hitch height - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
hitch height

Scamp suggests a ball hitch height of 18" for their 13'. Is this measured to top of ball? We're picking up a new 13 in a couple months and want to be sure we have the correct hitch setup. Thanks.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Normally that is to the bottom of the ball, when attached the trailer should be level.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
To be safe, you can purchase a height adjustable hitch.
8-in-1 Adjustable Ball Mount Hitch
It can be installed as pictured or turned upright if you have to add height.

Etrailer has a plethora of hitch devices.

etrailer.com - Products adjustable hitch
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:55 PM   #4

And, I like to have the trailer level with the tow vehicle.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #5

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post

Thanks Darwin. Do you suggest the adjustable mount just as a precaution for this one-time pick-up situation, or do you find that you need to make adjustments periodically depending on how your vehicle is loaded in order to maintain level?
Old 02-10-2014, 03:37 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post

The adjustable hitch is probably better suited to those who tow multiple trailers with the same vehicle and need to adjust the hitch height for each. For a single vehicle-trailer combination, is best to buy a hitch with the correct amount of drop or rise to suit your specific trailer.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #7

To be absolutely honest with you, what I would do is just get one of these:
Ball Mount Hitch with 6" Drop
And use it. A little high or a little low just ain't gonna matter that much. The hitch above can be inserted either way - a little low or high. When you do that, you must remove the ball and install it in the other direction. Should you not require a 4" drop, you can purchase these things with less or more drop - lift.

Harbor freight is less expensive than most others so you don't have much invested to begin with.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Personally have found that having the hitch height incorrect by as little as few inches to high can make a big difference the tow stability. I purchased when I first started towing with my smallish cross over SUV 2 different bars until I got one that felt right under most towing situations. Although I have a much larger heavier tug now am seriously considering getting an adjustable draw bar for it. There are times when it would be nice to easily drop it down a bit to get a little more weight on the tongue i.e. when I am traveling on a freeway with a fully loaded water tanks at the rear of the trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I am assuming that your buying a 13 foot trailer that you are probably using a light weight tug to match the light weight trailer. If you are indeed using a light weight tug I would have a full grown adult stand on your bumper while you measure for the proper ball height. A 200 lb person should just about simulate the tongue weight drop of a 13 foot trailer.
You could also call Scamp and see if they stock stingers and can set you up from the get go when you get there avoiding you starting your own personal collection of stingers like alot of us have.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I would have a full grown adult stand on your bumper while you measure for the proper ball height. A 200 lb person should just about simulate the tongue weight drop of a 13 foot trailer.
You could also call Scamp and see if they stock stingers and can set you up from the get go when you get there avoiding you starting your own personal collection of stingers like alot of us have.
LOL Great advise!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #11

Name: Ben
Trailer: In the Market
Montana
The 18" is really a starting point. If you are picking up a used Scamp, like many of us, the axle may be shot or have been fixed with a higher ride. In either case, this will affect the hitch height (as I found out recently). While getting prepared to pick up an 82 Scamp, I set my hitch to 18. When I showed up, I really needed about 14". The trailer rode nose up for about 5 miles until I found an Autozone. With the low clearance and a shot axle, it doesn't take much to make the trailer ride seriously out of whack.
Str8781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #12

Name: Ben
Trailer: In the Market
Montana
I should have read the original post more closely. I would say that 18" to the bottom of the ball (top of the ball mount) will be good.
Str8781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:54 AM   #13

Trailer: Compact Jr and Amerigo Truck Camper
Etrailer.com/faq-ballmount shows how to measure
George Kepnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #14

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I'm purchasing a new Scamp 16'. The paperwork received from Scamp notes explicitly: "you will need a 2" ball. Approx 21" from the ground to the top of the ball."
Old 02-11-2014, 06:45 AM   #15

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
I'm purchasing a new Scamp 16'. The paperwork received from Scamp notes explicitly: "you will need a 2" ball. Approx 21" from the ground to the top of the ball."

Excellent - this makes clear that in Scamp-speak, ball height is to the top. I've seen it both ways - there doesn't seem to be a standard, so this is very helpful to know what the Scamp folks mean.

Thanks everyone for the advice. TV is a Toyota highlander and we're traveling light for the pick-up trip so I think we should be close if we go with the Scamp spec for height (and as someone pointed out, worst case is finding an Auto-zone on the return).
Old 02-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #16

Registry
Lots of folks here towing with a Highlander and loving it. Keep in mind that depending on the age of your Highlander and the state of its rear shocks the trailer may force the rear down a little bit.

The key to picking your hitch drop is to make sure you error on the side of it being to low vs to high. We have had plenty of people here find out the hard way that having the trailers tongue sitting to high isn't a nice first tow experience.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #17

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Lots of folks here towing with a Highlander and loving it. Keep in mind that depending on the age of your Highlander and the state of its rear shocks the trailer may force the rear down a little bit.

The key to picking your hitch drop is to make sure you error on the side of it being to low vs to high. We have had plenty of people here find out the hard way that having the trailers tongue sitting to high isn't a nice first tow experience.
Helpful "err to low" tip. Thanks
Old 02-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #18

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Whoever you are buying your hitch or stinger from should be able to help you out. Bring a tape measurer. Test out how much you drop first with some weight on your rear bumper. That will give you a good idea

The stingers are not expensive. I've picked up a few over the years. Check into anti rattle devices. Your first trip with things rattling can be unnerving if you have not towed before.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote