Hitch extension - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2010, 08:31 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
I am towing a Scamp 16 with a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. I would like to carry 2 bikes on my 2 inch receiver bike rack. Do you see a way to use this product to extend my hitch and add the bike rack?

What effect is the adding of the hitch extension going to have on my trailer towing?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/pro...p;storeId=6970l

Thanks,
Roger
Roger Harshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Hi Roger,

I'm considering that exact set-up. Thinking that, like a lever, the camper now exerts more pressure on the TV hitch. Essentially the tongue weight is now more. If so, don't know how to calculate the new weight. I have a 13' scamp and the tug is a 4-wheel-drive Ford Ranger with a 350-pound hitch weight capacity so I don't think I'll have a problem. With your heavier camper (I'm not familiar with your tug), you'll want more exact info. I'll be eagerly watching the comments!

Happy camping and biking!
Darnelle in MN
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I am towing a Scamp 16 with a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. I would like to carry 2 bikes on my 2 inch receiver bike rack. Do you see a way to use this product to extend my hitch and add the bike rack?

What effect is the adding of the hitch extension going to have on my trailer towing?

Thanks,
Roger
you may find clearance problems on the turns if you use an ordinary receiver-type bike rack with that adapter, since it is low enough to interfere with the propane tank or other stuff already mounted on the tongue.
But then again , the shape of the tongue and the configuration of the accessories may allow it. A little driveway experimentation may be in order. The attached photo shows the clearance with the rack mounted as close as possible to the trailer, which allows full articulation.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0046.JPG  
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Quote:

Thanks,
Roger
Hi there:
By adding an extension to your towing hitch, you will be sending the tongue weight
weight farther aft, or toward to rear, which in essence takes even more control off your driving/ braking wheels, (Front wheels in a Highlander).
In addition,you will also be adding the weight of the metal extension and Bicycles, to your tongue weight.
You might wish to consider attaching a bicycle rack to the rear bumper on the trailer, ensuring it is mounted high enough, so as not have the bicycle wheels touch pavement when entering and exiting driveways.

Just a thought.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:15 AM   #5

With the hitch that Roger shows, the bikes would always be parallel with the bumper of the TV and the camper tongue would pivot behind/below the bikes so the camper would be about the same distance from the bike rack on turns as it previously was from the TV bumper. There would be measurement differences if the camper tongue is now closer to the bikes than it was to the bumper. Definately test in the driveway.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #6

Jake really got me thinking about clearances, re: rack, TV, bikes, tongue, propane, etc. (Thank you!) I found this beautifulbikeracks.com/blog/, haven't read any of it yet.

Is there anyone out there who has experience hauling bikes from the hitch while towing? Your knowledge would be greatly apprediated!
Old 03-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
I briefly looked and couldn't find a source for my two comments.

I believe that when using an extension you should consider the towing capacity of TV reduced by 1/3rd to 1/2. I beliive I read this somewhere, but couldn't find it in a quick search.

I don't believe you should use a hitch extension when you have a weight control hitch. Leverage points are moved, dramatically changing the forces applied.

I am looking for a way to carry a bike rack and tow using weight control hitch. I'm thinking of installing a bumper hitch receiver that would be squeezed in just above the frame mounted receiver.

At any rate, I hope you find something that works for you safely.

1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's a couple of topics you may find of value:
Receiver mounted 2-bike rack, You can use it while towing!
Bumper hitch for bike carrier
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:00 PM   #9

Registry
Thanks Donna.

I like the look of the Advantage V-rack. I'm gonna have to see if my hitch has enough length between the receiver and the drop to the V-rack to be mounted on. Have to go out tomorrow and put the hitch in the reciever and see how much room there is. Found it for $56.00 and free shipping on Amazon.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:41 AM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Here is a picture of the 2-bike hitch that we purchased at Cabella's. It seems to add about 3 inches to the overall length of the ball mount. This is a regular ball hitch with the bike attachment welded just behind the ball. I use a couple elastic straps to keep the bike wheels from spinning. The bikes clear the UHaul surge brake just fine. We've used this setup a couple times, but now have folding bikes that fit in our van. Much more convenient when I want to get into the back hatch of the van and the bikes are smaller.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bikes_on_Hitch.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	26838
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #11

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Go to Harbor freight and check their multi use ball mount. item #66966-OVGA or item #99597-OVGA.
Both are less than $30.00 plus shipping.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #12

Registry
Correct item # 66966-0VGA
Old 03-19-2010, 12:07 AM   #13

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Thanks, I must be getting dyslexic in my old age.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 74 Trillium 13 ft
[quote]Here is a picture of the 2-bike hitch that we purchased at Cabella's. It seems to add about 3 inches to the overall length of the ball mount. This is a regular ball hitch with the bike attachment welded just behind the ball. I use a couple elastic straps to keep the bike wheels from spinning. The bikes clear the UHaul surge brake just fine. We've used this setup a couple times, but now have folding bikes that fit in our van. Much more convenient when I want to get into the back hatch of the van and the bikes are smaller.

Attachment 26838

we were looking into this set up too...I was wondering if it would work with a eurovan! now I know that it will! Kevin, do you think there is enough room for a 4 bike rack? we have a 13' trillium. If it didn't we were thinking about putting a hitch on the back of the trillium.
Erin W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:50 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
I am towing Scamp 13 1982 model and I had a carrier added to carry my mobility
scooter.My trailer tongue is about 3 ft longer and I pull with a 1994 GMC truck 6 cyl and
it works very well travled from FL to MO and to New Mexico than back to FL only
problem was I have a flat tire
It backs up very well.
Sherry P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:24 AM   #16

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I have a 17 ft Casita and I put my rack on the rear bumper---Keeps the bike cleaner(no stones thrown up at it from tow vehicle) and it is completely out of the way. Go this route and you won't be sorry. PS-It clears the spare tire very nicely too. Ron
RON HEIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #17

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Quote:
we were looking into this set up too...I was wondering if it would work with a eurovan! now I know that it will! Kevin, do you think there is enough room for a 4 bike rack? we have a 13' trillium. If it didn't we were thinking about putting a hitch on the back of the trillium.
I think there would be enough room, but you do have to start thinking about all that weight on the hitch point.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote