Hitch mounts & ball - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2018, 12:03 PM   #1

Name: Biker
Trailer: 2018 Bigfoot 21' 25B21FB (PREV: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe)
North Carolina
Hitch mounts & ball

Hi,

Purchased first tow vehicle (ever!) last week and plan to purchase a fiberglass trailer in near future.

Leaning towards Bigfoot or Escape possibly, but still researching/studying.

Wondering if there is a "standard" height for most fiberglass trailers where they attach to the tow vehicle (receiver hitch) or does the height vary?

Trying to determine how best to approach buying a ball mount & ball for the truck's receiver hitch as I noticed there are many options when it comes to ball mounts.

Thank you in advance for answers/guidance!
biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker View Post
Hi,

Purchased first tow vehicle (ever!) last week and plan to purchase a fiberglass trailer in near future.

Leaning towards Bigfoot or Escape possibly, but still researching/studying.

Wondering if there is a "standard" height for most fiberglass trailers where they attach to the tow vehicle (receiver hitch) or does the height vary?

Trying to determine how best to approach buying a ball mount & ball for the truck's receiver hitch as I noticed there are many options when it comes to ball mounts.

Thank you in advance for answers/guidance!
Most are level at about 19 inches, but I'd wait until you decide on a particular trailer. Then you can buy the ball mount with a "drop" in inches that will put the ball at the height you need for your particular tow.

Part of the choice depends on whether or not you're going to use an anti-sway bar as that requires a 2nd smaller ball on the ball mount part.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:37 PM   #3

North Carolina
thank you Charlie for the good information.

the one thought I was having was if I go the used trailer route and it was a good drive away to where the current owner lives.

would like to have something in case I decide to buy after looking at it and didn't know if there was a safe height to factor for and maybe pick up something basic (inexpensive) that would work well regardless of the FG trailer make/model and then look at (more expensive) anti-sway bar/weight distribution hitch options after I get the trailer home.

are anti-sway bar/weight distribution hitches ALWAYS a good idea with FG trailers? or is it wise to trying towing first without one to see how it goes?

thanks again!
Old 07-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A properly loaded and balanced trailer should not need a sway control bar under normal conditions. It is something many people choose for an added measure of safety in an unusual situation. Some WDH systems integrate sway control, so until you determine if you need WDH, no point in buying a stand-alone sway bar.

The need for a weight distributing hitch depends on the specific vehicle and trailer. You can anticipate the need by researching trailer and tongue weights in the Trailer Weights in the Real World thread and reading what your owner's manual says about the threshold for WDH. Assuming a light duty truck or SUV, tongue weights between 300-500 pounds may benefit from WDH, anything over 500 pounds probably will. The larger Bigfoot trailers will likely warrant WDH. Escapes are lighter, so maybe, maybe not.

Hitch heights vary. Some people modify the suspension for greater clearance. Shopping used, you just can't know what's going to show up as the "perfect" trailer for you. All in all, its probably best to locate the trailer first.

One thing you can work on in advance is a brake controller, unless your truck already has a factory integrated controller.

Congratulations on taking the first step, and best wishes in your trailer search!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #5

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
There will probably be lots of places that will carry a hitch ball and mount near where ever you buy the trailer such as Lowe's, Home Depot, Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, RV Dealerships, etc. If you buy used you may try to buy the hitch from the seller.

If you buy new you can get everything at the dealership where you buy the Big Foot. If you buy a new Escape you will have to go to Chilliwack, Canada and they will help you set it up.

Big Foot and Escape can be heavy trailers, you did not mention what TV you recently purchased, or the length of the TT's you are considering.

We bought a Casita from the Factory in Rice, TX and towed it home to Tennessee without a WDH or sway control. Did have a Brake controller, but did not know how to use it. Is our first and only TT to date, so we too had a lot to learn.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I used a 2 inch drop ball connection on my F150 with our Casita. It was perfect. When I got our Escape 19, I noticed the trailer was not level. So I picked up a receiver that was level (2 inches higher), and it worked fine. Harbor Freight sells receiver with the ball welded on, at a low cost.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:03 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
One thing to look at, is how far back the ball mount (drawbar) puts the ball.
It should be as close to the back bumper as possible. That will reduce the tendency for the "tail to wag the dog"
You may be able to drill a second cross hole in the shank of the ball mount to move the ball forward.
Another is to have a tight fit between the drawbar and receiver. Add a set screw or shims to take up any play. There are snubber kits made for that purpose.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:39 PM   #8

North Carolina
thank you Jon, Henry, Bill and Wayen/Barbara for the terrific information and guidance

i purchased a '18 Tundra but do not desire to push up against its max towing capabilities. my mindset going in was to get something that could handle 21' or smaller (hope to stay 19' or under) with the hopes of having a buffer of capacity to stay as safe as possible in all driving/towing scenarios we may encounter. (there were other non-towing considerations, such as carrying a beast of a fishing kayak for getting out with my son, when looking at vehicle options)

i'm currently working through the towing guidelines/requirements outlined in the vehicle's owners manual and will likely have follow-up questions/other that i hope you may be able to comment on

appreciate you all sharing your experiences, knowledge and pearls of wisdom now and going forward!
Old 07-08-2018, 07:02 PM   #9

Registry
Hitch balls also come with different ratings. Be careful, there are a lot of 3500 pound rated 2 inch hitch balls out there. Its printed on the ball, but you have to look carefully. I went with the 5000 pound rated ball. Since it is permanently welded to the receiver, I didn't have to worry about torquing the attachment nut in place.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:01 PM   #10

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
My hitch is rated for 10,000 pounds but is fully adjustable I'm pulling with a Chevy Astro van I use a weight distribution hitch to keep everything level.

