Here is our weight - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 1999 21 ft Bigfoot (2500 series)
Ok so we bought a 1999 Bigfoot 21' feet. My wife really liked the trailer but has no concept of tow vehicles and what they might need. So I took it over to the scales today to just see if we were going to be ok with the Tacoma. Now my Tacoma has the off road package and max's out at 6500. However I would not want to be close to that weight.

So we went to the scales today to make sure we would be ok and I added some water to the tanks. So with 2/3 of water in the tanks it came to 4600 total. Without the truck on it it was 4300. I am adding a transmission cooler to be safe but feel like we might be ok otherwise. We do have the easy lift hitch and a sway bar as well.

Does anyone else have some input on this?

thanks

Alexandra
Alexandra B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
For a Tacoma to have a 6500# tow rating it should have a towing package and "all the ducks in a row". Your trailer is more than 8 feet wide and you will need extension mirrors, as well as a good brake controller. The problem with pushing the tow rating is that it leaves you with little cargo carrying capacity, because you shouldn't exceed the combined weight rating for your Tacoma. That rating includes truck plus trailer plus passengers and all cargo, both in the truck and trailer. If you can't get that figure (Gross Combined Weight Rating) from the owners manual, you might have to ask your Toyota dealer for it. If you can possibly swing it, you should get a full size truck like a Tundra, Ford, Chevy or Dodge for your Bigfoot, IMHO.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We had a 2004 21 ft. Bigfoot and we always towed it with a full size Ford 3/4 ton, We also have a 2005 Toyota Tundra V8, we didn't feel it could handle towing the 21 ft. adequately. We use the Toyota Tundra to tow a 1988 Big foot 5th wheel (dry weight about 3,540) or our 17 Ft. Bigfoot. It is surprising how much weight people and supplies add up to.
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weighing, weight