrol Tow Car | Perrys Car Industry News 6-2013

Mazda6 Estate Named Tow Car Of The Year 2005
Attached Thumbnails
Mazda 6 3 tow car.jpg   Mazda316DTS.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 10-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #91

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
If you decide to go bigger, I'd recommend about a 2005 or 2006 Silverado K2500 with a Duramax diesel. They have plenty of power and get pretty good fuel economy and sell for reasonable amounts used. I was just looking at a few for a possible plow truck. But not this year as I just put a new roof on my house and taxes are due soon. Most are Alison automatics, while I saw one 2x4 with a manual that I bet got great fuel economy. Lots of people claim 24 unloaded and I've heard higher numbers.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:51 PM   #92

New Hampshire
Thanks MC1. Mazda USA doesn't give the same tow ratiings as UK. Not sure if this is the thread to argue about that but I think in general Euro spec cars have stiffer suspensions and can likely handle the weight a little better....but that's just speculation. One fact is that the Mazdaspeed6 owners manual for both UK and USA states towing is not recommended. Kind of odd since the CX-7 shares a lot of the same parts including the 2.3L turbo motor. Mazda USA states the CX-7 can handle 2,000 lbs so unless its a suspension sag issue, I don't see why the MS6 can't do it. I'm out of warranty at this point so it might be worth a try...but I could risk trade in value if something goes wrong and the transmission or drivetrain explodes on me.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:03 AM   #93
MC1

Ontario
chuyler, some good points that have been discussed to no end on various forums for many years.

Like your findings with the Mazda's our Infiniti has the same drive train as the Infiniti FX35 which has a much higher tow rating.

Suspension sag on the rear is best handled with a WDH. Note with our 23' connected and ready for travel we have not exceeded our axle load specs.

If you are interested in setting up your 6 check out this site. Can-Am RV Centre | Your Towing Experts
They have been setting up cars for towing for over 40 years.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #94

New Hampshire
Another season is here. I'm still using the REPU for a few trips. People love seeing the truck!

However we plan on taking some longer trips this summer and with the dogs coming along I wanted something larger...oh and the Mrs requested A/C for any trips south. I considered the new CX5 but towing capacity was just under what I'd need for our camper. So I got a CX9 instead. It feels big for just two adults, almost too big, but it hauls OK (3,500lb limit) and I have plenty of room for just about anything. I'm getting 22 mpg hwy without the camper and around 12-14 mpg with it...which is the same as the REPU oddly enough.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:56 AM   #95
MC1

Ontario
Really nice! A comfy way to travel for sure.