Help! Camper sway - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-12-2014, 09:00 PM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
A few months ago another owner reported a similar problem, turned out to only be that one of his trailer's tires pressure was low, the other was very, very low. Check that as well.

I have pulled my similar (to the O.P.'s PlayPac) size and shape Hunter with both a 2003 Sonoma pick-up and a 2003 S-10 Blazer, both have exactly the same front profile, with no noticeable difference in towing due to "differences" in air pressure against the front of the trailer.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
This hasn't happened on my town and country at all. I can drive 70 with no problem.
Trying to find a new hitch. Does anyone know the biggest drop we can buy? We just got a 7" and it is definitely nose up compared to on my town n country
Attachment 76288

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Meghan as others have suggested getting the trailer a bit down on the tongue will help. I had a similar experience when I switch this spring to towing with my current truck - trailer would sway at any speed over 55 mph and there was a slight side wind even though the trailer was level. A problem I didn't have with my previous tow even in strong side winds & trailer stowed the same way but sitting level when connected to the tow vehicle. Reason for it is that the previous tow vehicle weight was just a little less than the truck but its weight was more evenly distributed across the vehicle than the truck which is light in the back end. Suspect its was the same with your Town and Country. It also helped that the last vehicle was full time all wheel drive so it stuck to the road a lot better than the much lighter in the back end truck which is only 4 wheel on demand.

Found I needed to add lots more weight to the tongue of the trailer by dropping it slightly below level and storing more heavy items in the front hatches and putting a bin of camping gear in the trailer ahead of the axle to get a stable tow. I also added a anti sway bar just in case it was to happen again in the future.

Do you have brakes on the trailer? I don't know if you already know this or not but if you do have brakes it is always best to use the manual knob on the brake controller to brake just the trailer and not touch the brakes on the truck to stop sway.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:55 PM   #17

California
In looking at the larger pic it would appear that the defined slope of the front of the trailer would negate all but the most "technical" aspects of wind pressure lift caused by changing from a T&C to a pick-up. Without an actual airflow test it could almost be argued that any additional air pressure could be adding tongue weight.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:31 AM   #18
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream owner
Ontario
Meagan....

also realize the affect of air pressure on the front of the trailer has more leverage when towing a small, short trailer like yours. The closer the trailer axle is to the ball of the TV the more weight reduction you will have on the tongue when in motion, (basic physics). The effect is also more noticeable with a single axle trailer compared with longer, multi axle trailers. This is one reason why multi axle trailers tend to tow better than small single ones.

With your large single cab truck and the short trailer you have the "perfect storm" for having light tongue weight at highway speed.

Also realize the faster you go the lighter it gets.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:27 AM   #19

California
Please see Post #15. That "Perfect Storm"pretty much obviates the reality of this theory.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:05 PM   #20

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
Help! Camper sway

Thank you all!!! Thanks to your guidance we made adjustments as best we could and minimilized the sway. We stopped 3 times to get the lowest hitch each store had. HUGE improvement and if we get a larger drop I think the sway will all but disappear. On the way home we were able to pack everything that wasn't attached into the front of the camper. The floor space was limited and we also filled the bathroom with whatever we could. That also made a small difference. So with those changes I noticed the wind effect much more. Especially near big trucks. So there were a few factors but the hitch drop seemed to be the biggest factor. Thank you all for your quick any through responses!!! You really saved the trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-14-2014, 06:31 PM   #21

California
As most pilots know, tilting a wing up at take-off can give "Ground Effect Lift". The high angle of attack of the underside of your trailer may have been giving you this extra unwanted lift, that decreased as you lowered the tongue. But I think a trip to the scales is a good exercise to get some real numbers for future reference.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:34 PM   #22

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I have seen, but don't know if it is legal, an extra tube was welded to the original tube for the draw bar, thus lowering the mounting point.
Dave & Paula
Old 09-14-2014, 06:36 PM   #23

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Anti Sway Bar... helpful with sidegusts of wind from passing by trucks.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:18 PM   #24

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Anti Sway Bar... helpful with sidegusts of wind from passing by trucks.

Anti-sway bars can be a real problem. They mask a real problem and at some point the real problem will assert itself. When that happens it's best to simply kiss ---- goodbye.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:48 PM   #25

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Have you weighed the trailer and the tongue to make sure you have at least 10% of the weight at the tongue? I keep mine a little heavier closer to 15% but if its pretty windy out and a truck passes you you could get sway...I feel much more comfortable with my heavier nissan frontier then my lighter rav4, but its an added measure of safety for me... others can choose not to use it and you can perfectly balance your trailer and get sway at a most inopportune time...safety, so I have an anti sway bar.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:44 AM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Interesting Thread

I found Carol's comments particularly interesting. She purchases a truck to get more towing capability and finds, even though level and properly loaded, she finds that the trailer sways like never before.

Is this related to the light rear ends of trucks?

Her solution was to increase the tongue weight, which increases loading on the rear of the truck, and to add a sway bar.

I also find it interesting that Meghan had no trouble towing with her Town and Country but her new Ford truck is a handful. (I do understand that a trailer needs to be level or down a bit.)

Can it be that the truck is naturally light in the back when the truck bed is unloaded and with the trailer pointing up, that the trailer pushes up on the rear of the truck further lightening the trucks rear end permitting sway.

There may be something to small SUVs like Carol's Subaru towing light trailers with the Subaru's excellent weight distribution and good suspension systems.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:57 AM   #27
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream owner
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

I also find it interesting that Meghan had no trouble towing with her Town and Country but her new Ford truck is a handful.

There may be something to small SUVs like Carol's Subaru towing light trailers with the Subaru's excellent weight distribution and good suspension systems.
We found the same thing Norm. We towed the same trailer, using the same equipment with a pick up, minivan, and the car. Overall the pickup was the one you could feel the 18 wheelers go by the most. Interesting thing the pickup we used had the highest tow rating. Go figure!
Old 09-15-2014, 07:13 AM   #28

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Pickup Trucks

Wayne,
I think pickup trucks are great tow vehicles for 5th wheels where the rear of the truck and it's rear axle are heavily loaded. This is not the case towing a little fiberglass trailer.

Loading the rear of the trailer certainly may help.

All that said I have never owned a pickup truck but when we lived in the north in the winter it was clearly obvious in any snow storm that the rear end of a pickup is light.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote