Hitch height - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #15

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I agree with almost everyone else, who are saying that by the time the trailer is loaded the tongue weight will almost certainly be much more than 440 pounds, and too high for that ballmount.

Where I will disagree is regarding an adjustable ball mount. I would spend the few minutes extra to get the right drop of fixed-height mount (probably some forged Class 4 model), and make the hitch simpler - fewer parts to get loose, or extend the ball position undesirably rearward. Of course, with that much truck the distance from rear axle to ball isn't critical, and an adjustable mount might be handy for towing someone else's trailer (such as a rental) someday.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #16

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
... assuming the bottom side of the coupler is continuous with the bottom line of the frame, the trailer is level when the distance from ground to coupler equals the distance from ground to frame in near proximity to the axle (on more or less level ground).
Yes, I agree that you can see the correct coupler height by looking at the trailer (no official spec required), but I understand that David does not have the trailer yet. Also, the top of the inside of the coupler (the top of the ball), could also be level with the top of the frame, or lower than the bottom, or somewhere else, depending on the tongue and coupler designs.

In the only photo on the BigfootRV.com site (in the 2500 series trailer Photo Gallery) which I found that shows the B21 coupler, it appears that the top of coupler/ball height is about level with the top of the frame, which in turn appears to be at the top of the wheel, which would be about 22" above the ground. That's tall for our trailers, but not unusual for trailers of the B21's size and chassis construction.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #17

Name: David
Trailer: Own a 2013 BF 21 foot.
California
Thanks folks, I'm getting good info here. The trailer should arrive at the dealership the end of this month. One more question if you please, might the board recommend any make and model of hitch I may want to check out? I towed years ago but have been hauling a slide in camper so need info. Hey, that's why I joined the board. ;-) Thanks.

David
Socal
Old 03-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #18

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifermc View Post
Thanks folks, I'm getting good info here. The trailer should arrive at the dealership the end of this month. One more question if you please, might the board recommend any make and model of hitch I may want to check out? I towed years ago but have been hauling a slide in camper so need info. Hey, that's why I joined the board. ;-) Thanks.

David
Socal
I'd go to etrailer, look up hitches that fit your TV and compare ratings and comments.

Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com
Old 03-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #19

Alberta
Quote:

David
Socal
"Hitch" can be used to refer to a lot of different parts of the hitch system which connects the truck to the trailer. In this case, it's not the coupler we're talking about - that's a part of the new trailer and wouldn't need replacement. Usually it's the receiver, which is the frame mounted to the truck, but again in this case David already has suitable equipment.

Are we talking about the ball mount? Unless you're getting something unusual -such as aluminum or extremely high capacity - or adjustable, they're pretty generic.

That just leaves a weight distribution system, which includes a ball mount in replacement of a normal mount. Is that what you're asking about, David?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #20

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
First thing you do is get one of these Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scales
and then one of these Adjustable Ball Mount Ball Mounts | etrailer.com
with a 1000 lb ball. Then you will be set.
The Sherline scale (or equivalent) is a great idea. It is the safe and convenient way to weigh heavy trailer tongues.

Was "1000 lb ball" intended to mean a ball with 1000 lb tongue weight rating? Balls generally are not rated that way, only by total trailer weight. Perhaps this was intended to be "10,000 lb (gross trailer weight rating) ball"?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #21

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Best Use of Crystal Ball award to Brian for his work sorting the undifferentiated vernacular!!

jack
Old 03-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #22

California
Called BF and they tild ne 440 lbs dry. So tongue weight will increase with add ons. Height ti top of ball hitch 23 1/4 inches.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:10 AM   #23

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
500 lbs may set your truck down a couple of inches. You should allow for that. Ideal is to have the trailer perfectly level when fully loaded. Bigfoots have a tall ball height. Running a one ton dually don't waste your money and especially your time on an equalizer hitch. It takes three times as long to hitch your trailer with one.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:29 AM   #24

California
Use to carry a camper and have "stable loads" installed on my springs so don't think the hitch weight will have much effect on lowering the truck bed. My concern is trying to keep the trailer as level as possible. Thanks to all for your input.

David
Socal
Old 03-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #25

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Best Use of Crystal Ball award to Brian for his work sorting the undifferentiated vernacular!!
And yet, almost two weeks later and with two more posts from David, we still have no indication of whether or not this is what he meant

People with crystal balls are usually wrong...
Old 03-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #26

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

People with crystal balls are usually wrong...
And walk funny.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #27

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Called BF and they tild ne 440 lbs dry. So tongue weight will increase with add ons. Height ti top of ball hitch 23 1/4 inches.
Never hurts to get the info from the people who build it

Did BF give you a hint as to what you might expect the tongue weight to be in real life loaded for camping situations? As the dry weight probable doesn't include your full propane tanks or battery or AC or any other extras you may have ordered and what ever you stow in the trailer so you might want to make sure your covered in case its more than double that loaded up. Looking at the Trailer Weights in the Real World Specs its very possible for it to come in at more than double. The 21' rear bed model weighed came in at 1160lbs on the tongue.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #28

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Never hurts to get the info from the people who build it
Absolutely!

But until you do that, a decent guess - 1.25" off - doesn't hurt to start planning:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
In the only photo on the BigfootRV.com site (in the 2500 series trailer Photo Gallery) which I found that shows the B21 coupler, it appears that the top of coupler/ball height is about level with the top of the frame, which in turn appears to be at the top of the wheel, which would be about 22" above the ground.
Quote:
Called BF... Height ti top of ball hitch 23 1/4 inches.