Hi. I'm new here.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2014, 07:31 AM   #1

Name: Pete
Trailer: Casita
Minnesota
Hi. I'm new here....

Hi all-

I'm a new member here; I found this forum because I was searching for
answers/ideas to some odd tire wear I discovered on our lovely, re-done '81 Casita we purchased very recently. Thought it might be interesting to hang out & see what goes on here.

Anyway, as I was preparing to leave on a 5000 mile road trip I noticed the new (it maybe has 3000 miles on it) outside edge of the right tire was worn almost to the wear bars (the inside was fine, as was the left tire). This did not look good to me and I immediately thought "alignment issue", but I know nothing about torsion axles.

So what are your thoughts? Can someone direct me to some good resources for info on these?

thanks,
pete
pafetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Hey there Pete. Guessing you have ST trailer tires on your trailer. ST tires are notorious for doing odd things. Uneven wear for no apparent reason is one of them. I have used a laser level to check for tow in/out problems on my own vehicles. It is not a perfect science but lets you know if it is ball park. A reputable trailer outlet could probably tell you if the alignment is out.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:16 AM   #3

Minnesota
Thanks. I'll check that out.

pete
Old 07-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #4

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
It's possible for an axle to become bent, which could cause this kind of tire wear. If it is, a new axle may be needed. I had this happen when I hit a large rock hard enough to blow a tire and ruin the rim; the axle started eating tires and there was no adjustment.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:42 AM   #5

Minnesota
I can't remember hitting anything, but that's not saying the previous owner didn't. How can I determine what's needed for replacement?

pete
Old 07-18-2014, 07:51 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Hi Pete, and welcome.

If it was me, I would take it to a shop that handles axles and suspension, and have them check it out, and give their recommendation. I have had axles on my construction trailers adjusted, basically bent, so that the alignment was proper. This improved tire wear hordes. Not sure that can be torsion axles though, and replacement, especially in an older trailer, might need to be done.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote