Hauling with a Subaru - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-12-2007, 03:16 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
When I was worrying about towing my sailboat (about 1000 pounds unloaded but less drag than a trailer) with my Forester (5 speed manual, no towing package) someone pointed out to me that in Australia the same car is rated for twice the towing capacity- 2000 lbs without brakes, 4000 with. I had no problems with 1000 lbs without brakes, but it did slow me down somewhat and I, too, was glad of the extra kick you get with manual transmission.

Bobbie

Thanks Bobbie I am not worried about the weight being to much for the car as I was that the same car in Australia is allowed to tow much more than here.
More worried about staying on the right side of the law in regards to what we tow. I lot of spot checks on that on the road sides here last summer and a lot of people got caught hauling more than what the TV was rated for both in trailer weight and tongue weight.

Carol

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
California
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
I was very intreasted in this thread as I have an 07 Subaru Outback & I am wondering what others might considering tow with it as we are in the market for a trailer.

Subaru Outback towing rate is 3000 lbs with breaks. Max Tongue of 200 lbs.
Carol
I have a 05 Toyota Tacoma with a 4 cyl. engine and a man. tran. with a tow rating of 3500 lbs. I could not imagine coming close to the 3500 lb limit.
All manufactures rate their towing capacities on level ground. I sold my 14' Burro Wide body and bought a 13 ft Scamp. I am now towing about 1900 lbs and it's OK but still slow on some long hills.
Personal opinion, if you get anything larger than a 13' fiber glass unit you will be disappointed, especially if you plan to do any traveling in the MTS.
What ever you tow with your Subaru if you have an automatic transmission have a transmission cooler installed.

Good luck in your search,
John

Old 03-17-2007, 01:25 PM   #17

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
We have been towing a 16' Scamp with brakes using our 2005 Subaru Outback 4 cyl auto trans for about 2 yrs. While we haven't tackled any really high mountains, we have traveled all over the northeast and been extremely happy with our rig. The Subaru owner's manual has extensive information about towing and we follow their recommendations carefully. Our mechanic says that if we do so we do not need a transmission cooler. However, the air temperature and long incline limits referred to in the manual so far have not applied to our driving conditions. We don't get in a hurry, especially in wet weather. I don't think I'd want to try it without brakes though.. It's great to be able to use our economical daily commuting car as a tow vehicle and not have to purchase a truck or SUV with the associated high costs.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:49 PM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
We have been towing a 16' Scamp with brakes using our 2005 Subaru Outback 4 cyl auto trans for about 2 yrs. While we haven't tackled any really high mountains, we have traveled all over the northeast and been extremely happy with our rig. The Subaru owner's manual has extensive information about towing and we follow their recommendations carefully. Our mechanic says that if we do so we do not need a transmission cooler. However, the air temperature and long incline limits referred to in the manual so far have not applied to our driving conditions. We don't get in a hurry, especially in wet weather. I don't think I'd want to try it without brakes though.. It's great to be able to use our economical daily commuting car as a tow vehicle and not have to purchase a truck or SUV with the associated high costs.

Thanks Mary for this info. It is looking very much as though my partner will only settle on a 16' Scamp. He also will not purchase a larger SUV due to green issues.

The local Subaru dealer told me the same thing about the cooler said it should not be needed providing we stay within the allowed weights and out of high temp areas.

What is the configuration of your Scamp?
I wondered if you had every weighed the tongue once you loaded the trailer up and what it came out at. What is a typical load up for you? I am assuming you do not haul with water in the tanks?

We living on the West Coast so not sure we can avoid the hills all that well. We actually live on a rather large one so the weight is of concern to me. It's my daily ride so I would like to be nice to it. It's actually our third Subaru Outback - we find them to be a great all round car.

Carol
Old 03-20-2007, 07:18 PM   #19

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Carol, my 16' Scamp Custom Deluxe side dinette tipped in (as equipped, according to Scamp) at about 2800 lbs dry. The tongue weight would be roughly 15% of that weight or a little over 300 lbs. The standard 16' trailers will weigh about 500 lbs less (dry). I think it's too much trailer for your Subaru. I towed it with a 3.0l Toyota extended cab 4WD pickup with a 3500 lb weight max, and I wouldn't have wanted to tow another ounce with it.

My advice would be to stick with the 13' trailers with your Subaru. Depending on equipment they'll range between 1200 and 2000 lbs dry with tongue weights in your ballpark.

Roger
Old 03-20-2007, 08:01 PM   #20

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Carol, I think it will be difficult to find a trailer over 13' with a tongue weight within your range, unless it is a European model designed to go with their normal practices; the 15% guideline Roger mentioned (which is more generally expressed as a minimum of 10% in North America) is replaced by some much lower value there, so trailers have more centrally located axles and thus less tongue weight (part of the reason that tow ratings are higher for the same model overseas than here).

If the appeal of the Scamp 16' is the ability to have that full time bed and dinette, then perhaps a 13' custom layout with two-person front dinette is the answer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:51 AM   #21

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
To All
We have no plans at all to get anything bigger then the Lady-Bug 13 ft Boler but even at that the dry weight at around 1200# I would be carefull not to go overboard with my packing.
Things add up quick with extra tanks of gas and the battery and screen house and chairs and cookwear and and and...
We are still just in the looking stage and my wife who does the driveing is still not convinced that a Subaru will do the job and as the Toyota needs replaceing also we may get a newer model truck and newer model Subaru and if the Subaru just so happends to have a tow pkg. on it it will be an extra and if we plan trips not going over the White Mts we could take that.
gerry
Old 03-21-2007, 10:01 AM   #22

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
For all of you who tow a trailer with a Subaru, what is your usual highway mileage and what do you get with the trailer? I wish I could remember what I got pulling the boat, but I know it wasn't under 20 (normal is about 28 highway.)

Bobbie
Old 03-21-2007, 09:08 PM   #23

British Columbia
Registry
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. It easy to find trailers over 13' that come in under the 3000lb weight limit of the Outback but agree it is really had to find something over 13' with a tongue weight less than the 200 lb limit. Just have to convince my better half that a 16' is a bad idea! The problem here is that there are few Scamps around for him to look at in order to realize he could probable live with a 13'.

Bobby I have never towed with the Subaru so can't answer your question re gas milage but I can tell you that my 07 is not getting as good as milage as my previous two Outbacks did. Not a big difference perhaps only a few miles to the gallon less but enough that I have noticed it. Not sure of all the differences between the new one and the old 01 but this one is an LTD with a lot more options......perhaps it weighs a bit more. Regardless I still like the car as a great car for the city, ski hill and hauling the dogs around and hopefull one day very soon it will be pulling a Scamp.

Carol
Old 03-22-2007, 08:01 AM   #24

Trailer: Bigfoot
Manitoba
Quote:
For all of you who tow a trailer with a Subaru, what is your usual highway mileage and what do you get with the trailer? I wish I could remember what I got pulling the boat, but I know it wasn't under 20 (normal is about 28 highway.)

Bobbie
Our last big trip ran about 18 mpg - with a heavy load, in the mountains. Speed makes a huge difference. 90 Kph (54 mph) results in noticeably better mileage than 105 (63 mph). I normally get 28 highway.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:09 AM   #25

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
18mpg is about right for us, and we tow at 55-60mph.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:51 AM   #26

Quote:
What is the configuration of your Scamp?
I wondered if you had every weighed the tongue once you loaded the trailer up and what it came out at. What is a typical load up for you? I am assuming you do not haul with water in the tanks?
Our 1998 Scamp has a table/bed in the rear and a bathroom/shower on the side, two bunks in the front. The last trip we took in the fall the loaded camper was 2040 lbs. and the tongue weight was 250 lbs. We usually don't fill up the water tank until we arrive at or near our destination.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:55 AM   #27

Quote:

Bobbie

I get 29 mpg without and 19 mpg while towing the Scamp (16 ft., 2040 lbs.). I have found that my mileage is best at 55-60 mph. This is with a 4 cyl Subaru. The sixes would probably be a little different.

BTW - My mechanic brother reminds me to tow in 3rd gear, not drive (I have an automatic.), especially on hills. This keeps the transmission from shifting so much and saves wear.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:46 AM   #28

Quote:
Our 1998 Scamp has a table/bed in the rear and a bathroom/shower on the side, two bunks in the front. The last trip we took in the fall the loaded camper was 2040 lbs. and the tongue weight was 250 lbs. We usually don't fill up the water tank until we arrive at or near our destination.

I really appreciate the in depth discussions on this list regarding safe towing. For those of you who are concerned about our tongue weight, I want to reassure you that we took corrective measures by moving our dog and her travel crate from the front bunk to the rear bed.

Mary