Hauling Bicyce between TV and trailer - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-21-2016, 10:18 AM   #1
Name: Ron
Trailer: 2004 trillium outback
Hauling Bicyce between TV and trailer

I am exploring whether I can haul a couple bikes between my TV and my trillium outback using a Curt 45810 hitch and a bike rack added to it. Has anyone done this? Is there enough space back there to clear the tongue jack, propane tank(s), etc. Having read many comments on NOT putting it on the rear bumper of the trailer, I am thinking an up-front solution might work. My TV is a Subaru Forester so can't do it up front on the car.
Hitch looks like this:

Ak Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Don't most Subarus have a hitch weight limit of 200 pounds? I think you'll likely exceed that. Also, the longer shank on the drawbar puts the ball further aft, increasing the lever effect and reducing towing stability.

Several forum members built custom racks over the battery/propane tank close to the shell. That would be a little better for tongue weight and a lot better for turning and hatch clearance.

In my mind the best solution would be a roof mount system on the Forester. That way you can take the bikes somewhere away from camp to ride if desired.

Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:06 PM   #3
Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
We just put the bikes inside our TV and the boats on top so we can drop the camper and explore the waters and trails. Our TV is a Chevy Trailblazer so there is plenty of room inside.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:01 AM   #4
Name: John
Trailer: 98 Scamp 16ft.
British Columbia
WE had a problem with sway when the bikes were on the back ended up taking front wheels off and securing the forks to mounts that I bolted to the under side of the hatch covers. So I just remove front wheel flip over the hatch covers and secure the bikes. The added weight up front has been a good thing. Sorry can't figure out how to add pics. Cheers JT
JT33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:54 PM   #5
Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
I and my local welder made an addition to my hitch that accommodates a bike rack. It does limit your turning so you need to watch your turning when it's in use. The bumper on the TV does handle the weight better than the trailer.
Good Luck,
The earth without art is just eh....
crowwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:04 PM   #6
Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Keep in mind that, boat or bicycle, you want to be able to get to the trailhead or the boat launch, without dragging the trailer along.
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #7
Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
I suspect that a standard bicycle is about as long as the Forester is wide, so you will effectively be extending the Forester by the the length of the mount and the 1/2 the width of the bicycles.

When you back up in a tight turn, how much clearance do you have now? With the new effective length of the tow, your clearance will be reduced that much.

Good luck with your decision.

You may want to check the customer reviews for this product on Amazon. It doesn't work for everybody.

The Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote