Hauling with a Subaru - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-02-2007, 07:10 PM   #29
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Hello all,
I have a Subaru (Forester) and a Trillium 4500 and have just gotten the hitch and brakes, etc. set up. Going to use our trailer for the first time this Summer and am so excited, I actually have dreams about it! A little nervous about going on the road, obviously - a first timer is almost always nervous and I am wondering if I need sway bars or if they even exist for a class II hitch. Does anyone know? Does anyone with a Subaru have sway bars? And if yes, what kind? I've looked all over the internet and can't find anything?

Hope everyone is having a great Summer,
Freedom and friendship to all,

Fabienne M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:50 PM   #30
Trailer: Bigfoot
Hey Fabienne
My Surfside is pretty much a match for your 4500, and I tow with a 98 Forester, no brakes. As long as your suspension isn't sacked (mine was) and your tire pressure is good, you should have no problems. Don't drive too fast, and leave yourself some braking room in traffic. Have a great time and let us know how it went.

Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:53 PM   #31
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
... I am wondering if I need sway bars or if they even exist for a class II hitch.
Weight distributing hitch (WDH) systems are only available for hitches with a 2" square receiver box, which means generally not Class II hitch receivers (like mine, most are 1.25" square). That means that if by "sway bar" you mean WDH, they are not available.

Many "sway control" devices are add-ons to WDH systems, so they're out too.

That just leaves friction-type sway control devices. They can be added to any size of hitch (easily to most Class II and Class III hitches)... if for some reason you want one.
1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:38 PM   #32
Trailer: U-Haul 1984 13VT
We have Lady-bug, a 13 foot Boler, no brakes, and actualy bought it last year with thoughts of hauling with our Subaru Outback. NO TOW PKG.
The Outback has a 4 cylinder and is an automatic with a tow rateing of 2000 lbs which is well above the dry weight of the camper and I would assume under the full weight because with just the wife and I, we travel lite.
On another forum someone said they had a Subaru Outback and they went cross country with simmilar trailer and it with no problems.
I asked this person a few questions but because my questions were a bit off track of the forum's subject I got no response so I ask them here.
Will my Outback, with a properly installed hitch do OK?
Is it an expensive deal to have a transmission cooling system installed in Car?
I'm just about ready to start hauling my 13ft u-haul with a 4cyl Dodge stratus, so I look at these threads with a great deal of interest.
. As a mechanic I must inform you that some cars already have coolers on them from the factory. I dont know the Subys well enough to say one way or another, but it is somthing to consider.
Dennis Kelderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:49 AM   #33
Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B
We are not really shopping for a new car yet (but I am always looking!! much toi dh chagrin) but I noticed that the subaru really has a low tongue weight.
I think 150 pounds???
With a couple propane tanks and a battery--I know we are over that so that is why I have discounted a subaru for us..
Anyone know any different??

Doug & Anna-Marie P is offline   Reply With Quote