HELP! 13ft Scamp Deluxe VERY difficult to tow - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-20-2006, 06:32 PM   #15

Trailer:
Jeff,

A dumb question for you - but I'm guessing that by now you're open to all suggestions. Is there anything under the trailer that could be blocking off the airflow passing under it? Clearly it must be in its right place when stationary, or you would have already noticed it, but maybe it gets pulled down by the airflow under the trailer and then blocks if off.

The ideas I'm having are:
- is there a grey water tank that's being pulled down?
- has part of the floor delaminated and that is being pulled down?

Presumably getting someone to follow you well back would enable them to see if there's anything moving around underneath.

And, no, I'm not volunteering to hang upside-down off a vehicle in the next lane to look for you....

Andrew

Old 06-20-2006, 07:00 PM   #16

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Arizona
That Scamp didn't use to be used as a tractor-sled used in towing contests did it?

This sounds like an underpowered tow vehicle problem (despite the specs - perhaps a tuneup is needed?) and it would certainly be interesting to find someone towing a 17' Casita and have them test out your Scamp.

At speeds of 35-50 it would seem with a 3,375# towing capacity vehicle that it could easily maintain and increase speeds uphill. To eliminate the two vehicle from the equation, I guess you could rent or borrow an F250 or similar and do some tests yourself.

Certainly an interesting puzzle.

Old 06-20-2006, 07:00 PM   #17

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
We towed a 13 foot Casita Patriot Deluxe all over the country with a 1998 Toyota Tacoma truck with 5 speed standard trandmission with a 3.55 rear axle ratio. Bilstein shocks and airlifts on the back. I know exactly what you are talking about. It was a miserable experience. Second and third gear up the hills on the interstates with 18 wheelers passing us running twenty or thirty miles per hour faster than we were able to go.. One of the happiest days of my life was when we were hit by a drunk with no insurance. We had to replace the truck, so we purchased a replacement that was capable of towing the trailer not just pulling it.

Nick
Old 06-20-2006, 07:50 PM   #18

Trailer: 1997 13 ft Scamp Deluxe and 2006 Airstream 75th Anniversary International Bambi Prototype
Hi Andrew...

Yes, I've thought of that. When I had my friend tow the trailer with his F-250 I closely followed looking for anything and everything acting as a wind-dam. Nothing of the sort was found. I've been under the trailer checking it thoroughly, as I have flood damage to the floor from Katrina that I have to eventually fix...but its not causing any resistance.

Hi Patrick...

All of my vehicles are maintained in absolute pristine shape regarding the mechanicals and maintenance. Remember, the engine in the Caravan is new as the engine blew in Arizona...and the new engine doesn't pull ANY different from the original. The new transmission and suspension components didn't help either. Like I said, the Trans-Am is well suited for any heavy duty towing as the rear end and rear suspension and clutch have been seriously beefed up. But, like I stated, its still towing WRONG. I used to tow a 24ft trailer with my Dad's old Dodge, bone stock from the factory, with limited power, no maintenance, no extra towing package items added...and it towed much easier than this, without failure, without a transmission cooler, and it rang up 90000 miles doing it.

Also, to those offering advice to tow the trailer with a truck...that's been attempted, with an F-250, and I had the same results. Overly difficult to tow. Also remember a giant tow truck slowed down towing this trailer...see my previous posts.

This just makes NO sense.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:10 PM   #19

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
Hello everyone...I am so hoping that someone could shed some new light on my dilemma.

I have a 13ft Scamp Deluxe.
My loaded wet weight is 2480lbs.

My problem is the immense difficulty this trailer poses to tow.

The vehicle I'm currently towing it with is a 6 cylinder Dodge Caravan, which does fine on staight roads with no wind. The second you get the slightest bit of headwind or the smallest of hills (I mean the kind of hills you don't even SEE but for some reason you slow down) I usually have to drop it into 2nd gear and creep along at 35-40mph. Any bit of wind on top of that is excruciating. It just feels like I can't go. The van is highly modified for towing as well, including ram air cold air induuction, 2.5" dual exhaust with no catalytic converter, lightweight rims/tires, timing advanced, larger throttle body, air shocks, new wheel bearings, new struts/springs, class 3 hitch, external extra cooling fans, giant transmission cooler, etc...

I evacuated from Hurricane Katrina in this van pulling the Scamp,

My wheel bearings have been serviced recently, and it made no difference whatsoever.

I even replaced the wheels/tires, which may have been a mistake...my trailer originally came with 13 inch steel wheels, and I installed 14 inch steel "Smoothies" which are still very heavy (not much heavier than the originals) and Good Year Aquatred tires, which are very heavy tires. I'm thinking that the heavier wheels/tires may be giving me SOME added rolling resistance, but not really enough to cause the drastic problem I have...but anyway I'm in the process of changing the wheels/tires once again; this time with aluminum Torq Thrust rims, larger 15 inch diameter with a lower profile lighter weight radial.

Please someone, shed some light on my situation. Once again, I've done everything I can think of to make it tow easier...both to the tow vehicles and trailer. [b]When I evacuated, I easily had 1000 pounds of extra stuff in the van and trailer with me...and once I unloaded all that stuff, the trailer did NOT tow any better...the extra weight didn't seem to slow me down one bit compared to the unloaded weight. It felt exactly the same.

No one has been able to offer me a clue at any shop.

If anyone has any helpful ideas, PLEASE let me know.

Please help.
I have a 16' Fiber Stream that when fully loaded (My Weight Story HERE) I now guesstimate to weigh [b]2700 pounds, after adding an air conditioner.

I tow it with a 2003 Honda Odyssey [b]LX, to which I added: Transmission Cooler, Power Sreering Cooler, (Honda parts; not generic), class III receiver, Prodigy Brake Controller, and I use a Weight Distributing Hitch with 350 pound spring arms. [b]Honda says I can tow 3500 pounds equipped this way [b]IF there are NO MORE THAN 2 PERSONS (of 150 pounds each) riding in the 7 passenger van. My towing capacity drops to 3000 pounds if there are 6 persons (of 150 pounds each) riding in the van. If a 7th person (of 150 pounds) rides in the van, the towing capacity drops to [b]350 pounds! Ten percent of the capacity with only two persons! The reason for such a significant drop between the 6th and 7th persons (other than the 1050 pounds of weight) is Location, Location, Location. The 7th person sits in the center of the 3rd row seat, Aft of the Rear Axle. Think leverage and friction.

Some random thoughts...
How high (or low) does your Scamp sit relative to the pavement?
How much clearance is there between the tire tread and the wheel well?
Where is your trailer's Center of Gravity?

I concur with Andrew:
Quote:
Presumably getting someone to follow you well back would enable them to see if there's anything moving around (or dragging) underneath.
I know I haven't found you answer. But I hope I've pointed your thinking in a new direction...
Old 06-20-2006, 08:17 PM   #20

Trailer: 1997 13 ft Scamp Deluxe and 2006 Airstream 75th Anniversary International Bambi Prototype
Hi Fred...

I have no one else in my vehicles but me and two dogs. As my previous posts show, I easily had 1000+ pounds of extra cargo with me when I evactuated for Katrina. I assumed, on the trip, that this was the culprit. But, when I was able to dump all that garbage and run an empty van and a normally loaded trailer, my towing difficulty did not change one bit. It felt EXACTLY the same. No change whatsoever.

As far as the height of the trailer...hmmm, I don't know. It looks like every other late model Scamp; it may be 1/2" higher due to the 1st change of tires/rims. I easily have 6-8 inches of clearance from the top of the tires to the top of the wheelwells.

I have no idea where my center of gravity is. How do you tell? And, what does all this have to do with anything? I mean, the height off the ground, tire clearance between wheelwells, etc...

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 06-20-2006, 08:41 PM   #21

Arizona
How about them brakes? What kind of controller? Does it have a pendulum? Have you tried disconnecting them and doing the hill test?

Is your axle well secured? Any abnormal wear on the tires? I would replace the auto tires with trailer ones.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:56 PM   #22

Hi Patrick...

The controller is a Prodigy, but I didn't even have it hooked up the first half of my trip. The wheels spin freely when you jack up the trailer with no hint of lag whatsoever. The brakes aren't sticking; it was one of my first thoughts to check. Also, when I push my panic lever on the Prodigy all the way to "max", you can feel the trailer grab a little, but the wheels don't lock up, and its definitely NOT the kind of effect you expect...you expect the trailer to instantly grab the car and tug on it hardly...but it doesn't. Even slamming the trailer brakes on doesn't seem to make much of a difference in the strain of towing this trailer. Mind you, I haven't adjusted the trailer brakes because I don't WANT to add any resistance by tightening up the shoes any. That's not my concern at this point.

As far as the passenger car/trailer tires, I originally had TowMaster trailer tires on it. It wasn't any easier to tow then. I agree the AquaTreds are giving me some rolling resistance (I hope to god they are) since I'm in the process of changing the wheels/tires.

I do have cupping on the edges of the AquaTreds after about 5000 miles. I'm not sure why; could there be a problem with my axle? The wheels spin freely and true, and they have been balanced and the wheel bearings packed. My experience is that cupping is caused by too much air pressure combined with inadequate shocks and a light load causing the tires to bounce along the road. But, with as much weight as I have in this trailer, I seriously doubt I have this scenario. If you sat another trailer on the roof you couldn't get a better contact with the road.

Does any of this info shed any new light????
Old 06-20-2006, 09:06 PM   #23

Trailer: 1300 Trillium
Irregular tire wear is a sign of an overloaded axle. How many pounds is your scamp axle rated for? The tires would turn freely if the weren't under load. I would expect some heat after running tho'.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:09 PM   #24

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
You might check your wheel alignment.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:12 PM   #25

Hi Maggie...

I have no clue what my axle is rated at. How would I find out? I assumed Scamp designed the trailer with an axle that was strong enough for its own weight....

My rims are always cool to the touch...

How do you check alignment on a single axle trailer? Who can do this type of work? I've asked about it before at shops, and always got the "what the hell are you talking about" look in response...

Thanks again,
Jeff
Old 06-20-2006, 09:16 PM   #26

Arizona
Jeff, does this look like your problem?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:25 PM   #27

Hi Patrick...

No, that doesn't look like my problem. I'm not an idiot, and I haven't overloaded my tow vehicles. My tiny trailer is dwarfed by the vehicles that tow them...until I get to a hill or the slightest bit of wind, and then they seem HUGE.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:32 PM   #28

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Hi Maggie...

I have no clue what my axle is rated at. How would I find out? I assumed Scamp designed the trailer with an axle that was strong enough for its own weight....

Thanks again,
Jeff

Call Scamp with the VIN number. They can tell you what axel was installed when the trailer was built. My 2006 standard has a 2200 lb axel. If that's what's on your trailer you're overloading the axel.

Another point. I noticed that talked about towing at 65 and 70mph. Most state laws have a maximum tow speed of 55mph. I tow between 55mph and 60mph. Never never go to 70mph or above.

Tags
scamp