Hitch for 06 Toyota Sienna - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2016, 07:12 PM   #1

Name: Toinette
Trailer: 2011 Egg Camper #101, the Abel Egg, pulled by 2019 Nissan PathFinder
Alabama
Registry
Hitch for 06 Toyota Sienna

Hi, all. I have an 06 Toyota Sienna. I need to get a hitch put on it. I don't have a travel trailer yet, but I want to be ready, if possible, when I do see a tt available that I can get. . .

My question: Is it possible to get a hitch put on that will work with different types (brands) of fiberglass travel trailers? OR - Do I wait until I find the trailer, then have the hitch put on the car?

Also, is there a particular type/brand of hitch that you guys would recommend?

I know this topic may already have been discussed. I have tried several searches, and always get 50+ pages per topic returned. Obviously, I haven't broken the code on how to do that yet.

Thanks for any help you all can give me.

Tonie Welch
TWelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:20 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If you plan to install it yourself, check out www.etrailer.com everything you need to decide which hitch and how to install. No need to wait, a good 2" hitch should be sufficient to tow a fgrv.
Daniel E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:22 PM   #3

Alabama
Registry
Thanks, Daniel. I probably won't be installing it myself, but I'll certainly check out the link! I appreciate it.
Tonie
Old 03-15-2016, 08:28 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hitch for 06 Toyota Sienna

First determine the tow rating of your Sienna. Without the factory tow package it may be as low as 2000 pounds. If it has the tow package it is rated 3500 pounds, I believe. Your owner's manual will spell it out for you. If you don't know whether it has the tow package, a Toyota dealer should be able to look up the VIN and tell you exactly how it was built from the factory.

If your Sienna does not have the tow package, you have a tough decision to make: limit yourself to a 2000 pound trailer (which means a 13'er), or look for a vehicle with more capacity. It might be possible to add some of the content of the tow package using aftermarket products. A transmission cooler of adequate size is the most important.

As to the hitch receiver, I would install a class II or III hitch with a 2" opening rated at least 3500 pounds. Understand that the hitch rating is only for the hitch and does not change the rating of the vehicle to which it is attached. Here's some information about hitch class ratings. Our local U-Haul dealer installed the hitch on our previous tow vehicle, a 2000 Sienna, and I was happy with their work.

Then you will need a drawbar and ball. You will probably want to hold off on that until you have found a trailer. The amount of drop or rise (more likely in your case) will depend on the height of the trailer tongue, and that can vary a lot. You want the trailer to sit level or slightly nose-down when hitched. Some older trailers take a 1-7/8" ball, but most take a 2" ball.

Best wishes getting it all sorted out!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:31 PM   #5

Get a class III hitch.
If your future trailer requires weight distribution, you'll be all set.
The Sienna hitches are usually mounted quite low below the rear bumper, so you can't tolerate much rear sag otherwise the hitch will scrape at the slightest bump.

I have a Highlander of the same vintage (same engine), the suspension of these vehicles is quite soft. I use a WD hitch and wouldn't tow without it.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #6

Alabama
Registry
Thanks, John. Our model is rated at 3500 lbs. but I don't want to "push" things.

I do appreciate all the details available about hitches. I plan to go to a rally this coming weekend and talk to people there. I hope to see some rigs similar to what I think I will end up with. . .

:-)

Thanks again,
Tonie
Old 03-15-2016, 08:35 PM   #7

Alabama
Registry
Thanks, Carl. I appreciate the info. Will plan on a Class III. Did you get your hitch put on at the dealer or do it yourself, or did it come with it?
Thanks,
Tonie
Old 03-15-2016, 08:44 PM   #8

It came with one that wasn't rated for weight distribution. I found a rated one like-new in my local classifieds. Installation is simple, only 6 bolts to torque. Threaded holes are already on the vehicle. If your van never had a hitch bolted on, there might be some surface rust in these holes, you may want to run a tap in the holes to clean the threads first. But this may not be necessary.

