going to Scamp factory for new axle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2010, 05:49 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
going to Scamp factory for new axle

I have a 1977 scamp 13' that has needed a new axle since I bought it two years ago. Camper sits very low, and since I use it primarily as a mobile ice fishing house, it has been dragging in the snow when I drive it on frozen lakes.

I called scamp and they quoted me a price of 310.00 for a new axle, and another 120.00 to install it. I plan on driving the two hundred miles next week and having it done while I wait. They say it will be no problem to do this in less than a day, and the price seems reasonable, especially since I know they are familiar with the procedure.

I am just wondering if there is more than one option for my new axle, or if I should just trust scamp to get it right.
John Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
John that sound really reasonable. They have been great to work with long distance, I have received a number of ideas from them . Go for it
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I had Scamp change out an axel out on a older 13 about 3 years ago. Just make sure you have an appointment. I worked it into a camping trip and once we showed up we were on our way in less than 3 hours. They have a seperate bay for axel swaps and warranty work. They really had their act together for the axel swap.
They cut the swing arms off of the old axel to get access to cut the axel from the frame. So I was able to keep the old hubs and bearings for another scamp project I was working on. The new axel was a dexter EZ lube with 4X4 hubs and it came with brake flanges.
No muss, no fuss, no headaches, time and money well spent.
Eddie
P.S. Get your wish list together for any parts you need. No shipping charges but you will have to pay tax.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #4

I am going through parts catalog right now trying to prioritize wants and needs. I plan on taking some before and after pictures at the factory, and perhaps exploring some local waters in my kayak while I wait. Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Have the axle bolted on!! Sure would make an axle swap a whole lot easier and cheaper 20 years from now. And we know, your trailer will still be raring to go camping years and years from now.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #6

I decided to drive to Scamp headquarters last Thursday, even though I didn't officially have an appointment. They were able to replace my sagging axle, and replace my door handles. I no longer have to worry about my door flying open or my back bumper dragging at the bottom of my driveway.

It was awesome that Scamp was willing to help me out with such little notice, and I was allowed to linger around and watch most of the work being done. Scamp even gave me a very nice gift of a banana cushion for my lower bunk, when an employee noticed mine missing, and remembered they had a vintage one in a scrap pile.

I returned home full of renewed enthusiasm for my camper, and have now started several new projects. I reconfigured my front tongue area, and now have room for both propane and battery, both of which are now fastened securely. I also installed a new door gasket that I purchased from scamp, and am in the middle of building a shelving system for my closet area. I will be mounting a record player in the closet, along with a shelf of records so I can listen to vinyl while out ice fishing this winter.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
John, congrats on your new axle! Nice to know Scamp was so good to you.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Question

"". I reconfigured my front tongue area, and now have room for both propane and battery, both of which are now fastened securely. ""

Got any pictures or an account of the reconfigured tongue area?
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
"". I reconfigured my front tongue area, and now have room for both propane and battery, both of which are now fastened securely. ""

Got any pictures or an account of the reconfigured tongue area?
Previously, I had a three metal brackets welded to the underside of the frame which the propane tank rested on. I had the scamp technician weld two more brackets onto the tongue which increased my usable area. I was then able to shift the propane tank back and over to one side, which opened up just enough space to bolt a battery tray down to hold my covered battery case. I heeded advice from this forum and drilled holes in the bottom of the battery case so that water cannot collect inside the case. Now I have the same kind of set-up as the more modern scamps.

I have not figured out how to attach pictures yet, but when I do I will post some pictures of my camper/icehouse modifications.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hunt View Post
I have not figured out how to attach pictures yet, but when I do I will post some pictures of my camper/icehouse modifications.
John, see if the info at this post helps: Posting pictures on FiberglassRV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp