Help deciding on a tow vehicle - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2017, 09:39 PM   #41

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I boondock a lot in the back country, gravel roads with long steep grades. My half ton GMC, 4 speed auto with tranny cooler will do it but works hard and really sucks the fuel! I've seen so much tranny fluid and antifreeze spilled on these roads it makes me shutter!
My F250 diesel automatic (how I wish it was a 5 speed stick) does it with ease. No laboring, no overheating, RPMs around 2000. Same 18 - 20 mpg as I get on the highway which is less than the half ton uses.
I though I was saving fuel but I wasn't because my little half ton was working so hard. And the diesel is a bigger, stronger more robust vehicle. Bigger (10 ply) tires, heavier brakes, stronger tranny, bigger rad, stiffer suspension etc.
If you can afford it, go big on your tow vehicle. I don't drive my diesel in the city where I'm sure the fuel mileage would be terrible but for towing and any use in the back country it's great!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:44 PM   #42

Name: Josh & Sonya
Trailer: '97 Casita SD 17; 03 Bigfoot 25RQ
Arizona
Thanks Mike, I'm beginning to agree.

And Charlie; why didn't I think of that? Actually, I probably would have gone for a more powerful Toyota at the time, or even maybe a diesel Toyota, but that wasn't a choice then; still isn't.

Nowadays, I don't think I could convince my wife (or myself to go diesel). More power and torque from a US made truck, maybe, but it would have to get better mileage. I'm still thinking about a hybrid, if they get good enough before we get too old.

Josh
Josh and Sonya W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:55 PM   #43

Arizona
Diesel vs gas tow vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
I boondock a lot in the back country, gravel roads with long steep grades. My half ton GMC, 4 speed auto with tranny cooler will do it but works hard and really sucks the fuel! I've seen so much tranny fluid and antifreeze spilled on these roads it makes me shutter!
My F250 diesel automatic (how I wish it was a 5 speed stick) does it with ease. No laboring, no overheating, RPMs around 2000. Same 18 - 20 mpg as I get on the highway which is less than the half ton uses.
I though I was saving fuel but I wasn't because my little half ton was working so hard. And the diesel is a bigger, stronger more robust vehicle. Bigger (10 ply) tires, heavier brakes, stronger tranny, bigger rad, stiffer suspension etc.
If you can afford it, go big on your tow vehicle. I don't drive my diesel in the city where I'm sure the fuel mileage would be terrible but for towing and any use in the back country it's great!
Hi Mike-L,

Oh man; I just had myself convinced I should forget about a diesel, and I put it in writing...If I was going to go for a diesel, the F250 is exactly what I would probably consider.

Reality is, the Tundra has just over 7K miles on it now; I delayed retirement for more than a year, so it was barely used. Hard to justify thinking about trading it in. And after this thread, I really need to give the Tundra another good try running at higher RPM when needed.

I better stop dreaming about trucks and get back to two major decisions before a next trip: switching to a mix of roof mounted and portable solar power, and new 6V batteries (maybe lithium), and getting the floor to stop squeaking. The squeaking drives my wife nuts, and if she's not happy, I'm not happy.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:58 PM   #44

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Tow unit

The Toyota is a good unit .the thing to rember the newer trucks come with rev limeters so the computers wont let you over drive the engine .Dodge hemie is 410 at 5600 rpm .70% of red line sounds bad but hurts nothing .I went to a dodge 3500 6.7 810 at 2300 rpm .So no more can i cant i no more kitten carying the cat and torque is king .struggling on the big hills.i leave that for the guy i just past .mpg is way better than the gas jobs .my jeep 3 leter diesel pulls the 17' Bigfoot through Jasper Banff to Vancover on problems.average 18 l per 100 km. My Dokota 4.7 was under power torque wise for the same trip.the jeep is 410 at2300 rpm Happy Trails
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:59 PM   #45

Arizona
Thank you Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I have to admire you for the honesty you displayed in your post.
Most Toyota owners are not willing to ever admit that the vehicle they bought and own is not the best on the road or that it has issues !
Ford , Chevy ,& Ram all build fine trucks but none of them are perfect either or fit everyone's needs.

