Good Sam - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #15

Name: Anne
Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Oregon
Registry
Often, there's a really good new membership offer that gives you a pretty big discount. So, you might join under the first year discount and see how much you really use it.
Like others, I was a member for the first year or two (and I did use the store discount to stock up on trailer stuff) but, for me, I never used the campground discounts enough to justify continued membership.

Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #16

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
My neighbor just returned from a failed trip where he blew out 2 tires on a 5r and stated he was at the mercy of the repair facilities out there. I ask him if he was a GoodSam member and he said no.

If this happened to me the first thing I would do is to contact a local GoodSam and get the info on who/where to have my vehicle towed so I wouldn't get screwed just because of being on the road.

That is just one of the reasons I'm a GoodSam member.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #17

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaJill View Post
I can't figure out if this Good Sam Roadside assistance program is any better than say .... AAA.
Jill
The Long, Long Trailer Trip see post #44 on Page 4.

I paid extra to have the RV endorsement added to my existing AAA account.

My breakdown in Kansas was on a 2 lane country road with no shoulder that dropped into ditches on both sides as deep as the trailer is tall. I had to pull into a stranger's driveway to get off the road. When I called the AAA number, they said I only had basic coverage for just the Odyssey and refused to consider the trailer at all. I would have had to leave the trailer in that driveway.

But in Southern California the trailer was no problem. I once called AAA for a breakdown on I-5 between LA and San Diego. They sent a flatbed truck with a hitch and transported both car and trailer. They dropped the trailer off at home and took the car to the repair shop.

In Kansas, they sent me a small crane-on-the-back tow truck who's driver was dumbfounded to find that his customer had a trailer that AAA never mentioned. I wound up having to drive the Odyssey and the Fiber Stream 13 miles at slow speed due to the misfiring engine to get to this guy's shop. I had to pay for towing over AAA's 7 mile limit even though the tow truck never hooked up, just lead the way.

There is no one national AAA. There are regional AAA "clubs" that are the members of the AAA, but you the customer are only a member of your local "club." You're taken care of within your region, but outside your home region you're at the mercy of whomever you get transferred to on the phone. Membership in AAA does not fully cover your breakdown expenses unless you buy the top tier most expensive membership with all of their itemized extra charges. An "RV" endorsement to the regular AAA membership doesn't mean much.

With Good Sam's Emergency Road Service, there are no distance limits, and there are no out-of-area exceptions, and there are no itemized extra charges. Whatever is needed to get your car AND your trailer delivered to repair facilities is fully covered. If an overnight is needed, delivering your trailer to a suitable campsite is included.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #18

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i think nit totaly depends on where you camp and what your needs are. we camp primarely at state and national campgrounds so no discount,,, plus next year we get the gold pass for nationals.
a gew months of membership fees left in the bank covers any road service. and i don;t like campers world so thats no help
Old 06-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #19

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I am a GS member and I recently bought the trailer insurance, but my tow vehicle's insurance has towing coverage for very little cost so I don't have GS roadside assistance. If my trailer has a problem, I most likely can change the tire or still tow it at low speed for a ways... or in a pinch, pay for it to be carried somewhere (but that's pretty unlikely to be needed IMO).
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:43 AM   #20

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I am a GS member and I recently bought the trailer insurance, but my tow vehicle's insurance has towing coverage for very little cost so I don't have GS roadside assistance. If my trailer has a problem, I most likely can change the tire or still tow it at low speed for a ways... or in a pinch, pay for it to be carried somewhere (but that's pretty unlikely to be needed IMO).
But what happens if they have to tow your tow vehicle? Your trailer will be left behind. With G/S they always send 2 tow vehicles, one for your trailer and one for your car. they will tow your car to garage and your trailer to a campground to camp while your car is being fixed.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #21

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
But what happens if they have to tow your tow vehicle? Your trailer will be left behind. With G/S they always send 2 tow vehicles, one for your trailer and one for your car. they will tow your car to garage and your trailer to a campground to camp while your car is being fixed.
I suppose you're right... but frankly, I run newer vehicles and haven't needed one towed in so many years, I can't remember the last time.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #22

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I was a Good Sam member for a while, when I noticed all the advertising that was being mailed to my house by people they shared their mailing list with. I called them and asked nicely to not receive all the advertising, and they said that it would be impossible for them to not send the advertising flyers but still send the newsletters and magazine. To solve this problem, I asked to cancel my membership, which was done promptly. All the mail related to Good Sam stopped. It didn't sit well with me to pay to be a member of an organization and also be sent junk mail from them.

-- Dan Meyer
Old 07-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #23

Name: Jill
Trailer: Eggcamper
Minnesota AND Florida
Registry
I just contacted my car insurance company to add my Eggcamper (which I'm picking up in 10 days) and discovered that I have RV towing coverage included. So if my TV broke down and needed to be towed, my egg will also be towed. Does everyone have this kind of coverage that comes with their RV insurance? I was surprised.
Jill
Old 07-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #24

Name: Fran L and Dave W
Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
New Mexico
Registry
Allstate offers an add-on RV Road Service package at about $9/mo.

Has anyone ever had to get their Scamp 5th wheel towed? Wonder if they could even do that?

Fran
Old 07-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I believe that you will have to pay the expenses and then seek reimbursement from your insurance company, whereas GS you pay -0-.