Last fall I had my Bigfoot raised with a lift kit 4 inches, once this was done they flipped the hitch now instead of sucking the tongue up I'm sucking it down to be level which is fine.

You have two ways to go getting what you need for a hitch to be compatible or something with flexibility such as what I have.
If needed I could add a sway bar with my hitch, I've not had my trailer out yet this year since changing with the lift kit so I don't know yet if I need a sway bar but the hitch will accommodate one.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:49 PM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: Currently shopping
New York
I opted to buy a hitch with a sway bar and WD for safety. I found that my 17 ft Casita trails much better abd when there is a little sway it stops real quick. Doesn't cost that much more and I think it is well worth it.
Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dave View Post
I opted to buy a hitch with a sway bar and WD for safety. I found that my 17 ft Casita trails much better abd when there is a little sway it stops real quick. Doesn't cost that much more and I think it is well worth it.
That's all fine when you have a beast of a TV with plenty of reserve power, and a bottomless purse.
For those of us trying to keep it light - for max fuel efficiency - all that stuff just adds dead weight.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:17 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Better dead weight than dead.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:50 AM   #14

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Hitch balls also come with different ratings. Be careful, there are a lot of 3500 pound rated 2 inch hitch balls out there. Its printed on the ball, but you have to look carefully. I went with the 5000 pound rated ball. Since it is permanently welded to the receiver, I didn't have to worry about torquing the attachment nut in place.
Thanks. I did not know hitch balls come with different settings. I thought it was just the size of the ball.

Always something new...wonder what else I think I know that I really don't...

Geez Louise. It's like I am sitting in my nice comfy camp chair, beer in hand, relaxing, feet nice and toasty by the campfire, and the wife says, "don't move, you have a rattlesnake under your chair"...

Come to think of it, just to be clear, do you mean the 3500 lb is the hitch weight or the maximum weight of the trailer being towed?. That is, my hitch weight is about 525 lbs. So I have 3500 lbs - 525 lbs = 2,975 lbs lbs reserve capacity.

On the other hand, my trailer, loaded, weighs about 4,000 lbs, so am I over the limit of the ball by 500 lbs?
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Thanks. I did not know hitch balls come with different settings. I thought it was just the size of the ball.

Always something new...wonder what else I think I know that I really don't...

Geez Louise. It's like I am sitting in my nice comfy camp chair, beer in hand, relaxing, feet nice and toasty by the campfire, and the wife says, "don't move, you have a rattlesnake under your chair"...

Come to think of it, just to be clear, do you mean the 3500 lb is the hitch weight or the maximum weight of the trailer being towed?. That is, my hitch weight is about 525 lbs. So I have 3500 lbs - 525 lbs = 2,975 lbs lbs reserve capacity.

On the other hand, my trailer, loaded, weighs about 4,000 lbs, so am I over the limit of the ball by 500 lbs?
It's the gross trailer weight. So if you're towing a 4000 pound trailer with a 3500 pound ball, you're over its rating.

And don't feel bad. I learned something new, too!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: Currently shopping
New York
Glenn Baglo,

Great answer!!! I like that better than mine!
Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:25 PM   #17

Registry
And a lot of stores they are sold side by side for close to the same price. So it’s easy to get the wrong one.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:18 PM   #18

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Sometimes the right size is the right size.
I was looking for a WDH for my ~2800 lb Scamp ( much modified) and I also wanted sway control.
I decided that the Reese Mini 350 rated 3500 lbs (like the T&C minivan) and 350 lb tongue loading would match the camper and the van pretty well and have the springing and sway control pretty much where it needed to be.
Too stiff load springs is not good and neither is too weak.
Light duty WDH are not easy to find at a good price.
More heavy duty units are easy and cheaper to find on Craigslist etc.
I found my Mini 350 is a few different pieces to put together the whole thing.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Sometimes the right size is the right size.
I was looking for a WDH for my ~2800 lb Scamp ( much modified) and I also wanted sway control.
I decided that the Reese Mini 350 rated 3500 lbs (like the T&C minivan) and 350 lb tongue loading would match the camper and the van pretty well and have the springing and sway control pretty much where it needed to be.
Too stiff load springs is not good and neither is too weak.
Light duty WDH are not easy to find at a good price.
More heavy duty units are easy and cheaper to find on Craigslist etc.
I found my Mini 350 is a few different pieces to put together the whole thing.
We towed a 2800+ lb Scamp for 16 years with Honda Odysseys and no WDH.
Just don't put too much heavy stuff in the back of your van, to reduce the droop.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Droop isn't my concern ( I don't drive at night ). My concern is handling and those who have WDH report that the ride and handling is much improved.