Bolting the hitch on is the easy part. Wiring the 7-pin trailer plug and installing the electric brake controller is much more work!
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I put the linked Curt class III on my 06 Sienna. When I sold that van, I removed it and put it on my 2011 Sienna. It fits well and is up close to the bottom of the bumper. But, it still scrapes when driven up too steep an incline. I don't think you will find a better hitch.

2006 Toyota Sienna Trailer Hitch - Curt

http://s293.photobucket.com/user/tom...tml?sort=3&o=6
Old 03-16-2016, 07:28 AM   #10

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
The dealership can definitely put a hitch on, but if it were me, I'd find a locally owned independent shop to do it. I tend not to trust dealerships, and one thing is for sure: they will be the most expensive.

Putting a hitch on your van is really a very simple job. Even one of those small shops that do mostly tires and oil changes, but some repairs, would be able to do this no problem, and probably for cheaper. They'd probably be able to do the wiring, too.

But that's up to you. If you have a good relationship with your local dealership and only feel comfortable using them, that's ok.

U-haul is a good option.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:56 AM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I went to U-Haul. I bolted the receiver hitch on my self.(From Etrailer) Bought the brake controler and 7 pin wiring from U Haul and had them hook it all up. total cost was about $400.00 Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:22 AM   #12

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Hitch receivers are like clothing, all about the same except for size.
Small - class I
Medium - class II
Large - class III
XL - class IV
A class IV won't fit, and isn't made for the Sienna. Best to get the largest one that fits, since the price difference between class II and III is minimal, and the class III will give you plenty of cushion in terms of strength. So get a class III. Other than that, they're all about the same. I am not a fan of the Curt brand, but other than that I'd get whichever brand costs the least.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:59 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Not sure I completely agree, Mike. Certainly the hitch class (i.e., "size") is the primary consideration. But, like clothes, some fit better than others: better integrated with the rear bumper fascia, don't hang down as far, look better. Some are better quality: neater welds, better paint.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:09 PM   #14

Alabama
Registry
Thanks, Tom. I figured that once on, it would go with the van if I ever sell it. Nice to know I can take it off and take it with me. . .

Tonie
Old 03-16-2016, 01:11 PM   #15

Alabama
Registry
Thanks, Zach. I have a recommendation for a shop nearby that I think I'll check out. The dealership has certainly been the most expensive in the past. . .

Tonie
Old 03-16-2016, 01:13 PM   #16

Alabama
Registry
Thanks Carl and Zach. I will definitely check out U-haul.
Tonie
Old 03-16-2016, 01:17 PM   #17

Alabama
Registry
Tom, thanks for the links. Beautiful bluebonnet photo with your rig!
Tonie
Old 03-16-2016, 01:18 PM   #18

Alabama
Registry
Mike and Jon, and all who respond - thanks. I read them all and take note. May not get to thank each one individually, but I appreciate the help!

Tonie
Old 03-18-2016, 11:44 AM   #19

Name: Shelly
Trailer: Casita LD 17'
North Carolina
Tonie, I have a 06 Toyota Sienna. I added the transmission cooler as recommended by Toyota. I am currently towing a 17 foot Casita. I have weight distribution hitches and a sway bar. I had Camping World install my hitch in Garner North Carolina. They did an awful job of attaching the 7 pin electrical which I have replaced and had to have rewired. The hitch is very low and I tend to bottom out going over speed bumps and low dips (this is where my face scrunched in pain when I hear the grind). I have not had any problems with over heating nor bogging down over steep grades. I have been cross country twice and I love the comfort of my minivan. I put most of my stuff in the van rather than in the trailer to keep things light for my tug.
I suggest having a professional hitch company install you Class 3 hitch but not CW nor UHaul.

Shelly, Durham NC
Gourdamental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:50 PM   #20

Alabama
Registry
Shelly, thank you so much for the information. I appreciate it so much. Do you think having a 16' rather than a 17' would make a difference, or is the hitch just going to be low, period?
I'll probably take the van in to an automotive repair shop we've dealt with, here in town, over the years. They've been reliable in the past, and I hope appreciate our business. . .
Thanks again for the info. I take it all to heart.
Tonie and Abel, the Shiloh Shepherd