Heavy truck not for me.... - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Heavy truck not for me....

Every year or so I get to ride in or drive a large pick up.

Today my pal picked me up in his Dodge 2500Hd with Hemi. He has a commercial business (doors and windows) so needs the utility. We drove to HD to pick up a new sliding glass door.

The 3 things that tuned me off most was the high ride height, rough jerky ride, and his (lol) constant complaining about the bad fuel mileage.

For what we tow and for what most of us tow here I just think there are so many other options that are much more suited to comfort, vacationing, etc.

This post is not meant to bash trucks or truck owners as there is a want and need but is to praise the more suitable alternatives.

Can't wait to test drive the VW Tig, and BMW X1 / X3.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot
Manitoba
1/2 tons are different from 3/4 tons, especially with heavy duty suspension. New 6 and 8 speed transmissions, along with engine management systems result in highway mileage up to 36 mpg. They are overly huge, however. I consider my 1993 Chevy to be a large truck, yet it is smaller than the Tacoma I parked next to the other day. Bed rails on full size trucks are over a foot taller than mine. Trucks do make for effortless towing, and permit luxuries like my 19' 5th wheel.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Cam A, "Trucks do make for effortless towing, and permit luxuries like my 19' 5th wheel."

Small tow vehicles can also make for effortless towing, while towing and at the pump. Additionally a small tow vehicle is a lot more practical for the time we're driving around and not towing, driving around miles is usually about the same as towing miles.

I do understand that you have a Scamp 19 and a truck is required.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
My 1/2 truck rides better towing than empty and I get 13 mpg, towing or not.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Old 07-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
show doesn't start for another 30 minutes, Francesca...
Old 07-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot
Manitoba
I travelled to California and back in my Forester/Surfside combo with four people and loved it. My 1/2 ton/Bigfoot combo costs 2 mpg towing over the Forester/Surfside. I have a truck in the fleet for other purposes, so the "while not towing" mileage is moot. I loved the "explorability" of the Forester rig; we could head up unknown roads (pre-GPS) birding, and not worry about whether we could get turned around.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #8

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
There's something to be said for both small vehicle and pickup. I pull with a 2005 Dakota, classed midsize 1/2 ton. It has a quite high towing capacity with the factory tow package. This gives me less worry while traveling since I'm a long ways from the maximum tow rating.

I used to tow with a 98 Blazer. The trailer towed quite nicely and the color matched the red strips on the trailer. Going up hills was sometimes slowed things down quite a bit.

One other big difference for me is load capacity inside the tow. I can and do haul a lot more stuff inside the truck bed (it has canopy and a Bed Rug) than I could in the Blazer. I could get by without my radio hobby, which I would need to, without the truck.

Another difference is I sit up higher in the truck and have better road visibility but not as high as HD pickups. The gas mileage is about 1.5 to 2 mile per gallon difference average. I make that up by staying is free or low cost places (National Forests, National Parks, BLM, Corps of Engeeniers, etc. campgrounds). Actually I enjoy those places more than any of the RV parks/resorts and State campgrounds.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #9

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
My fishing and hunting partner has a 2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with the 6.7 Liter diesel engine, 6 speed automatic transmission and the heavy duty towing pkg . The Ram 2500 gets 21 MPG towing a large boat full of gear ,fully loaded truck bed and 3 passengers at 250 lbs each. My 1/2 ton Ram with the Hemi gets 12 to 15 MPG towing my Casita . If I can afford it next year I will be looking at buying the same model truck not just for the increased mileage but also for the additional payload capacity.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #10
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
........... towing my Casita

Congratulations on the new Casita. Raz
Old 07-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #11

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
The right tow vehicle for you is the one you like best for your given situation. And for everyone, that may be different.

I know towing my Escape 19 with either my Ford F250 with Powerstroke diesel, or my Honda Pilot, the fuel economy is not much different, and the Ford has way more power if needed as it hardly knows I had the trailer in tow. However, when travelling includes lots of miles of driving without towing, the Pilot wins hands down. Pure comfort, Pilot.
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #12
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
show doesn't start for another 30 minutes, Francesca...
At the rate she is wolfing down the kernels there will be a popcorn shortage in Washington by day's end!!
Old 07-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #13

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
At the rate she is wolfing down the kernels there will be a popcorn shortage in Washington by day's end!!

The popcorn's holding out all right but the wash-it-down beer's starting to run short.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #14

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I almost bought a 2000 Tundra, back in 2000. It rode really well for a truck. Instead I went for the Mountaineer, mainly for its looks I guess... bad reason to buy... the thing rides very poorly and has more rattles and squeaks than any vehicle I've ever known.

Then Ford started making F150s with a pretty nice ride. Tempting, but at that point the wife wanted something more carlike. It's just as well, because a pickup hooked to a trailer will not fit in my driveway without sticking out into the street!

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote