HELP! 13ft Scamp Deluxe VERY difficult to tow - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-30-2009, 01:23 PM   #99
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Poor Donna, LOL.........................
Oh it's not a problem for me. I just feel bad for those individuals offering suggestions and asking questions when we know Jeff will probably never see the posts. But, it possible that someone else will have a need in the future and this topic will provide some answers to him or her.

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:00 PM   #100
Name: lee
Trailer: 1981 Bigfoot,1971 trailswest campster, homebuilt teardrop
jeff I am going to do a post in the near future that will expand on this but will put a little of it here for informational purposes. My wife and I have a 13 foot Uhaul with the weight fully loaded at 1640 lbs ( weighed at Bandon this summer ). We have pulled it with a Ford F-150 4.6 litre V8 engine 3.73 rear end mileage 11 to 13 mpg, a friends Silverado 4.3 litre V6 with a 3.23 rear end mileage 11 to 12, my ( now sold ) Honda Ridgeline 3.5 litre V6 rear end ratio unknown with mileage at 8 to 11 mpg, my wife's Honda CRV 2.5 litre 4 cylinder rear end ratio unknown with mileage at 17 to 19 and finally with a Dodge Ram 4.7 litre V8 engine 3.55 or maybe 3.73 rear end with mileage at 14. Interestingly enough the best mileage was the "underpowered compared to all the others" Honda CRV. Strangely the CRV seemed to be operating at less of a strain than the Silverado, and Ridgeline and I could maintain speed as easily as any of the other tow vehicles. The trip with the CRV was over the same type of terrain as all the other vehicles and totaled 3800 miles through the mountain west at high elevations and over several mountain ranges. So much for underpowered in my experience. Now to your problem. As noted by others your total weight is substantial. Is it a possibility that the weight is "squatting" the Scamp enough to create and "air dam" under the trailer ? This would fit with your description, paraphrased, of "tows o.k. on the flat but slows down noticeably on the hills".

Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #101
Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
Very well said! LOL....................
I second this one, with regards to the last chapter being ripped out!!!!

Gerda, H is offline   Reply With Quote