hitch? - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Ontario
hitch?

Hi everybody...I'm going to explain what I've been going through, and could really need some help on this. It's a longer one but....
I have a 2007 V6 Ford 500 SEL..front well drive. I have a 1976 Trillium 13' foot unit. My car has brand new tires, a brand new tranny cooling kit on it, and it pulls straight and true. The problem is the bounce...if I go over a big bump or railway tracks, she bounces more than it should. I was at my favorite mechanic today, he says the shocks are fine Donny, no need to change them. I wanted a heavy duty shock, can't get one except the States..to costly. I've been to Canadian Tire, advice? Air Shocks won't cut it. I've been to Princess Auto, don't have a "Pole Tongue Adapter for a Class 2 hitch. Called "Hitch City" looking for a "Adjustable Weight Distribution Hitch"
Can't get one for a Class 2 hitch. I have called Monro, Rancho, and Canadian Tire...no heavy duty shocks for my car. The gross weight is 3,500...tongue weight 300lbs...Class 2 hitch, 1 1/4" X 1 1/4" shaft for the ball, @ 1 7/8....talked to "Auto Partsway.ca" no idea what to do? Reese says I need an air bag system? So, for a simple thing, I'm still trying to figure out what I need to do if anything?
I'm sure there are members here that have dealt with the same things? Suggestions? Please...
Donny

Old 04-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #2

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
First off, what about the trailer? original axle, new axle, etc.? If it's the original axle, I would almost be more suspect your trailer has little suspension left and is beating up your car.

otherwise...the shock thing isn't necessarily true, their computer just doesn't show anything, because people don't ask for heavier shocks. You have to find a parts person capable of deciphering a book (good luck), and find the extended/compressed length, mount types, then find a heavier shock that matches that fairly closely.

How much does the car sag with the trailer hooked up?

Old 04-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #3

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny55 View Post
... looking for a "Adjustable Weight Distribution Hitch"
Can't get one for a Class 2 hitch.
True - as far as I know, there are no weight distribution systems in the 1 1/4" square receiver size, and no Class 2 hitch receivers rated for weight distributing use.

I doubt WD is the answer anyway... bouncing means insufficient damping (and it's the shocks that do the damping).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #4

Ontario
shocks......

Thank you, I'm going to have some heavy duty Munro shocks installed on Tuesday...I've tried everything I can to get info about this. It would seem, my first thought was correct, just get better shocks.
Things for the comments, it makes me feel better about my idea.
donny55
Old 04-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #5

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Isn't the maximum tow raing for your Ford 1000 lbs? Maybe you car is trying to tell you somthing.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #6

Ontario
dealership

Thanks for the input....no my car is fine. Dealership says with the type of hitch Ford installed, (3500 lbs, 300 tongue weight) and the V6 engine, it will pull fine. I just had to update the rear shocks to heavy duty. That is to prevent a constant bounce when you go over tracks, or bumps. Those shocks are 7 years old.
I've had the Mr. Transmission tranny cooler installed, and the tranny has been flushed and there is new tranny fluid in it.
I'm just preparing the car for some long trips to Newfoundland, and out west to Alberta. I do not use the water tank in the camper, so there is no extra weight.
Thanks again....
Old 04-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
I think you are on the right track with the Monroes. We had a bit of a bounce problem with our Nissan van and a set of HD Gabriel shocks solved the problem. The part number for the van was the same part number for the F150 pickup.

PS... I also think your 500 will work fine with the egg. I have seen a few of them towing Airstreams up this way.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #8

Ontario
Thanks very much....this will work fine.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #9

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
My bet is that the bounce is in the trailer- tail wagging the dog syndrome. You might take a look at how you've got weight distributed in/on the trailer itself.

FYI:

I presume you're already aware of the frame recall on that Trillium model and have ensured that the reinforcement plates have been installed ...that notwithstanding, Trillium Tom recommends against w/d systems for that trailer, even if you could find one that fits your tug.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #10

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Per Post #6

Factory towing specifications is a well and oft travelled road hereabouts.....

Perhaps the dealership hasn't taken the time to read the owners manual for your car. I have checked numerous places on line and they all say that 1000 lbs is the maximum towing weight. Look in your own manual and see what it sez. At least in the lower 48 colonies, no dealership is ever authorized to override factory specifications.

The specification you mentioned is the standard specification for a class 2 hitch and does not suggest that it is the rating for the vehicle.

Suggestions that others may have seen the same vehicle towing heavier trailers goes back to what Mother said: " If Johnny jumped off the bridge, would you jump off the bridge". I personally know a now retired VW engineer that towed a 24 foot Airstream with a VW THING, but that didn't make it a good idea, much less a safe idea....

Again, check your own manual and remember, "DeNile is not a river in Egypt".
Old 04-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #11

Ontario
Thank you Francesca for the info on the trailer. That recall is good news. I'll check with my RV guy, and order it through him.
Donny55
Old 04-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #12

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
A 3600 pound car should be able to tow a 13 foot FG trailer. You might find it worthwhile to seek out an RV dealer to help you get the tongue weight and rear vehicle squat sorted out.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #13

Ontario
Thank you.....

Yep, your right. My car will pull it just fine. My RV guy has told me the same thing. This car is ready to tow that small Trillium camper. The support is there for the bounce, and with a tranny being flushed, a new tranny rad/cooler, HD shocks, it will be fine. Looking forward to a great summer.
We hope all of you have a great summer as well..happy camping everyone.
Donny55
Old 04-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #14
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Sounds good Donny. Will be watching for your rig this coming season here in Ontario.