Hitch receiver extension - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #1

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Hitch receiver extension

I am pondering the impact of hitch extensions on tongue weight. It seems to me that a hitch extension bar should reduce the tongue weight at the hitch. By adding a hitch extension, the distance from the hitch to the axle becomes farther (actual distance depends on the length of the extension). Ideally one should balance their trailer by positioning the contents within the trailer.

Am I on track with my ponderings? Does anyone have any additional thoughts or wisdom to offer?

Draw-Tite 80305 2" Trailer Hitch Receiver Extension : Amazon.com : Automotive
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #2

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpets
I am pondering the impact of hitch extensions on tongue weight. It seems to me that a hitch extension bar should reduce the tongue weight at the hitch. By adding a hitch extension, the distance from the hitch to the axle becomes farther (actual distance depends on the length of the extension). Ideally one should balance their trailer by positioning the contents within the trailer.

Am I on track with my ponderings? Does anyone have any additional thoughts or wisdom to offer?

Draw-Tite 80305 2" Trailer Hitch Receiver Extension : Amazon.com : Automotive
Just the opposite. A hitch extension will increase leverage, thus increasing the effect of tongue weight on your car/truck's hitch, chassis, suspension, etc.

Now, extending the trailer's tongue will effectively reduce tongue weight, but there can be other issues there, too. I is best to reduce tongue weight by redistributing weight in the trailer... Assuming that you can't move the axle.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I just saw one at a yard sale and it had a factory sticker on it that said it reduced the hitch capacity by 1/3. Jesse is right. I would only use one with a very light weight trailer.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Just the opposite. A hitch extension will increase leverage, thus increasing the effect of tongue weight on your car/truck's hitch, chassis, suspension, etc.
...unless you have a weight-distributing hitch...
Old 10-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
actually it is closer to 50% according to ETrailer, either way they should be avoided.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #6

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I used a 12" extension for a year for a 13" Scamp I had.
I couldnt tell any difference.
It was around $20.00 at harbor freight.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:03 AM   #7

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
actually it is closer to 50% according to ETrailer, either way they should be avoided.
I think I found the article you were referring to:
Extension, Hitch Tongue Weight and a Motor Cycle Carrier with Loaded Truck Camper On a 2006 Dodge | etrailer.com

Princess Auto has a hitch extension bar in their current sales fliar. Its probably identical to the one mentioned fro Harbour Freight.

Derek
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Tailgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
I used a 12" extension for a year for a 13" Scamp I had.
I couldnt tell any difference.
It was around $20.00 at harbor freight.
I bought the same extension so I could open the tailgate of my truck and not hit the hitch when hooked up, (After I put a dent in the tail gate) I did modify the extension and shorten it up by 4 inches to lessen the leverage effect
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:22 AM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Since the dent is there, I just re-dent it every time I open the tail gate. Mine is about 3" too short, story of my life!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
New Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Since the dent is there, I just re-dent it every time I open the tail gate. Mine is about 3" too short, story of my life!!
Jim :Luckily the dent I made was in my old 1999 truck .When I bought my new 2011 truck I didn't want to repeat the same stupid dent so I purchased the extension.
I find it handy to be able to lower the tailgate and remove items from the truck bed with the trailer still attached . You are correct though that once the dent was there it really didn't matter
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Derek you didnt indicate why you feel you need an hitch extension. Is it due to not being able to open the rear of the tow right up or another reason? Perhaps if its the later if you indicate what the issue is someone will have an alternative to the extension to suggest.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #12

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have considered a hitch extension for a bike rack that is mounted to the hitch bar. Decided against it.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Drawbars come in different links. I bought a long drawbar, here's an extra/extra long drawbar: Ball Mount 2-3/4" Rise or 4" Drop - Extra-Extra-Long, 6,000 lbs Hidden Hitch Ball Mounts 80233
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #14

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
A trailer hitch extension will cause the vehicle combination to be less stable and a more likely loss of control when difficult road and or traffic conditions are encountered. It is in effect a lever that gives the trailer additional leverage over the tow vehicle. This is bad because the trailer is unguided EXCEPT for the tow vehicle. This leverage also increases the weight on the tow vehicle's rear axle because the ball on the end of it receives the same weight from the trailer coupler but the extension causes that weight to "lever down" more.

Lengthening the TRAILER'S tongue has the opposite effect on all those counts. A longer trailer tongue gives the Tow vehicle more leverage to control the trailer. The more a trailer's tongue is lengthened the safer and more stable it becomes. The drawback is on a very long tongue the trailer will track more to the inside during a sharp turn so you have to allow for that turning into driveways and maneuvering in closer quarters.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #15

Trailer:
If Draw-Tite called it a "Trailer Hitch Receiver Weakener and De-stabilizer", I'm guessing they might sell less of them.....
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote