Help Anderson hitch with 2016 4Runner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #1

Name: Gene
Trailer: Casita SD
New York
Help Anderson hitch with 2016 4Runner

Went to move my Anderson hitch from 2018 Frontier to 2016 Toyota 4 Runner and find that I can't slide the draw bar in far enough to pin with the 2nd (deepest) hole. It hits the spare tire. I can pin the first hole putting the draw bar 3 1/2 inches in. Seems strong but not sure if ok?? The draw bar is solid steel and I doub't its a problem but I like to be safe. Anyone out there with a current gen 4 Runner encounter this situation. I tried to call Anderson but they are closed on weekends. Another option could be to have a hole drilled midway between the two existing holes. Perhaps someone has contacted Anderson about this already?? I'm towing a Casita SD.
UpstateCasitaFolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #2

Name: Ethan
Trailer: 2019 Parkliner
New York
hitch

For now put spare tire someplace out of the way to go camping. you might be able to cut off a little bit of the hitch end? good luck
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:54 AM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
We have an 2007 4Runner and I was looking at a 2018 4Runner and both had a very short receiver tube. I suspect all 4Runners in his time frame fall into his category. We got a shorter stinger with the tow package.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I've both cut off stingers that were too long, and re-drilled the pin hole in others. Don't be afraid to modify the stinger to fix the short tube problem. But do leave it as long as you can.

One way is to slide the stinger in until it touches the spare and then, with a pencil, draw circles on it through the pin hole on each side. Then drill 5/8" holes and you're done. Or, just measure how much deeper it needs to go to line up the existing hole, and cut that much off with a hack saw. A bit of work, but that fixes it.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #5

New York
Cutting some off the end of the bar is a great idea. When using it with my Frontier, it currently sits 6.5 inches into an 8 inch deep tube. I only need to trim 1 inch off the end to miss the spare tire on the 4 Runner using the deepest hole. This will give me enough travel using the deepest of the two holes to fully go all the way through the 4.25 inch deep Toyota receiver, and stick out about 1 inch beyond before even touching the spare. As it is, the first hole is 2 inches from the end, so I'll still have 1 inch of solid steel beyond the hole.

I think I may still contact Anderson to be sure I am not messing with any warranty etc.
Thanks for the help!
Old 05-11-2019, 11:53 AM   #6

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
... and cut that much off with a hack saw. A bit of work, but that fixes it.

2x2 solid steel is doable with a hack saw. If you have an angle grinder it'll be easier. The area where you'll be cutting won't be hurt by heat.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:22 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
2x2 solid steel is doable with a hack saw. If you have an angle grinder it'll be easier. The area where you'll be cutting won't be hurt by heat.
I have a sawzall and a cutting torch if you want to stop by
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #8

New York
Bob,
Thanks for the offer, however I do have sawzalls, and a metal cutoff saw. I may take down to the local welding shop and have them power hacksaw it off, for a clean, neat job. By the way, where in NY do you live, we are about 8 miles South of Greenwich in Washington Co.?
Old 05-11-2019, 03:35 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Gene; we are in northern Columbia county, about 20 minutes south of Albany and near the Mass border. You reminded me, I also have a big old reciprocating power hacksaw, a real old monster of a thing that gets little use.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #10

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
TOYOTA Genuine Accessories PT228-89445 Ball Mount
4.1 out of 5 stars
$53.99

Here is the Toyota part. Not any "drop" from Amazon.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:22 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Missouri
Casita factory installed my Andersen in the first hole of the drawbar of my 2017 4R. Not going to sweat a three inch difference.
Coastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:52 PM   #12

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
MD
Registry
I've both cut off a little and drilled a new hole. Both work fine.
Air Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:34 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I've both cut off stingers that were too long, and re-drilled the pin hole in others. Don't be afraid to modify the stinger to fix the short tube problem. But do leave it as long as you can.
Same here.
Stingers are easy to cut with an angle grinder and a metal cutting disk.

If you need to drill a new hole in it, put it where you want it in the receiver, and use the holes in the receiver tube to guide your 5/8 drill bit. Do each side separately, the holes will line up perfectly. Easy to do with a big drill.

The closer the ball to the rear axle, the better for trailer stability. I've shortened and redrilled holes in all my stingers, as my Highlander seems similar to the 4Runner with the stinger length limited by the spare tire.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:54 AM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:

One way is to slide the stinger in until it touches the spare and then, with a pencil, draw circles on it through the pin hole on each side. Then drill 5/8" holes and you're done. Or, just measure how much deeper it needs to go to line up the existing hole, and cut that much off with a hack saw. A bit of work, but that fixes it.
I own a drill press, thank goodness for it, drilling 5/8" hold is not fun with a portable drill, but yes it can be done. Just make sure you lineup the holes, if your off a 1/8" the pin will probably not lineup, a drill press will drill straight thru and all should lineup.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:12 PM   #15

Name: LYNN
Trailer: Little Guy Mini Max
Texas
Anderson hitch too long

We pull our Little Guy Mini Max with a 2010 Highlander using the Anderson hitch. Had the same problem. Cut off about 3" of the square shank, slid the hitch into the receiver and marked a new hole location, leaving enough clearance so that the rear hatch would barely clear the trailer tongue jack when opened. Then used drill press to drill the new cross pin hole (MUST be accurately aligned). Have had no trouble with hitch after 5,500+ miles. Cheers.
FearlessFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote