Help need advice on torsion suspension - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #1

Name: Stacey
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Alberta
Help need advice on torsion suspension

Hi all
I have a 1978 model 1300 Trillium. Torsion suspension is now gone in it and I would like to replace it with new ones however I've been told different things I can go with it with 2,200 lb or I can go 3500 lb. My trailer only weighs 1500 lb dry. Or should I go with Springs? Please advise and thanks
Microdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:18 PM   #2

Name: James Y.
Trailer: Companion
Ohio
On my "Companion", leaf springs work great but when selecting you must pay attention to length, capacity, and the amount of leaves to get a good ride. It's not a bad job to install the hanger brackets at the right spot.
Jim G. - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:18 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Axle capacity should be matched to the expected GVW, with some margin to allow for variations in loading and unequal left-right balance.

A #9 torsion axle rated for 2200# with 7" brakes works well for most 13' applications. That's already a significant upgrade from OEM on many vintage units. For more reserve capacity you could go with a #10 (3500#) axle de-rated to 2500#, which also permits larger 10" brakes. Higher than 2500# and you'll have the trailer hopping around like a rabbit behind you. Unless you run your Trillium heavy due to gear or modifications, I see little advantage in the larger axle.

With a torsion axle you can increase ride height and axle tube clearance by specifying a different start angle on the axle arms. That's something I will definitely do when it comes time to replace mine.

I prefer the quieter, smoother, independent action of a torsion axle, but you could probably install a leaf spring axle if you prefer. The same principle applies regarding the rating of the axle. To increase ride height on a leaf spring axle you have to add blocks and/or switch to a spring-over configuration. Unlike a torsion axle, doing so does not increase clearance under the axle tube.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:23 PM   #4

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Axle capacity should be matched to the expected GVW, with some margin to allow for variations in loading and unequal left-right balance.

A #9 torsion axle rated for 2200# works well for most 13' applications. That's already a significant upgrade from OEM on many vintage units. For more reserve capacity you could go with a #10 (3500#) axle de-rated to 2500#, which also permits larger brakes. I wouldn't go any higher than 2500# unless you want the trailer hopping around like a rabbit behind you.

With a torsion axle you can increase ride height and clearance by specifying a different start angle on the axle arms.

I prefer the quieter, independent action of a torsion axle, but you might be able to install a leaf spring axle if you preferred. The same principle applies regarding the rating of the axle. Some 13' designs may have issues with mounting points for a leaf spring axle due to the door cutout in the frame rails.
...as Jon said, you can have a torsion axle derated...I built 2 TearDrops and bought 2200# axles and had them derated to 1500#s...I believe I would go with the 3500# axle derated to 2500#s to give you a little extra...of course, I also feel the 3500#axle under my Casita is under sprung and should be a 4500#axle...IMO..........................
madjack
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:29 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Azur
Trailer: 1980 Burro, 1973 Trillium 1300, 1977 Surfside 14',1975 Boler 13'
Washington
Registry
Flexiride axles

I have done several of the flexiride axles from southern wheel in Texas. They are great to work with and these axles allow you to change the ride height on your trailer fairly easily. They are very well built!
Azur
Azurko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:09 PM   #6

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurko View Post
I have done several of the flexiride axles from southern wheel in Texas. They are great to work with and these axles allow you to change the ride height on your trailer fairly easily. They are very well built!
Azur
I LOVE FlexiRides!!!! I used them on both of my teardrops and feel they are a better built axle than Dexters...they are also a couple of hundred+ more than the Dexters...ya getz wattcha pay for...............
madjack
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:56 PM   #7

Name: Elvin
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Flexiride is the way to go. The best fit would be their T2 axle (2200lbs) with 7" brakes. I just ordered one for my 13' Boler from Pacific Spring and Axle in Vancouver. They are custom made for your RV. Standen's is the Flexiride dealer in Alberta. You won't regret getting the Flexiride.
omache27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:25 PM   #8

Name: Stacey
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Alberta
All very good info thanks guys. I will have some measuring to do. I'm learning lots.
Microdad is offline   Reply With Quote