Hitch compatibility - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2016, 07:38 AM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the market
Wisconsin
Hitch compatibility

A newbee question: At some point in the next few months we intend to buy a FGRV of perhaps 16-17 ft, up to 3500# gross wt. If the right one comes along and time is of the essence, I want my tow vehicle (2016 Toyota Highlander, 3.5L, factory installed hitch/tow package rated 5000#) prepared to accept an electric brake control and trailer battery charger circuit. The hitch now has only the 4-in-line brake/running light connector socket. Are the connector sockets for brake controllers and charging circuit universal for trailers of that size? among other considerations, I understand that the hitch ball height must be compatible, but that's a quicker fix.
Thanks in advance for your comments,
Mike & Mary
SunBurnedWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
There are 7 pin connectors that you plug the existing 4 pin into and all you have to do is run 2 extra wires back for 12V and brake.
Multi-Tow® 4 Flat to 7 Blade & 4 Flat

With all the new electronics in vehicles these days, I suggest you check for compatibility. Are there Highlander forums?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:51 AM   #3

Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
Mike and Mary,
Here is some useful information at e-trailer.
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

Scroll down to the "7-way" diagrams. The center of the three diagrams/photos will apply to most all RV/s and travel trailers.

The Highlander is an excellent choice for a 17' FG trailer. With the tow package, the 12V. charge line and the brake line should be already run to a connection point toward the rear of the vehicle. I am unable to confirm that, though. If not, then a 10 ga. charge line and a 10 ga. brake would have to be run to the rear (10 ga. is my recommendation; some mfrs and others use 12 ga.).
Then all you need is the connections to the 7 pin receptacle.

Enjoy your search for the perfect trailer.
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:59 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
You'll want to check the tongue weight capacity of your hitch too. The Casita 17's are heavy on the tongue, over 400 lb, perhaps closer to 450 to 480.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:54 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
There are 7 pin connectors that you plug the existing 4 pin into and all you have to do is run 2 extra wires back for 12V and brake.
Multi-Tow® 4 Flat to 7 Blade & 4 Flat

With all the new electronics in vehicles these days, I suggest you check for compatibility. Are there Highlander forums?
As long as you need to run long wires (charge and brake wire) I would change out the 4 pin connector to a 7 pin rather than have multiple (in series) connections to keep clean. Less risks of corrosion.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Less risks of corrosion.
I hear you Charlie.
But sometimes those connectors are handy.
For me, I needed a "converter box" that slipped into the rear harness. That gave me a 4 pin connector which I used to connect to the 7 pin multi tow. At one point the converter box died and I had to replace it. It was plug and tow.

Then cover/lock broke on the 7 pin. It was cut an reconnect 2 wires to the new 7 pin and plug the converter box 4 pin into the back of it.

The connectors are not getting put on and off. You use a little dielectric grease and tape them up when installing. In 10 years of towing I'm on my 2nd converter box and 2nd multi tow female.

The converter box, converts the separate brake signal on the tow vehicle into the combined brake signal on the trailer. For my truck I used one of these: Ford / Mazda
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote