Help deciding on a tow vehicle - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2017, 06:28 AM   #141

Name: Ray
Trailer: Oliver Elite II (Pick up in April 2018)
South Carolina
Thank You Everyone

Well, I believe I'm about as armed with information as I can be. I want to thank all of you for such a meaningful participation in this thread. The knowledge I've gained here and in PM's is going to make a difference in my decision making process. This thread has turned out to be much more than I had hoped for. Now, I'll let all this soak in and make a purchase based on what is right for me. This is a great group y'all got here, I'm glad I found this forum.
MrBig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:32 AM   #142
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig1 View Post
Cliff,

BTW, I didn't see where it includes a full tank of gas. Nice looking rig.
Ray
As I recall payload assumes all fluids full and a 150 lb driver (). It's should be in the owners manual.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:27 PM   #143

South Carolina
The final solution

Guys,
First, I'd like to say thanks for the help. The collective answers have helped me make a decision about what I think my best tow vehicle will be for my future Scamp 19 Deluxe.
It looks like I will be purchasing a 1/2 ton P/U, 4 WD, tow package. Manufacturer has yet to be chosen but whatever I choose the truck will be equipped with the extra payload option. This is the best choice I see that comes close to my desired payload capacity. Any larger truck would require significant modification to be compatible with the Scamp. So I'm opting for a practical compromise.
Thanks again,
Ray
Old 10-02-2017, 12:05 AM   #144

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Now you're cooking Ray.....and you owe us all a beer cuz we just saved you $10K .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:35 AM   #145

South Carolina
Sure Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Now you're cooking Ray.....and you owe us all a beer cuz we just saved you $10K .
Dave, Its a deal. I'd like to throw a thanks out to Brian for the timely and informative PM's. Those and all this help from members really goes a long way to help a guy make a good decision. Y'all need to forgive my initial excess. I'm a former steel mill electrician. I tend to build everything "steel mill" tough. This type of reasoning was essential in that environment but not in this setting.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:16 AM   #146

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
towing

I pulled a 32f 5th wheel with a dodge 3/4 pu with a 318 one time I got there but it was slow even when I was younger I didn't care I was on vacation. I actually pulled along with the trailer a 20f I/o heavy boat that was when I was really stupid and dumb!

my neighbor just dropped 60k for the latest and greatest chevy truck he could find. His reseasing it just didn't have to shift as much seriously guys that is what your transmission is for.

Watch what the truckers do they are constantly shifting up and down with their manuals big loads yes powerful engines but not that powerful they have to have efficiency on their fuel too but they have to play the shifting game. same for us!

If you could get to 20mph on some of those mountain roads I say good for you. You have to learn to be patient in camping! By using some thinking about anything will work towing are you going to get there fast? No. But you will make it!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote