Help with hitch lock - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #21

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Thank you for that, Clayton. Some fool once said, "ignorance is bliss." That has not been my experience as I've jumped head first into this whole new world of trailers and tow vehicles and what keeps them joined at the hip!!!

Sharon
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #22

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by 841K9 View Post
The coupler is just a spring catch - any good bump could open up even a brand new one.
A well-designed coupler latch is an over-centre linkage. "New" and "junk" are not mutually exclusive... but to be sure, I did agree that a pin could be valuable.

Quote:
Why do you think off road trailers use pins or pintles?
For greater articulation without binding a coupler socket against a ball stud.
You asked...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #23

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
A well-designed coupler latch is an over-centre linkage. "New" and "junk" are not mutually exclusive... but to be sure, I did agree that a pin could be valuable.

For greater articulation without binding a coupler socket against a ball stud.
You asked...
Pins have almost no articulation. Especially when connected to a drawbar.
Pintles in the most common solid mount have almost the same amount as a standard ball hitch.

Now, the rotating pintle on my m1008 is a completely different beast.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #24

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I was going to suggest Wal mart.
They have matching sets of locks for your drawbar and the coupler on your trailer.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #25

Name: Anita
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Colorado
I bought one from O'Reily's I don't recall what I paid for it but I like it better than the pin by far!
Old 03-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #26

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Sharon, you needn't be overly concerned with security on your trip home. Why? You won't need the coupler lock with the ball on the way home because the coupler will be on the ball of the receiver draw bar (stinger). It is best to have a cross pin thru the coupler latch mech handle but it does not need to be a lock. As you already have a lock for that purpose, use it if it fits; put a piece of heavy wire thru it if it doesn't. Likewise at the receiver/drawbar connection, simple non-locking hitch pins are perfectly acceptable as a safe mechanical connector. The various locking pins and coupler "fillers" are intended to prevent theft and tampering; towing is safe enuf without them, certainly at least for the first trip.

The correct trailer connector or adapter to match the electrical connector on your tow vehicle is vastly more important to your legality, safety, and peace of mind on your first tow. Likewise a well-adjusted brake controller (if the trailer has brakes), correctly-inflated tires, and extension mirrors are very important and deserve more time and deliberation than the prevention of theft. You can worry about that after you get it home.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #27

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Pins have almost no articulation. Especially when connected to a drawbar.
Sorry for the confusion - I thought "pin" referred to a euro-style pin-and-jaw coupling, but it appears to mean a clevis and pin. I agree that the clevis setup would have minimal roll or pitch articulation, and I didn't expect anyone to use that other than on a farm or on a cheap lawn tractor (like mine, where my plan is to upgrade to a common ball and coupler some day).

Quote:
Pintles in the most common solid mount have almost the same amount as a standard ball hitch.

Now, the rotating pintle on my m1008 is a completely different beast.
I should have said pitch articulation (not roll); pitch movement is about 90 degrees up or down for a pintle hook and ring - that's why I have heard of some people using them off-road, including Darrel who described his setup in 1973 Compact II by Hunter. Of course if you want serious off-road articulation, you can use something like a Treg.

Pin-and-jaw and pin-and-clevis are dead simple, but still need some safety device on the pin. Pintle hook-and-ring doesn't appear to me to have any obvious stay-coupled advantage, except that it might be a long way to bounce the ring up over the end of the hook, versus the distance to bounce a socket coupler up off of a ball. Of course, because they are normally used in heavy-duty applications, using any of them on a light-duty trailer would be durable, due to the construction rather than anything inherent in the pintle hitch design. Depending on either to work without a proper latching mechanism would be risky, but they usually come with something suitable.

And now back to pinning/locking that conventional ball coupler...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:07 AM   #28

Name: Richard
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2011
California
Regarding the Master 187XD Titanium, or probably most any of the other coupler or hitch locks, cutting might be difficult but picking is a whole other thing. Take a look at this .
OUCH!
Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp