Hitch popped off -- Replacement - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-22-2014, 12:56 PM   #15

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I always use a padlock to lock the hitch to the ball because some years ago it was reported that a camper came off the hitch and the owner said someone lifted the hitch latch when they were in the diner eating. Lock it and always do a walk around B 4 you get on the road again.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I think it's a very rare disease, that's found only in those that do extreme off-road towing and need 180 degrees of hitch rotation in addition to the usual flexability we need.

BUT: As an after thought, having that hitch on ones trailer would reduce (but not eliminate) the possibility of theft

Old 06-22-2014, 01:22 PM   #17

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Did the op change the name of the trailer he was towing?????
It was word for word, copy and paste.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #18

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Lock N Roll is quite unique and I can C where it could make a thief pass the egg by for something that she can hitch up tp.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:35 PM   #19

Name: kenny
Trailer: Bigfoot 13'
Utah
I came over to talk to a friend who was hooking his new scamp 16 foot to the tow. he put the lever down and the lock in place , it looked like it was high on the ball. I thought that it must be okay because He locked It down and I said nothing. He moved it about 150 yards to the camp ground exit and it came off, when he stopped. WE - put it back on and it went down 1/2" to 3/4", +- . I put my fingers under the edge of the coupler, at the bottom of the ball and it was very close to the bottom of the ball, he checked this space every time for the next 10,000 miles of our trip. not a speck of problem. I guess, you can guess what I think occurred. By looking or feeling the underside of the hitch, it could ease ones concern! ????
Later Kenny
Old 06-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #20

California
Yep, I guess for some that we need to have a "Smart" hitch with 6 red and 6 green LED's in a self powered display box.

1. Tells you that the coupler is all the way down on the ball
2. Tells you that the latch is closed.
3. Tells you that the ball is pulled in tight
4. Tells you that the locking pin is in the latch
5. Tells you that both Safety chains are connected
6. Does a self test to verify that the 7 pin connector is properly inserted.

Six Greens means GO?

But don't forget the power cable, the water hose, the sewer hose and the leveling blocks. But that's another set of lights for the "Smart trailer" owner.

But Wait!!!!! Maybe Sheldon could just make an app for all that..... LOL.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #21

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
Hitch popped off -- Replacement

I was able to turn the latch adjusting screw 2-3 turns tighter on my brand new scamp. I figure better snug with grease than too loose. I knew to check since a previous trailer popped off 10 years ago. Love those safety chains. They worked.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:16 PM   #22

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I missed that one Gary,

Thought I should add that sometimes the clunk one hears is from the bar rattling in the receiver. I bought one of those anti rattle devices and it solved the problem.
I have a bar that is slightly undersized, so as is, it rattles in the receiver. To stop the rattle, I made a couple wraps around both ends of the bar with electrician's tape (the rubberized kind) so it fits snuggly front and rear when slid into place (kind of like adding a thin rubber bushing at the front and back of the bar). With use, the tape gets pretty smashed in there, but it stays stuck to the bar when I swap it in and out, and no more rattle.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:56 PM   #23

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by karrowr View Post
I've since learned that this is not at all uncommon. Lots of folks have their hitches pop off and some boat towers even put extra weight on the front fork to prevent it.

I just replaced the ball hitch with a Lock 'n Roll hitch from Chicago Forge, an incredibly heavy-duty affair that is absolutely secure <www.locknroll.com>. It also tows much more smoothly without the "clunk" that you hear when the ball hits the side of its socket. Highly recommended.
I have never had a hitch that was locked and adjusted correctly pop off - either on a travel trailer or a boat. If your hearing clunk its a good bet the hitch nut on the underside isn't set correctly.

I do know it not all that uncommon for folks to do a false hitch lock as we have had more than a few really experienced folks here confess to having done that at least once in their towing life. Don't think one needs to spend much if any money to fix that problem. As others have indicated its avoided by taking the time to adjust the nut on the underside of the tongue and then jacking the tongue back up once you have connected the hitch to make sure you haven't false locked it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:50 PM   #24

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I have a bar that is slightly undersized, so as is, it rattles in the receiver. To stop the rattle, I made a couple wraps around both ends of the bar with electrician's tape (the rubberized kind) so it fits snuggly front and rear when slid into place (kind of like adding a thin rubber bushing at the front and back of the bar). With use, the tape gets pretty smashed in there, but it stays stuck to the bar when I swap it in and out, and no more rattle.
You might want to look over post #11 and the link therein.... just a suggestion.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:46 AM   #25

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Cool Two trailers

I used to have a small utility trailer with a 1-7/8" ball and a boat trailer with a 2" ball. The inevitable happened and I towed the boat with the smaller ball until crossing a RR track when the hitch and ball departed ways. So that would be something to add to your checklist if you have the same situation.

When I first started towing Homelet, I would get clunking on cement roadways with the seams. That was fixed by torquing the ball to the draw bar properly.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:18 AM   #26

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Never had one pop off but years ago I got tired of changing the balls for different sizes. Changed all of them to 2", life's easier that way. I have loaned utility trails to a few friends with one condition. If your TV is wired different than mine change your wiring not mine. Never had a problem but have one side note. A long time buddy used one of my utility trailers from San Diego to mid California. Two weeks after he got back he reluctantly told me he had forgot to lock the ball down on the return trip. Glad he had enough TW cuz it never popped off. Lesson learned . Bet everybody has a story of.....happenings.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #27

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
years ago I got tired of changing the balls for different sizes. Changed all of them to 2", life's easier that way.
Ditto, I once swore I would make it my life's mission to replace every 1 7/8" hitch that came my way with a 2". So you know what happened, my Scamp came to me with a 1 7/8" hitch. I have a lot of other fish to fry before I will get around to cutting off a perfectly good hitch just to change sizes. Never say never. And I have had trailers jump off, becasue I did not really have them hooked up. I do the finger thing now out of habit, it is easy enough to feel the tougue under there snug up to the ball. Those clam-shell hitches are pretty cool too. I had one on a larger trailer I cut off in favor of a pintle. People were always trying to borrow the trailer, the pintle hitch solved that problem.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #28

California
I think that the O.P. has left the building......
As if he was ever here....?