Hitch popped off -- Replacement - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-30-2014, 09:38 AM   #43

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Dear War Eagle,

That was the most thorough explanation I could have hoped for, and I understood it completely. Thank you so much! I'm going to have my phone near me tomorrow when I leave for another review, but you've reassured me that I've not been a fusspot to be do exacting before I leave each time.

Thank you; I am ever so grateful.

Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 07-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #44

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Before the camping season starts I take the stinger out of the trailer hitch and take it to the trailer and clamp it into the trailers hitch and lock it down. I check it for looseness once it is coupled. Mine is adjustable with a lock nut below the coupler. Its much easier to check the coupler with just the weight of the stinger. When I bought my Scamp used I had to adjust the coupler to the ball I use on my truck. I have not had to adjust it since in the last 2 years but I haven't towed the Scamp very far. As for Donna's jack test after hitching up could save someone a whole lot of grief and will be added to my pre flight checks.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #45

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We had our hitch come off the ball while driving. The previous owner had modified the hitch causing the jaws to hang up.

After we hook up and lock the ball in place, I then try to jack the hitch off the ball by turning the jack a few turns as a check for a truly locked in place ball.

A little safety test.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:01 PM   #46

Name: John
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
The only hitch I like to use is a Collar-Lock style hitch. They won't pop off like some other style hitches.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #47

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
The only hitch I like to use is a Collar-Lock style hitch. They won't pop off like some other style hitches.
Not to reopen a pi$$ing contest, but what "style" of hitches are known to pop-off?

The only kind I know of that can pop-off are a) Improperly adjusted hitches, b) Improperly latched & locked hitches, c) excessively worn hitches and d) Mis-matched hitch/ball combinations.

Since this thread started with a claim of that being a problem, no one has made a case for any particular types being prone to popping off.

FWIW: For other than the above reasons, I don't think that there is any real history of any hitch types popping off the ball.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #48

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
13-1105688 Came with a Collar-Lock hitch. My neighbor was impressed.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:17 PM   #49

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
After we hook up and lock the ball in place, I then try to jack the hitch off the ball by turning the jack a few turns as a check for a truly locked in place ball.

A little safety test.
This is the SAME orientation I received from Escape Trailer Industries. Once hooked-up (5er) put the landing gear down and lift! ... the back of the truck should LIFT doesn't take much, but it's a double-check and easy to do.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #50

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Not to reopen a pi$$ing contest, but what "style" of hitches are known to pop-off?

The only kind I know of that can pop-off are a) Improperly adjusted hitches, b) Improperly latched & locked hitches, c) excessively worn hitches and d) Mis-matched hitch/ball combinations.

Since this thread started with a claim of that being a problem, no one has made a case for any particular types being prone to popping off.

FWIW: For other than the above reasons, I don't think that there is any real history of any hitch types popping off the ball.
Bob,
like you say operator error is the most likely cause of disconnects while under way, not the type of coupler.
The coupler on our Scamp had a bunch of play that caused major clunking, so I adjusted the play out with the adjuster bolt. That took the clunk out, but the ball would not come out when the coupler was unlatched. I had to back off the bolt several revolutions to free the ball, and then the clunk was intolerable again. Something was worn, bent, mis-designed, or ?.
I knew I could remove the pawl that grabs the ball and reshape it by welding and grinding, but didn't feel like going that far to fix a junky product.
I replaced it with a Bulldog side clamshell type which so far is very easy to use and has no clunk. Any type would have worked, but I'm like'n the Bulldog.
Russ
Old 08-02-2014, 01:44 PM   #51

California
There is no issue with selecting the type of hitch one prefers, but, as there is no real history out there, there is no reason to change from one type of hitch to another out of fear of one design being more prone to popping off during use more so than any other.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #52

New York
Registry
Very well said Bob. I appreciate your forthrightness. Still have a question wondering if either of you would answer as it never happened with my other trailer. This question is in an earlier post if mine on this thread. When I'm ready to pop ball out of hitch, lever is up etcetera, as I raise the coupler off the ball and as it just pops off it makes a clunk sound, like it has to "work" to finally come off the ball. Mind you, I feel no tension or stress in the equipment as I'm raising the coupler/tongue off, but just wondered if this is a normal phenomenon.

Wendy

Old 08-02-2014, 03:09 PM   #53

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Very well said Bob. I appreciate your forthrightness. Still have a question wondering if either of you would answer as it never happened with my other trailer. This question is in an earlier post if mine on this thread. When I'm ready to pop ball out of hitch, lever is up etcetera, as I raise the coupler off the ball and as it just pops off it makes a clunk sound, like it has to "work" to finally come off the ball. Mind you, I feel no tension or stress in the equipment as I'm raising the coupler/tongue off, but just wondered if this is a normal phenomenon.

Wendy

Wendy,
A light clunk would be normal, as the coupler is concaved at the front and will have to pass the ball. If your coupler goes back onto the ball without catching you are probably alright. If the adjuster was too tight you would hang up going back on.
Russ
Old 08-02-2014, 03:35 PM   #54

New York
Registry
Thank you Russ. That makes good sense. Much obliged!

Old 08-02-2014, 03:38 PM   #55

California
On most hitches there is a compression spring that helps hold the latching dog in place. I suspect yours is a little snug and holds the latch against the ball as it comes off. Just be sure you have lots of grease on the ball and also use a ball cover to keep dirt out when not connected.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #56

Name: John
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
What I like about the bulldog is there are no adjustment required. It's also easier to release if it's under tension as you just pull the collar back and it swings open. These hitches are quite common on horse trailers.