Again a very enlightening and truthful post. THANK YOU

Josh
Old 09-22-2017, 10:06 PM   #46

Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP 56 View Post
The Toyota is a good unit .the thing to rember the newer trucks come with rev limeters so the computers wont let you over drive the engine .Dodge hemie is 410 at 5600 rpm .70% of red line sounds bad but hurts nothing .I went to a dodge 3500 6.7 810 at 2300 rpm .So no more can i cant i no more kitten carying the cat and torque is king .struggling on the big hills.i leave that for the guy i just past .mpg is way better than the gas jobs .my jeep 3 leter diesel pulls the 17' Bigfoot through Jasper Banff to Vancover on problems.average 18 l per 100 km. My Dokota 4.7 was under power torque wise for the same trip.the jeep is 410 at2300 rpm Happy Trails
I didn't even know that Jeep had a diesel engine version; is that only available outside of the US?

If I had been able to buy a diesel with manual transmission when I purchased my Land Cruiser 19 years ago, I could have died and gone to heaven. No such thing allowed into the US, then or now.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:17 PM   #47

Alberta
I hear you Josh. I towed for years with what I had because I couldn't afford a vehicle to just tow my trailer. That meant I couldn't have the trailer I really wanted either. Now I'm a little more fortunate so why not.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:25 PM   #48

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I think the trend is away from diesel, based on my limited interest in the topic and what I've read and heard. Apparently VW is dropping diesel after getting kicked in the butt for cheating on emissions and having to buy back diesel vehicles. London, England is banning diesel vehicles from the downtown core. Electric vehicles are where manufacturers are putting their R&D.
Personally, I expect to get many more years out of my 2008 RAV4. It's only got 92,000 kilometers on it. I just get it serviced according to the book and err on side of caution when it comes to replacing transmission fluid.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:28 PM   #49

Alberta
Tow unit

The jeep 3leterwas only in canada.The new dodge eceo Diesel 3 leter is same engine just made by Fiat in sted of Benz same proforamce good on fule .The jeep no trailer is about 9 L at 100 at 120 km per hr Quiet to .
Old 09-22-2017, 10:51 PM   #50

Arizona
Towing capacity of Nissan Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooitslo View Post
Hello to all from Dallas. Like some of you I also have been doing some research although I already purchased my tow vehicle: 2018 Nissan Pathfinder with full tow package. I decided on a Shadow Cruiser 225RBS and all the specs suggest that I am within the limits for towing, any thoughts?
I know just how you feel in making these decisions. I think the advice I've seen in this forum more than once is that you either decide on the trailer you want first, and then get a tow vehicle that can do the job, or you have the tow vehicle and select a trailer it can safely and comfortably handle.

I just took a look at the dry weight of the Shadow Cruiser 225RSB and it's 4,740 LB. The tow rating of the 2018 Nissan Pathfinder is 6,000 LB. Even if you are very conservative and only load the trailer with 600 LB of "stuff", you'd be at 5,340 LB. I'd be pretty worried about towing that kind of weight with the Pathfinder, not even counting how much weight in people and other stuff you put in the SUV.

Take my comments with a grain of salt, I haven't done any actual calculations. You might want to check with the trailer manufacturer to see what vehicles they recommend for towing that trailer, without telling them what you already have. The FGRV manufacturers are usually reasonably honest about what vehicles they think are a good match with for their trailers. I don't know anything about the makers of the Shadow Cruiser.

Good luck,
Josh
Old 09-22-2017, 10:56 PM   #51

Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I think the trend is away from diesel, based on my limited interest in the topic and what I've read and heard. Apparently VW is dropping diesel after getting kicked in the butt for cheating on emissions and having to buy back diesel vehicles. London, England is banning diesel vehicles from the downtown core. Electric vehicles are where manufacturers are putting their R&D.
Personally, I expect to get many more years out of my 2008 RAV4. It's only got 92,000 kilometers on it. I just get it serviced according to the book and err on side of caution when it comes to replacing transmission fluid.
I agree with all you wrote. Except I'm not sure that diesel engines for pickups will phase out until they can be replaced with hybrid or fully electric options, or they are just plain regulated out of existence, and you are correct that that is already beginning to happen in Europe.

