Getting new axle for 1979 scamp- is this estimate a rip off? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #1

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Getting new axle for 1979 scamp- is this estimate a rip off?

Hi! We want to replace our 1979 scamp axle, and add brakes...got this estimate for everything....$1574. This seems REALLY high, but I don’t know where the excess is?
Attached Thumbnails
FF123511-C6D4-4CB3-A034-300EEF96D557.png  
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #2

Name: J
Isle of Wight
$200 just to install a brake controller seems high - its just 2 screws?
What are you towing with?

Why cant they weld on brackets then bolt on the axle?
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #3

Colorado
Registry
No clue- guessing they didn’t even consider that, even though that’s what we asked for a quote on.

It’s a sienna, so the wiring is a bit more involved...
Old 04-10-2018, 04:18 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
get more bids get an honest mechanic who will let you buy your own parts to install

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:24 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Well I would clear the prices on this list and send it to Scamp. They do hundreds of installs and I doubt anyone could beat their prices. Their not scared to do the job and know exactly how much labor is involved. Plus you wont pay shipping charges.

To me their quote seems to have a heavy bit of price mark-up on parts but it doesn't spec what controller they plan to install and you really need 3 rims and not 2.

Might be worth going to Backus for a vacation? at least you get something for your money.

Now I don't like the term ripoff.
You asked for the quote and they gave it to you, its your decision to use it or not. No one is twisting your arm. Everyone in business wants to make money and no one wants to loose money. How much money is a days work for a business worth?

If it was my money being spent I would be buying 3 new tires instead of spending even more money than on this quote for swapping old tires on new rims. That's just throwing good money after bad.

Now go to Etrailer and price check your cost for parts. I am suspecting a 15% mark-up on their part and I suspect 8 hours of shop labor at $100 bucks an hour.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:30 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Probably not unreasonable since it appears your tow vehicle is not prewired so they are selling you a controller, seven pin connectors, etc. Go ahead and get another quote
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:30 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennifer View Post
It’s a sienna, so the wiring is a bit more involved...
I did all my own wiring for trailer lights and brake controller on a 2015 Sienna.. it took me two full days, but of course I'm a perfectionist amateur.

Still, it takes a fair amount of work and parts... not anywhere near plug and play.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:32 PM   #8

Missouri
100.00 labor

steve you are correct I bet 100 an hour wont cover it in ca but maybe it will?

I had a part go bad on my disc harrow thinking it wouldn't be too bad I told my guy to order it and put it on. one shaft with 3 blades was more than the entire disc harrow cost!

my fault I could have junked what I had and bought used and came out ahead. did he rip me off I don't think so things are just so stupid expensive anymore!

I think she needs to do some shopping though I wonder what her problem is with the axle?

bob
Old 04-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #9

Missouri
zennifer why are you replacing the axle has someone told you to do this? as steve mentioned tires are not a big deal buy new tires and have them put on your old rims.

bob
Old 04-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #10

Michigan
Registry
I also did my own wiring in TV and camper. Not fun
Old 04-10-2018, 04:36 PM   #11

Michigan
Registry
The hourly rate is same as trailer shop my area. Camping world is even higher at $130/hour
Old 04-10-2018, 04:37 PM   #12

Missouri
rewiring

john I have done a little on the 95 scamper but I am not getting into it unless something gives way. I don't like the connectors scamp uses but I think they all use them.

lisatania did the best job I have ever seen I think she paid someone to do it and I bet it was pricey.

so far everything working if the mice don't get into it!

bob
Old 04-10-2018, 04:43 PM   #13

Michigan
Registry
If you add up the labor hours in the quote it's seven hours at $100 per houy
Old 04-10-2018, 04:48 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We had to have a bent axle replaced on our Casita about 8 years ago. It cost about $1200 for the axle and installation (Dexter). That did not include brakes, etc. since they reused the old parts where they could.

I paid about $800 to replace the axle on my utility trailer with no brakes. So, I don't think your estimate is too far out of line.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
zennifer why are you replacing the axle has someone told you to do this? as steve mentioned tires are not a big deal buy new tires and have them put on your old rims.

bob
Bob, she can't use the old 4 lug rims on a new axle they have all moved up to 5 lugs with 10 inch brakes. No one wants to deal with odd ball 7" brakes any more.

As far as service in SoCal there are 3 levels of trade for services. Professional level businesses @ $130.00 to $150.00 an hour, Mid grade services. Old shops doing old school business practices, been there forever @ $100.00 an hour. And the immigrant cash and carry no paperwork services @ $50.00 an hour or so. Someone always knows someone who can get it done for you. Don't expect top quality work, pay cash and you will get no warranty or receipt. But for the most part they work extremely hard, but make sure the both of you are on the same page.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:06 PM   #16

Colorado
Registry
It's the 8 hours of labor, not the $100 an hour- average around here is $90-100 an hour, so that seems reasonable.

I'm just really suprised it takes so long, when I've seen lots of "1-2 hour" to install an axle quotes on here? (And on this quote the installation is 2.5 hours).
Old 04-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #17

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Bob, she can't use the old 4 lug rims on a new axle they have all moved up to 5 lugs with 10 inch brakes. No one wants to deal with odd ball 7" brakes any more.

As far as service in SoCal there are 3 levels of trade for services. Professional level businesses @ $130.00 to $150.00 an hour, Mid grade services. Old shops doing old school business practices, been there forever @ $100.00 an hour. And the immigrant cash and carry no paperwork services @ $50.00 an hour or so. Someone always knows someone who can get it done for you. Don't expect top quality work, pay cash and you will get no warranty or receipt. But for the most part they work extremely hard, but make sure the both of you are on the same page.
I learned my lesson on the low price services with our house...I won't do that again on anything I care how it's done...learned it twice. First time, it was to sell the house, and didn't matter to me...the second time I ripped the tile back OUT and reinstalled it myself after paying him so he'd go away. I could post pictures...they are horrible (brickwork tile on sheets that were laid with the lines having no relationship to other sheets, with no spacers used..)
Old 04-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #18

Colorado
Registry
And no, I shouldn't call anything a rip off...it's been a long day with young children pulling on me while I typed it...shouldn't take that out on the world, though.

Overall curious if the amount of shop time seems reasonable.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:17 PM   #19

Colorado
Registry
The tires are only 2 years old, so we wanted to save that cost if possible...
Old 04-10-2018, 05:28 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
If you have other shops nearby who can do the work, get a couple more price quotes. Then decide which place you feel comfortable with.

Brake controller installation does sound high. But the controller itself is cheap... which means it's a basic time-delay controller. I'd recommend a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 or P3; they provide proportional braking (the harder you brake, the harder the trailer will brake). The time delay ones do work, but the stopping is not as smooth and the jerkiness can get old after while.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scamp