Help with towing capabilities - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #1

Name: A.M.
Trailer: in the market
Washington
Help with towing capabilities

Hey all, new to this site but need some help. I have a 2002 Ford Ranger 4x4 4 liter V6. I'm looking to purchase a 17' Boler but I'm not sure my truck will pull it. I'm sure it has the power, I'm not sure because of all the confusing GVWR, GVW etc stuff. I've read the threads on here about this and am still confused. I get even more confused when I saw that someone on here is pulling a 17' Boler with a Corolla....excuse me a Toyota Corolla? Or is there a new Dodge Ram pickup called the Corolla? If a Corolla can pull this weight my Ranger should do it easily right? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #2

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Welcome A.M.

Have you looked at your vehicles specs online with the appropriate year and model and engine size to see what the max towing capacity is? I have a Rav4 v6 with a 3500lb tow capacity, the current Rangers have a little bit larger engine then my 3.6l so I know their towing capacity is greater then mine.

towing capacity - The Ranger Station Forums

Also, dont worry what other people use to tow with...their are a number of folks seriously pushing or exceeding their tow capacity. I dont recomend it...Im sure if an accident happened and you were at fault, and you were above your capacities that you would be penalized more heavily.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #3

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Lightbulb Let me try to simplify it for you

To most experienced trailer towers, one needs to start by looking for two numbers:
  1. The towing capacity limit usually found in the specific Tow Vehicle candidate’s Owner’s Manual. (your 2002 Ford Ranger 4x4, 4 liter V6)
  2. A Certified Weight ticket for the fully loaded specific Trailer candidate. (a 17' Boler in your case)

Since you don't have a trailer yet a good place to start research is:
Trailer Weights in the Real World

There are two 17' Bolers listed in that reference. One weighed 2,585 pounds and the other weighed 2,970 pounds. When you don't know the specifics, always prepare for the worst case scenario, so we'll focus on the heavier weight. If you're new to all of this, it is wise to leave yourself some wiggle room in your weight calculations. Some people recommend a 20% margin for safety. Since the heavier of the two Bolers is pushing 3,000 pounds, I would recommend that your target is 3,500 pounds minimum and 5,000 pounds would be better.

IF your 2002 Ford Ranger 4X4 has a specific statement in its owner's manual listing AT LEAST 3,500 pounds towing capacity, or something greater than 3,500 pounds, then you may feel confident to proceed.

If the manual states your towing capacity to be 3,000 pounds, you must ask yourself how much risk you feel accepting responsibility for. How concerned are you that towing at (and possibly over) capacity will put you (and anyone on the road near you) upside down scattered across the roadway with the Ambulance Chasing Lawyers straining at their leashes?

If your truck's manual states your towing capacity is 2,500 pounds or less, then forgetaboutit. If you must keep your Ranger, then search for a smaller trailer. If your heart is set on a 17' Boler, then trade in the Ranger for a truck with towing capacity meeting the specs I mentioned.
Quote:
...excuse me a Toyota Corolla?
This communicates to me that you understand the risk involved, and will choose wisely.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #4

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
I agree with Frederick,
Check your owners manual. It is there including data for reg or extended cab plus what rear end. It will tell you how to read your VIN to get the information you will need in the tables. Mine even states the total frontal area allowed for the trailer.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #5

Washington
Thanks guys. I had looked at my owners manual before and was reading the table wrong. Your replies coaxed me to look more closely and woohoo I can pull that Boler and probably that Corolla right behind it!!! Just kidding but thanks a lot guys. Frederick you are the man.

Thanks again guys
Old 09-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #6

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 16ft, Layout 4
Minnesota
I see you've already confirmed with your owners manual that the Ranger can tow the trailer, but I wanted to pass on my Ranger experience with a similar camper.

I've had a 2001 3L V6 and now have a 2004 4L V6.
Easiest to tow overdrive off until about 60mph or coasting, then overdrive on. For hilly, shifty areas the transmission will really feel it. I have the factory transmission cooler but really need a larger, more effective one.
I towed a few times without a brake controller and did fine, but gained a ton of control by adding a brake controller. I'd be happy to pass along specific install info.
If you feel like going overboard: With older trucks, sometimes the rear shocks are shot. Load adjusting shocks with additional springs are nice to swap in and allow a higher tongue weight (and easier camper to tow). Again, happy to pass along install info.

Enjoy the ranger and the egg!
Old 09-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #7

Washington
Thanks Drew, I'll hit you up if I end up getting the trailer.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #8

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy View Post
... I'm not sure because of all the confusing GVWR, GVW etc stuff. I've read the threads on here about this and am still confused. I get even more confused when I saw that someone on here is pulling a 17' Boler with a Corolla....excuse me a Toyota Corolla?
If you completely understand the weights and ratings (GVW, GVWR, etc) that Corolla still won't make sense; it is being operated far beyond its rated capability. To start, I suggest ignoring what other people do while you work through the weights and ratings. Later you can compare to the experience of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy View Post
... If a Corolla can pull this weight my Ranger should do it easily right?.
Anything can tow anything. I think the first step is to see if your tug should pull the proposed trailer.

(Preview hint: yes, the Ranger will likely be fine with the 17' Boler if you watch all of the weights involved).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #9

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Since you don't have a trailer yet a good place to start research is:
Trailer Weights in the Real World

There are two 17' Bolers listed in that reference. One weighed 2,585 pounds and the other weighed 2,970 pounds. When you don't know the specifics, always prepare for the worst case scenario, so we'll focus on the heavier weight.
Those "real world" weights are of trailers complete with all of the stuff in them. Those are what you want because that's what the truck has to haul around, but they are quite variable because people carry different amounts of stuff

The worst case scenario is reasonable for planning, but no one should eliminate a trailer model from consideration because someone else uses theirs to haul around a rock collection!

My 17' Boler runs about the same weight when loaded for travel as the heavier example from Frederick's list.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #10

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewSK View Post
... I wanted to pass on my Ranger experience with a similar camper.
The Scamp 16' is almost the same length as a 17' Boler, but the Boler is significantly wider (more air drag), somewhat taller, and about 400 pounds heavier than a similarly equipped Scamp 16.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #11

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewSK View Post
I towed a few times without a brake controller and did fine, but gained a ton of control by adding a brake controller.
Any 17' Boler is far beyond the weight which can be safely towed with a Ranger without working trailer brakes, as explained by Ford in the manual. Without the trailer contributing to braking, there is neither sufficient tire traction nor sufficient braking system capacity for an acceptable level of braking performance for an emergency situation, as well as the lack of control which Drew mentioned. Fortunately, all Bolers and similar trailers of this size came with electric brakes, and the required brake controller installation in the truck is not unreasonably difficult or expensive.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #12

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 16ft, Layout 4
Minnesota
Thanks for the details on the differences between the Boler 17 and Scamp 16 Brian, I didn't know about the dimensions of the Boler also being wider.

I love your signature, "apply common sense liberally".

Props to A.M. for asking for more details and reading the owners manual.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #13

Name: Jan
Trailer: Currently
Kansas
The towing capacity is also inside one of the doors on most vehicles.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #14

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalero View Post
The towing capacity is also inside one of the doors on most vehicles.
I've never seen this information on the placard. That placard - which is typically located on the driver's door jamb or door edge - normally identifies the vehicle and lists
  • Manufacturer, manufactured date, location (at least country) of manufacture
  • Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) - front and rear
  • Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)
It may also list payload (passenger and cargo carrying capacity)

I've never seen one that lists even Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR), let alone trailer weight rating.

Here are the placards from my tow vehicle, first the federally mandated one, then another which is primarily about the tires (although tires are also specified in the federal label)... nothing about towing capacity here:
Attached Thumbnails
placardA.jpg   tirePlacard.jpg