hauling bicycles - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2016, 02:00 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: In the market
Texas
hauling bicycles

Have a 2014 Aliner Ranger 12, pulled by 2011 Durango without a roof rails. Have two 20 lb propane tanks on front and the battery. Would like to use a dual hitch receiver to add a bicycle rack for two bikes between Durango and trailer. The receiver on the Durango says tongue weight max is 500 lbs. Is this therefore doable or are there other things to consider?
I have a receiver on the back of the trailer, but it is inconveniently located under the spare tire, and the bumper says it has a 125 lb weight limit.
rattletrap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
The 125 pound limit on the back of the trailer is probably not due to the strength of the weld, more likely the limit was probably established by the manufacturer for anti-sway concerns. Could try it and if trailer doesn't sway at highway speed, you are probably OK. I doubt the tongue weight of the Aliner is so heavy that adding a bike rack at that position will cause the tongue weight limit to be exceeded.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 03-03-2016, 02:18 PM   #3

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Unless you're going to fabricate a rack that carries the bikes above the propane tanks somehow, I'd think that the bikes would be in danger of being crushed when backing into tight spaces. If you had something other than a fold-down, my suggestion would be to carry the bikes in the trailer. They're safe and out of the weather that way. I did that for years. Absent that, I'd look into a roof rack for your Durango by one of the bike rack companies. That's probably the safest and best place to carry them with your setup.

Carrying them on the back of the trailer subjects them to some pretty nasty slinging around at the end of the fulcrum back there, not to mention road dirt and grime and that it's hard to keep track of what they're doing when you can't see them. You can't see them on top either, but the racks that carry them there are a LOT more secure.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
A roof rack on your A liner might be a good choice. The bikes would still be easily accessible and low enough behind the TV.
Only problem is how it might affect set-up of the trailer, they may need to be removed first.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:22 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Those dual receivers supposedly decrease the vehicle hitch capacity by 50%. There may be a sticker on it that states that fact although the one I bought did not. I don't use it. A topic that has been discussed several times. Bikes can be a big pain to deal with. I've used various methods, currently they are in the truck bed, front wheels off, standing upright with the forks secured in hold down brackets that I bought at etrailer
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:56 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I had the same problem, especially when I bought a vintage moped to bring along. My solution is to use a front mounted receiver and use a standard rack system. I quickly looked and a front receiver is available for your Durango CURT Manufacturing - CURT Front Mount Hitch #31033
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #7

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Man that's expensive!

But yeah, front mount hitch is probably the best solution.

I was looking into somewhere to mount my bike, too, which is how I happened on this thread. But I'm pretty sure mine's just going in the back of my truck. I think that's the most easily accessible -while almost completely out of my way- place.

A little harder with a Durango I guess.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:57 PM   #8

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Man that's expensive!

But yeah, front mount hitch is probably the best solution.

I was looking into somewhere to mount my bike, too, which is how I happened on this thread. But I'm pretty sure mine's just going in the back of my truck. I think that's the most easily accessible -while almost completely out of my way- place.

A little harder with a Durango I guess.
Amazon.com: curt 31033

That's why I bought mine from Amazon
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:03 PM   #9

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Yes, that's more what I'd expect a hitch to cost
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:11 PM   #10

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Folding bikes would easily fit in the back of the Durango.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:17 PM   #11

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
John, Have you checked out what Arvika (Canada) offers?

Arvika - Home

One of their products is a bike rack that mounts to the a-frame tongue rails of a camper and secures the bikes above the propane tank(s)/battery(ies). We saw one at the Green Eggs & Ham Rally near Montgomery, AL, last year (coming up again this weekend!). It was well-built, looked great, and the owner loved it. He said the biggest drawback was that the bikes, mounted crosswise high on the front of the camper, caught a lot of bugs going down the road, so you need some good bug cleaner when you reach your destination. Check them out if you haven't already....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote