Hi everyone, I already posted a welcome thread but I figured I would share here as well. I'm an avid Mazda enthusiast...an odd brand to be loyal to but it fits me. I've owned 4 total in my life and have two right now.
I purchased this 1975 Mazda REPU over a year ago. The previous owner did the restoration but never actually drove it more than 500 miles. His style was...well not mine...but I saw potential in the truck. I've spent the last year sourcing parts to get it back to a state where it can be a truck again. I haven't towed with it yet, but I plan to tow a 16' Scamp
as soon as it gets delivered.
This is what I started with... Keep in mind these photos make the truck look larger than life. It is small, measuring only 5' fender to fender. I think a Toyota Prius is wider. It does however have a 6' bed and a 1,400lb payload.
Not bad, for the car show circuit. I purchased it sight-unseen after getting an appraisal. Within the first months I had to...
* Replace clutch master/slave cylinder
* New ignition coils
* Install speedometer cable
* Repair dash light
* Replace turn signal relay
* Install a radio
* Complete the exhaust
* Replace the horn
* Install and repair windshield washer
* Repair some gas lines that were dry rotted
* Install evaporater emmissions lines
* Repair choke
So yeah, great job on the body work, not so great on the mechanicals...that's OK though. I was looking for a project. The motor is an original 4 port 13B 1.3L rotary. It will rev to 7,000 rpm and the only way you'd know it is from the buzzer that goes off in the dash to warn you to shift. This particular motor had 0 miles on it when installed by the previous owner. It was one of a few lost in a dealer warehouse for decades, part of a manufacturer swap program that Mazda offered in the 70's when apex seals started to wear out prematurely. The emmissions equipment is removed and a header and high flow exhaust is installed...but other than that, what you see is original.
More recently, I've been doing tow-specific preparation.
* I sourced replacement springs for the front and installed them
* Removed the lowering blocks in the rearl
* Installed air shocks 25-250psi in the rear
* Had a hitch installed
* Wired up a 7-pin harness
* Replaced the low profile wheel/tire combo with something more appropriate. The speedometer was way off before and now I've gained back a few highway cruising rpms.
Some of the things Mazda was kind enough to provide from the factory...
* Front disc brakes
, an uncommon feature for a truck this size in 1975 (I've got slotted rotors which should help with heat dissipation)
* Front mounted oil cooler (rotaries use the oil for cooling so it is necessary)
* 4.33 final drive ratio (not so great for gas mileage but perfect for towing)
* 4 speed transmission (probably wouldn't use 5th gear while towing anyway)
* 4 barrel dual stage carb (pretty big for a 1.3L motor)
Final details that I'm missing and hope to resolve before my Scamp
arrives in June...
* Brake controller, Not sure what to get yet and could use some opinions.
* Spare tire winch, I think I have a line on this...I don't want to go too far without a spare tire!
* Tow mirrors, I'm trying to find a set of original dealer installed West Coast Jr mirrors. I've got a line on a set that may need re-plating. I've seen some available from online parts stores but I think they're too big.
Anyway, that's where I'm at. Given some of the tow vehicles I've seen on this site, I think the truck is prepared for the job. I don't know the original towing capacity and haven't had much luck finding a copy of the owners manual but the Scamp
shouldn't be much more than 2,500lbs and if the truck was rated for 1,400 lbs in the bed, it shouldn't have trouble with a 200lb tongue weight
. I tested standing on the hitch and with the shocks at just 50psi i get virtually no sag.