I don't think we're going to see any regulatory progress with the current administration. It's good to see that CA is going to push the process on its own.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:58 PM   #52

Alberta
Tow unit

The toyota raves and such are good for 350 to 400000 k when you keep up the manetinace .I read on the diesal trucks when i was shopping for a truck . engine rebuild numbers wer gm/gmc wer 250 to 300000 /ford about 450to 500000.dodge about 600000 I see that Nissan has a 3L cummings too much for me it was $86000.00.with the dodge hd
larame has a tow rating of 26000 lbs i have a camper i made in the box and pull the bigfoot for the Grand Kids
Old 09-22-2017, 11:25 PM   #53

Alberta
When I bought my diesel truck, fuel was much cheaper than gasoline. Not so much anymore but these trucks are still fairly big and strong and even thought diesel fuel has increased in price they are still cheaper to operate in high demand situations.
I don't see electric vehicles being used as heavy trucks any time soon.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:30 PM   #54

Alberta
For a lot of years our family vehicle (station wagon, van) HAD to be our tow vehicle so our trailer was selected accordingly. Now that I have a heavy truck I have more options. It took a while!
Old 09-22-2017, 11:32 PM   #55

Alberta
Sounds good Mike. If your numbers are correct I'll be long dead of old age before I need a rebuild!
Old 09-22-2017, 11:50 PM   #56

Alberta
I bought my truck from a good buddy who special ordered it form Ford to tow his 36 foot, 9000lb fifth wheel through the mountains from Alberta to BC.
Besides the diesel engine he had them add extra leafs in the back and heavier springs in the front. Also, high and low range, a heavier rad, a transmission cooler, a heavier alternator, Dana posi rear end etc. It came hitched for a fifth wheel and a class five bumper pull. It has every available option except leather seats. It was his baby and he meticulously maintained it.
A truck like that was WAY out of my price range!
Then he gave up his trailer for a cottage at the lake and sold me his truck.
I love it as much as he did and I love driving it, with or without my trailer!
Old 09-22-2017, 11:59 PM   #57

Name: Ben
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17' 2012
Washington
I don't believe these modern engines will be damaged by running higher RPMs than people "normally" run. In fact, if your engine has a mechanical fan (uses a fan belt, instead of electrical fan), your engine will run cooler in many circumstances with higher RPMs, the fan turns faster and in turn moves more air, and the water pump is moving more coolant. I can see this very easily with my "Torque" android app and bluetooth OBDII dongle. This also usually affects your trans temp as well, since many times they share part of the radiator, or are inline with the radiator air flow.
Firetruck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:08 AM   #58

Name: Ray
Trailer: Oliver Elite II (Pick up in April 2018)
South Carolina
Thanks for your input and time

Thanks Guys,
I initially was going with the Tacoma V6 towing package 4WD but the hassle with the composite bed really bothered me. I have a Tacoma 2017 I4 2WD and love the truck I bought it to tow the Scamp but folks were correct to point out that it just simply wasn't enough truck. I've been promising my wife a new vehicle so she inherited that one. Her idea, she likes it too. Now I've been reading a guys blog about his travels and modifications to his Scamp 5th wheel. In one portion of his blog he goes over weighing his rig and brings home the fact that most of us are running heavier than we think. Just Finding Our Way: Scamp 19 . Taking this into account and also reading that most of us change the types of rigs we use over the years, I wanted to only buy one TV. The only thing I'm certain of is that I will only purchase one type of camper, the molded fiberglass style. This comes from owning several of the stick built types and knowing how frail they truly are. This is how I came to ask this question. I realize that a 3/4 ton truck is overkill but I plan to pack for boondocking. Extra water tank, generator, solar panels, battery bank (6V deep cell X 4), extra propane and so on. Taking all this into consideration wouldn't it be better to go with a larger truck?
MrBig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:23 AM   #59

Alberta
Tow unit

I have the 1400 lbs camper in the box and pull the big foot and it averages abouy 18 to 23 L per 100 k .if i do an egr removal it should drop to 15/16 L per at least on paper lol. the Leamery 's come with all the extra stuf biger brakes rad exetra on Ford and dodge .My frend has an f 350 super duty HD man can that think pull.a heavy consetion trailer and his burn rate was about 23 to 26 L per 100k at 115 k per hr no problems good on the hills .
Old 09-23-2017, 06:32 AM   #60

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh and Sonya W View Post
Thanks Mike, I'm beginning to agree.

And Charlie; why didn't I think of that? Actually, I probably would have gone for a more powerful Toyota at the time, or even maybe a diesel Toyota, but that wasn't a choice then; still isn't.

Nowadays, I don't think I could convince my wife (or myself to go diesel). More power and torque from a US made truck, maybe, but it would have to get better mileage. I'm still thinking about a hybrid, if they get good enough before we get too old.

Josh
Tundra' are made in America too!

Indiana like mine and now in San Antonio Tx.

Don't mess with Texas!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote