Got the truck now what hitch? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
Got the truck now what hitch?

I may need to post this on another forum but I know many of you have owned larger trailers so...

Our Bigfoot came with a Reese Trunnion Bar Weight Distribution Hitch. We used it and a buddy's truck to get the Bigfoot home. Since we have our own truck now I'm researching different hitches to see if this one would suffice or if we should get a different one. Of course, I have been suckered by the Hensley marketing and really like the Hensley Arrow. We will be traveling full time and I expect our camper to weigh 7000lbs. We are also considering an axle swap to get another 1000lbs in CCC so we may be pulling close to 8000lbs at some point.

As always, any and all ideas welcome.

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool I vote to keep using the Trunnions

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fazio View Post
Our Bigfoot came with a Reese Trunnion Bar Weight Distribution Hitch.

I'm researching different hitches to see if this one would suffice or if we should get a different one. Of course, I have been suckered by the Hensley marketing and really like the Hensley Arrow.
In 10 years of trailering I have seen only ONE Hensley Arrow. The vast majority of Weight Distribution Hitches I have observed in this community are Round Bar Weight Distribution Hitch. I use Trunnion Bars myself, because they came with my trailer and I don't see a pressing need to part with more money than I have to. Other systems on my trailer have got that parting with money thing down pat.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Reese SC

I use the Reese hitch which has dual functionality of sway control and weight distribution on my 21” trailer. It is similar to Equalizer brand except for sway control it uses friction pads instead of just steel on steel as on the Equalizer. Friction pads, just like in brakes are quieter and less erratic; imagine steel pads on steel rotors. Hitch is easy to set, especially with an electric jack.
Reese SC Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion - 10,000 lbs GTW, 800 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66153
Equal-i-zer® Hitch - Product Info

Congratulation on your TV, you have the best truck diesel engine.

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
IIRC the inventor of the Hensley went off and started a new company. The new hitch is called Pro-Pride, I think, and has been out for a while now. Supposedly it is improved over the original Hensley Arrow.

I have used an Equal-i-zer brand hitch for a couple of years when I had a 23' Rockwood. It worked fine. I was towing with a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer (twin to Explorer) and I sure could feel the difference vs. towing without, which I only did one time when bringing it home from the dealership. Felt very squirrelly on just the stinger, but nice and solid with the EQ.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #5

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I'd stay with what came with the unit as long as it works for the TV.
Reese is a good name.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #6

Thanks everyone. We'll start out weekending and the occasional week-long trips with the Reese Trunnion but long-term I'm thinking we'd want integrated sway control, not a bolt on friction type. Its the windy parts of North America that have me thinking we may need to change hitches.

I checked out the Pro-Pride and added it to my list, thanks for the lead.

George - I couldn't agree more, now if the truck holds up too that would be great!

-John
Old 01-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #7

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Reese Trunnion Bar Weight Distribution Hitch.
I use a Reese Trunnion, on my 25 Ft car hauler, and pull 10,000 lb, works very nice, I have pulled it from Michigan to Kansas, the hitch made easy work of it.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #8

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
John, when are you planning on going full time? Were thinking of around 4 to 5 years and I'm researching trailers in the meantime. I'm thinking of also going with a Bigfoot as one of the options, but getting an older crummy one and redoing the interior. We are concerned if we can be in that small of space for years without a slide out, but were are still talking and looking.

I hope you will have a blog when you do go so I can keep up with how your doing with living in a fiberglass unit.

I have also been researching different hitches and after looking at the two expensive ones, Propride and Hensley, and I like the Propride the best. At certain times of the year you can get them much cheaper from the factory when they are gearing up to build, I don't know the time. I also noted that a lot of people have the Reese Dual cam with anti sway and are happy with that one, but it does require you to drill holes into the trailer frame.

When we full time, I want a system that we can use with the least amount of hassle, and the time when we first set up the rig this will be the when we have the most amount of money coming in, so spending extra on a more expensive hitch now makes sense, then being unhappy and changing it down the road. I also found that when you eventually sell your used hitch you will get more money to offset the initial cost. In the end just research your heart out, there's tons of info out on the web.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Hi John,

I am with Daniel, I see no reason to spend additional money on another hitch, especially with the tow vehicle you have. The 25RQ is a stable trailer. Save your money.

I pull mine with a Ford F-150 with HD tow package and a cheap Camper World equalizer hitch, no sway control. I have a lot of experience towing. I have pulled this setup around 15,000 miles all over the western US and there have been no problems with sway.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0405-1.JPG   IMG_0977-3.JPG  

Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #10

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I've towed all over the country without sway control and have never had any sway. We do have a good quality hitch properly set up. In my own mind I can't figure out how those friction sway things can do any good since they've gotta be able to slide back & forth. Don't need an equalizing hitch with our Egg Camper but we definitely do with our Kodiak.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH
John, when are you planning on going full time? Were thinking of around 4 to 5 years and I'm researching trailers in the meantime. I'm thinking of also going with a Bigfoot as one of the options, but getting an older crummy one and redoing the interior. We are concerned if we can be in that small of space for years without a slide out, but were are still talking and looking.

I hope you will have a blog when you do go so I can keep up with how your doing with living in a fiberglass unit.

I have also been researching different hitches and after looking at the two expensive ones, Propride and Hensley, and I like the Propride the best. At certain times of the year you can get them much cheaper from the factory when they are gearing up to build, I don't know the time. I also noted that a lot of people have the Reese Dual cam with anti sway and are happy with that one, but it does require you to drill holes into the trailer frame.

When we full time, I want a system that we can use with the least amount of hassle, and the time when we first set up the rig this will be the when we have the most amount of money coming in, so spending extra on a more expensive hitch now makes sense, then being unhappy and changing it down the road. I also found that when you eventually sell your used hitch you will get more money to offset the initial cost. In the end just research your heart out, there's tons of info out on the web.
Hey Danny,

I'm at a conference so that's the reason for my delayed response. We want to launch this September. The best advice I can give about trailer size is figure out if you're an RVer or a camper. You may be wrong at first but that's the best start. Getting past the weekend style camping and into the living mind frame is hard and we still struggle when planning. Our main decision points for the Bigfoot were: it's short enough to fit in most State and National parks, no slides since some parks have lots of trees and the campsite is narrow, no slides to have to deal with i.e. access to entire camper is always the same, thick walled and well insulated with thermal or dual pane windows, heated and enclosed tanks, a couch instead of a dinette, fiberglass fiberglass fiberglass! We wanted the 21RB and ended up finding a used 25RQ and are happy it worked out that way. Having the separate space in the back breaks up the camper just enough for those times when one of us is ill. It also provides a great space for a living room if I were ever included to redesign the layout.

I agree about the hitches and that money upfront is way easier than while on the road. I will be building a website/blog to help stay connected with everyone and share our triumphs and failures. Feel free to PM me at anytime to ask any questions or if you just need a sound board. It's great to have and share dreams... Especially when they're in motion.

-John