Hello, New to FGRV & Casita - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-23-2015, 07:29 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois L View Post
Read through the owners manual quite a few times, it just says put gear shift lever in the "M" position, then use + or - to shift up or down. No great detail at all. Yes, it did go into 4 by itself, my sisters witnessed it, so I plan on taking it in. Bought the extended warranty, so why not use it, right? Older cars were so much simpler... *sigh* Thank you all.
I looked up your owner's manual online, and you're right- it doesn't say much. In any case, it's probably a good idea to take it in. It should only move one gear at a time with the +/- buttons. When you're discussing the problem with the service advisor, you can pick his/her brain about the best way to use the transmission when towing. Let them know it's a fairly light trailer (1500-1800 pounds loaded).

The manual supports what others have said and only mentions downshifting on hills (in the towing section). With a small trailer in normal conditions on flat(ish) terrain, you should be fine to leave it in D. When climbing or descending a grade, that's the time to put in M and downshift. I would do it that way when you pull the trailer home this weekend.

Best wishes with your new Casita! All this uncertainty will sort itself out. My mother's RV also has an 8-speed transmission with a manual mode like yours. I had to help her figure that out so we could caravan to a campsite through a steep winding canyon. She did fine. You will, too.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #16

Name: Eileen
Trailer: 2015 Casita SD 17
Florida
Lois:
Welcome to the Casita Clan!
Looks like you have safety as a priority.
Enjoy your travels.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:51 AM   #17

Name: Lois
Trailer: Casita
Nebraska
Because northeastern NE is very hilly and I was fighting high winds. The MKX was constantly shifting in overdrive and from what I've read in the manual and here, its best to drop down to a lower gear.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:56 AM   #18

Nebraska
Goodness, I missed the other posts. Thank you all so much! Yes, I am a safety nut and probably worry too much, lol.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:12 AM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois L View Post
Because northeastern NE is very hilly and I was fighting high winds. The MKX was constantly shifting in overdrive and from what I've read in the manual and here, its best to drop down to a lower gear.

And you did well. That's exactly what it's for- to keep the transmission from hunting back and forth between gears.

My mother's problem was the opposite of yours: she was afraid to use the manual mode at all. She seemed to think "M" meant "mayhem" LOL.

When towing on hills or against a headwind, don't be afraid to let the engine rev a bit. 2500-3000 RPMs on a moderate grade and 3000-3500 RPMs on a steeper grade is easier on the engine and transmission that letting it struggle at low RPMs in a higher gear. Downhill is just as important as uphill to control speed and save your brakes.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:37 PM   #20

Nebraska
Thank you so much Jon. Your mom sounds like a lot of fun! It may take awhile, but thinking positive that I will figure out this "mayhem" gear. 😉
Old 05-24-2015, 09:36 AM   #21

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
Ohio
Computer controlled transmissions will shift (override) regardless of what you have selected if certain perimeters are met like low or high rpms.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:24 PM   #22

Nebraska
Oh, that's probably what's happening. Makes a lot of sense. Thank you! My MKX is not possessed. 😄

Tags
casita