Have brake controller and wiring harness but... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2016, 10:32 AM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Have brake controller and wiring harness but...

Hi all,

I am sure the new Ford Flex has many features that I still need to familiarize myself with. Most are intuitive.

I received the brake controlled from eTrailer yesterday and was easy to install under the dash on the left.

However, there is a "dummy" plug on the Class III tow package connector under the dash. Almost no room for arms or hands under there, but it would seem to be an easy push on connection once the dummy is removed.

I have not been able to remove this dummy plug. It has a small black tab that seems like if pried away the plug shoudl slide off. Not happeing. This black tab appears to be like a zip tie to keep the plug snug on the wiring under the dash.

Wondering if I can just cut this off and add a new zip tie to secure it in place. The fancy "Ford" tie has a retangular protrubrance on one side that the plug slides onto.

Nothing found on-line about how to remove this dummy connector, nor anything related to this connection in the new user's manual.

Any ideas/suggestions from more experainced Ford folks?

Bat Dude
Old 12-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Just go to any Ford dealership and ask them to show you how it is removed. Most dealerships will do it for no charge, on the spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-23-2016, 11:09 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I agree
In fact i had same issue w/ my tacoma
They found the plug/ which was hidden behind dash/ made the connection up all at no charge took him 5 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I did the same thing on my Ridgeline. I went to the dealer and asked them to find the connector and pull it out where the installer could find it. They were happy to provide the customer service.

I did have my brake controller installed by an RV shop but probably could have done it myself.

1970 Trails West Campster
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:46 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
When I have questions like that I look for a model forum, ie google Ford Flex forum and see what pops up. Usually some nice soul has published the answer I'm looking for, many times with pictures.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:45 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
Same thing. Had the dealership plug in my brake controller (no charge). Mounted it under the dash myself in my 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Walt
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #7

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
When I have questions like that I look for a model forum, ie google Ford Flex forum and see what pops up. Usually some nice soul has published the answer I'm looking for, many times with pictures.
The Ford Truck Enthusiasts message board has a Flex forum: Crossovers - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums . Not too active but may help with this question and perhaps others too.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote