Hitch Camera - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape ('Suite Escape')
Registry
Question Hitch Camera

Hi there,
Has anyone purchased and used the iBall hitch camera? Of course the You Tube video makes it look easy. Before I get one, I think it would be helpful to get feedback from fgrv people.
Thanks,
Sandra
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Swift

I don't know about the i-ball camera but my similar Swift camera is rather useless for my F350. The wireless connection simply is insufficient for clear picture. Recently, I tried to use it on the front hitch and even this distance was too long. After disappointment with wireless Swift I have now permanently wired rear view cameras on the truck and on the trailer. Wireless could work with shorter vehicle but did not work for me.

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Because being the backing director makes me nervous, I bought a hitch camera for the hubby. I also bought those magnetic yellow back-up balls, so he watches these in the hitch camera to help him get hitched. Picture is not great, but this is the only thing we use this for, so it does that job.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Someone I talked to said that as he parked behind someones unit his rear view monitor showed the front of his own vehicle. I guess the guy he pulled in behind had the same model of wireless rear view camera.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I don't know about the after market type of back up camera's but I love the back up camera that came on my truck. I hitch our trailer on my own (due to Dh's health) and I back straight to it. No back and forth. Sucess first attempt. The only time I did struggle with it, was once while trying to hitch up to leave a campground in WY and the sun was beating down on the trailer hitch and I just couldn't see anything. But once I put a red bandanna around the hitch I was able to see it and get hitched up. Thankfully I haven't had that issue again.

Of course the back up camera doesn't help with backing up the trailer (unless, your trailer has the back up camera installed on it). But backing up to the trailer with a back up camera does make the task simpler. let us know if you decide to buy it.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
As CindyL noted, we have the license plate camera mounted on our VW Eurovan. Combined with the extendable yellow balls that mount magnetically to the hitch, I can now get within about 2 inches every time I back up to connect to our trailer. It's close enough that I can wiggle the trailer into position for the final hookup. The camera is wireless and the picture is fuzzy at times, but it works. I think our long VW van is stretching the limits of the wireless signal.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #7

Bigfoot 21' cameras.

I installed on my F350 and on 21' Bigfoot a rear view cameras and I love it. Hooking the trailer is a zilch. I need to connect the trailer's rear view camera every time I hook up the trailer but it is worth while. Trailer’s camera is attached to the Bigfoot roof rack and there is no cable penetration through the roof. I am using Rear View Safety Camera system sold in Costco.
George.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_1197.JPG   DSC_1196.JPG  

DSC_1199.JPG   DSC_1201.JPG  

DSC_1204.JPG  
Old 03-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #8

Name: Ken
Trailer: 19' Scamp
Nebraska
I drive a Ford Sport Trac and pull a 19'er.. The magnetic balls make hitching up a breeze.
I doubt they would work well on a lower hitch but they might.
Earl E. November is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i just line up my rear mounted spare with the middle of the trailer
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I also have a 2 camera system from Rear View Safety. I have a 5" monitor that sits on the dash all the way to the left. It is in line with the RAV4's rear view mirror & works great for driving & hitching. I do find the connector used for the trailer camera is overkill & difficult to connect & disconnect, but overall a good system.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
............................ I do find the connector used for the trailer camera is overkill & difficult to connect & disconnect, but overall a good system.
I agree; the coiled cable with connectors is under-engineered overkill and cable is likely not shielded. My connector already gave me some trouble with oxidation so I had to clean it and lubricate with contact grease.

George.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape ('Suite Escape')
Registry
Thanks for the input.
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Low Low tech for me. Yellow balls on extendable rods with magnetic pads on the bottom. One sits on top of the trailer ball reciever, one sits just behind the hitch ball on the trailer. Line them up when backing up and when they 'kiss' you are there. 20buck investment.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Low Low tech for me. Yellow balls on extendable rods with magnetic pads on the bottom. One sits on top of the trailer ball receiver, one sits just behind the hitch ball on the trailer. Line them up when backing up and when they 'kiss' you are there. 20buck investment.
Actually only $8........ $10 here
Trailer Alignment Kit - Magnetic Trailer Alignment Kit

less 20% with coupon linked below.
Digital Savings
Old 04-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #15

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 1977 13-foot Scamp
Washington
I'm using Hitchin' Rods that I bought at Camping World. They work great every time. I don't need anyone to help me hitch up my trailer.

The way I've seen some couples get to yelling at each other during hitching, a set of these would really help to keep peace within the family.

Hitchin' Rods :: Hitchin Rods :: QWorks Corporation

Qworks Corp - Magnetic Hitchin' Rods - HR01C - Hitches & Hitch Bars - Camping World

Jeff
Jeff Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
What happens if you are hitching up at an angle instead of straight on to the trailer? I don't have the luxury of always being able to hitch & unhitch in a straight line.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:09 AM   #17

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 1977 13-foot Scamp
Washington
Last year I had to park my 13-foot Scamp on a steep hillside at a teardrop and vintage trailer gathering. I had to make several attempts with my Ranger pickup to get the ball and coupler lined up with the Hitchin' Rods.

I would back up until the rods were close together. I would set the parking brake on the truck and get out to see where the hitch ball was in relation to the coupler. I might have even turned the engine off and put it in gear for extra safety.

I would then pull forward a little and try again, turning the steering wheel to make an estimated move based on what I saw.

It might have taken three tries but I did get the ball and coupler lined up with no one else around. Almost everyone had left the event. Those that stayed behind were helping to put stuff away.

This was a very steep hill I had parked on for four days. I put pictures and information about this in another discussion on chocking wheels. Here's a link to that thread. My message is #31:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...r-49043-3.html

My backyard isn't absolutely flat where I sometimes park the Scamp. I back up until the rods are close together. I have to get out at least once to make sure that the ball is lower than the coupler. That is critical. I can then see the relationship between the ball and coupler.

Once I make sure the ball is below the coupler, I back up very slowly until the rod on top of the ball falls off. I am now in position to lower the coupler onto the ball.

Jeff
Jeff Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote