Hitch for 06 Toyota Sienna - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I believe U-Hauls are independent franchises, so I wouldn't make any blanket judgments based on one report or one location. I have had good experiences with the one near me over many years.

That said, though, if you already have a relationship with a trusted independent mechanic, that would be the place to go.

On a minivan, the hitch will be low. Weight distribution systems add quite a bit of weight of their own. With a 17' Casita (which averages 3300 pounds loaded and 425 pounds on the tongue) WDH is essential. With a 16'er, maybe not. Airbags are another way to stiffen up the rear for towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourdamental View Post
...I put most of my stuff in the van rather than in the trailer to keep things light for my tug...
Moving cargo from the trailer to the tug doesn't make it any lighter. Depending on where it is stowed in the vehicle, it could actually exacerbate the tongue load on the rear suspension. My Honda Pilot owner's manual has a chart showing how each 150 pound passenger (or equivalent cargo) reduces the trailer and tongue weight rating. The closer to the back of the vehicle, the greater the reduction.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:59 PM   #22

Name: Shelly
Trailer: Casita LD 17'
North Carolina
Tonie, 16 foot probably have been a better choice for me but the small refrigerator was a deal breaker. I figure the trailer will out last my vehicle as I already have 130k on the Sienna. My next TV will probably be a van...not a minivan.
You're right Jon in AZ, I should not make blanket statement regarding CW and Uhaul.

Shelly in NC
Gourdamental is offline   Reply With Quote