Hitch help! - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2007, 02:25 PM   #61

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
One more suggestion I would make -- anything you load into the trailer, put it on the floor. Use plastic totes, and then load the cabinets after you arrive. By keeping the center of gravity on the trailer low, the trailer will move around less on the road, putting less force against the tow vehicle. And, goodness gracious, go slow! Take a look at the "Is your tow vehicle too small" thread in general chat.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:35 PM   #62

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Well, we went to NC from VA (about 3 hours drive) and picked up our new (used) 1999 16'Scamp. We stayed in NC overnight, just for fun. We wanted to play with our new (used) camper and see how everything works.

I'm glad to be able to tell you that the Subie did great. It had no problems towing the 16' Scamp. The engine really only felt the extra load it on acceleration. There was an impact on gas mileage, but performance up hills was fine. At 60mph in 4th gear, the RPMs stayed centered on 3000, and we still had plenty of power left for emergencies. Braking was smooth and controlled, even thru turns.

We packed everything with a thought toward keeping the load low and centered on the trailer axle. The tongue weight was 195lbs, right at the manufacurer's limit, but the car handled it just fine. The rear suspension only sagged about 2 inches or so when the tongue was lowered, which put the tongue at an almost perfect height for good balance. We used a ball mount with 5"rise in order to get as close as possible to the recomended tongue height, but that's the only adaptation we used.

We left the battery on the tongue and grey water and fresh water in the tanks and the kitchen wares in the cabinets. We had groceries, bedding, clothes and camping gear also, so the trailer was fully loaded. Yet, we had no problems with sway or bucking. The car road a little rougher than usual on one stretch in NC where the road was rough. But, there was never any time that the car felt out of control or the steering sluggish, it was just a little bumpier than normal.

All I can say is that Subaru sure makes a tough little car.
Laura K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #63

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Glad to hear all was good for you.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:56 PM   #64

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Laura,

I glad your trip completed safely and I hope you enjoy your new trailer. You have more guts than I do. As i stated previously,I would never use a Forester to pull a 16Ft trailer at those weights mainly because of sway concerns. I hope that I'm wrong.

Bes regards,
Jerry
Old 09-23-2007, 08:17 PM   #65

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Laura, since you have the hitch weight, do you also have the trailer axle weight? After all of the speculation, it would be interesting to hear where reality ended up.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote