Good Sam - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #1

Name: Jill
Trailer: Eggcamper
Minnesota AND Florida
Registry
Good Sam

Think I read somewhere here that Good Sam is just a "partner" with Camping World Stores. Since this is my first camper, I would like to know if a membership in Good Sam is something that I should have or if it is more a marketing tool. What value is it? Thank you for your feedback. I'm so inexperienced it's kinda scary.
Jill
MinnesotaJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Check with your local AAA for rv towing, some states will not cover and Good Sam is a good alternate for road service, they will send 2 tow trucks, one for your tow and one for your trailer, AAA does not.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #3

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We've had Good Sam road service for several years, used several times satisfactorily for towing twice, flat tire service twice, lockout service once. Membership and road service are two different things and must be a member to be able to buy the road service. Good Sam rv parks give a 10% discount and Good Sam gets a discount at Camping World. All including some magazines are owned by the parent company.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I,m a Good Sam member and recommend it.

We have AAA+ with camper coverage should we need towing. They will tow up to 100 miles to a destination of your choice whereas other companies will only tow to the nearest service dealer.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Parent Company,

Affinity Group

Good Sam
Trailer Life
Woodalls
Camping World
and a few other little interest.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #6

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Hi
We joined Good Sam for the roadside assistance. Only $79. We use Woodall's Campground Directory on the road and many of the places we stayed at offered a Good Sam discount. So the membership (I think it was $20) more than paid for itself. Also, if you do shop in Camping World you get a discount. The endless mailings we get are annoying but I guess that's the price you pay...
Woodall's, Good Sam, Camping World are all part of the Infinity Group. They've got it all covered
Phil
Old 06-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
My major grumble with Good Sam is that it is very hard to tell a good Sam Newsletter from a Camping World flyer. Been a member for a year - only used their discount at some campgrounds.

The 10% discount at Camping World brings the C-W prices down to the point where they seem to be approx double what anyone else charges!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Membership and road service are two different things and must be a member to be able to buy the road service.

Hi,

Yes, Good Sam Club and Affinity Road Service, while promoted together, are separate entities. But, they can be purchased separately, independent of each other.

We are satisfied users of the road service, but have dropped our club membership, finding it geared primarily to big rig owners.

Des
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaJill View Post
Think I read somewhere here that Good Sam is just a "partner" with Camping World Stores.

What value is it?
Camping World used to have a membership called "President's Club." You had to join that to get their 10% store discount, and it was separate from Good Sam. They've always pushed membership in Good Sam, now they did away with President's Club and they've folded that benefit into Good Sam membership making the discount the basic benefit of Good Sam membership. Good Sam membership is the gateway into the Good Sam Roadside Assistance Service, which has a separate membership fee.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #10

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
There are no Good Sam Towing services in my area.
They sent a tow truck 65 miles to tow my Sunrader 3 miles to a mechanic.
No complaints on their Roadside Services.
I also gave up my Camping World/Good Sam membership as even with their discounts prices are much less on line if you don't need it immediately.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #11

Name: Jill
Trailer: Eggcamper
Minnesota AND Florida
Registry
But for these egg campers, aren't we really only talking about a possible flat tire and the rest of the roadside assistance would really be needed for the tow vehicle? Which is why I can't figure out if this Good Sam Roadside assistance program is any better than say .... AAA.
Jill
MinnesotaJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
When I first got my trailer the President's Club worked out pretty good. I was buying enough stuff to make a difference. After 6 years there's not much I need, so good bye President's Club/Good Sam.

P.S. I was a member of Good Sam years ago. I don't think they'll ever stop sending their advertising junk.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Check with your local AAA for rv towing, some states will not cover and Good Sam is a good alternate for road service, they will send 2 tow trucks, one for your tow and one for your trailer, AAA does not.
AAA will prove towing services for the trailer if you purchase that option each year with your membership - or at least in BC they do. Most campgrounds that offer Good Sam discount rates will give the same discount to people with an AAA membership as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #14

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
We are new Good Sam Club members. We signed up for the roadside assistance and have been very pleased so far. Wish I had signed up just a few months earlier. Have already had a tow that paid for itself just last month. Joined the club to get a $79 roadside assistance renewal and a discount on RV parks in the city. The camping world and flying J discounts are useless to us here in canada but it is still worth joining at $20 bucks I guess.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Often, there's a really good new membership offer that gives you a pretty big discount. So, you might join under the first year discount and see how much you really use it.
Like others, I was a member for the first year or two (and I did use the store discount to stock up on trailer stuff) but, for me, I never used the campground discounts enough to justify continued membership.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #16

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
My neighbor just returned from a failed trip where he blew out 2 tires on a 5r and stated he was at the mercy of the repair facilities out there. I ask him if he was a GoodSam member and he said no.

If this happened to me the first thing I would do is to contact a local GoodSam and get the info on who/where to have my vehicle towed so I wouldn't get screwed just because of being on the road.

That is just one of the reasons I'm a GoodSam member.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #17

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaJill View Post
I can't figure out if this Good Sam Roadside assistance program is any better than say .... AAA.
Jill
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...p-38856-4.html see post #44 on Page 4.

I paid extra to have the RV endorsement added to my existing AAA account.

My breakdown in Kansas was on a 2 lane country road with no shoulder that dropped into ditches on both sides as deep as the trailer is tall. I had to pull into a stranger's driveway to get off the road. When I called the AAA number, they said I only had basic coverage for just the Odyssey and refused to consider the trailer at all. I would have had to leave the trailer in that driveway.

But in Southern California the trailer was no problem. I once called AAA for a breakdown on I-5 between LA and San Diego. They sent a flatbed truck with a hitch and transported both car and trailer. They dropped the trailer off at home and took the car to the repair shop.

In Kansas, they sent me a small crane-on-the-back tow truck who's driver was dumbfounded to find that his customer had a trailer that AAA never mentioned. I wound up having to drive the Odyssey and the Fiber Stream 13 miles at slow speed due to the misfiring engine to get to this guy's shop. I had to pay for towing over AAA's 7 mile limit even though the tow truck never hooked up, just lead the way.

There is no one national AAA. There are regional AAA "clubs" that are the members of the AAA, but you the customer are only a member of your local "club." You're taken care of within your region, but outside your home region you're at the mercy of whomever you get transferred to on the phone. Membership in AAA does not fully cover your breakdown expenses unless you buy the top tier most expensive membership with all of their itemized extra charges. An "RV" endorsement to the regular AAA membership doesn't mean much.

With Good Sam's Emergency Road Service, there are no distance limits, and there are no out-of-area exceptions, and there are no itemized extra charges. Whatever is needed to get your car AND your trailer delivered to repair facilities is fully covered. If an overnight is needed, delivering your trailer to a suitable campsite is included.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #18

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i think nit totaly depends on where you camp and what your needs are. we camp primarely at state and national campgrounds so no discount,,, plus next year we get the gold pass for nationals.
a gew months of membership fees left in the bank covers any road service. and i don;t like campers world so thats no help
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I am a GS member and I recently bought the trailer insurance, but my tow vehicle's insurance has towing coverage for very little cost so I don't have GS roadside assistance. If my trailer has a problem, I most likely can change the tire or still tow it at low speed for a ways... or in a pinch, pay for it to be carried somewhere (but that's pretty unlikely to be needed IMO).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:43 AM   #20

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I am a GS member and I recently bought the trailer insurance, but my tow vehicle's insurance has towing coverage for very little cost so I don't have GS roadside assistance. If my trailer has a problem, I most likely can change the tire or still tow it at low speed for a ways... or in a pinch, pay for it to be carried somewhere (but that's pretty unlikely to be needed IMO).
But what happens if they have to tow your tow vehicle? Your trailer will be left behind. With G/S they always send 2 tow vehicles, one for your trailer and one for your car. they will tow your car to garage and your trailer to a campground to camp while your car is being fixed.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote