Hitch requirements, Highlander Hybrid - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #15

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I am assuming to a Class II hitch which is what the hitch shop confirmed it to be based on its capacity.
Agreed.

Quote:
That being the case the majority of class II hitches I have seen are 1.25" receivers.
Agreed.

Quote:
The hitch shop did not say as you indicate that's its a 2" receiver only that its possible to put a WDH on it which MAY suggest its a 2" but not a given.
I would agree, if I knew of any 1.25" WD system. If anyone knows of one, please share.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:58 AM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Brian first off my point was simply that as the OP has a class Ii hitch it may as I said be hard to find receivers that will take the tongue weight of a Esacape 17 if that is what they are considering (note they have not said that) as it may be very close to maxing out many of the receivers that will fit a standard Class II hitch. Check the Real World weights most 17's are over 300lbs on the hitch some far more. Most of the receivers Im familiar with for a Class II hitch are rated at abt 300 to 350lbs. Simple as that. The OP has also not indicated they have a 2" receiver which I think you have agreed is not a common thing to find on a class ll hitch. Not impossible just not the norm. Yes the people who installed the hitch have indicated a WDH can be installed on the hitch they have but do you know for a fact it's a 2". As we all know sometimes we are given miss information & it only comes to light when we go through with what we had planned to do. If they in fact have a 2" receiver then that's great!

Is it really so wrong to give someone a heads up that they MAY have an issue & state why?

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Is it really so wrong to give someone a heads up that they MAY have an issue & state why?
Absolutely not!

My problem is saying "if you get a 17' you really should have a Class 3", instead of saying "if you get a 17' or larger you should check for adequate tongue weight capacity". The first sends people off to replace perfectly good hardware with hardware that may be no more capable; the second is useful guidance as Carol intended.

This would be a lot more productive if we knew just what hitch is on that Highlander... it is probably on a sticker right on the hitch. Certainly the receiver box size can be measured with a ruler or tape measure.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
LOL talk about splitting hairs!

What I said:,

You may fined your limited in what you can buy to put on that hitch & will need to watch carefully what receiver & ball combo specs are that you put on it to meet the Ecapes tongue weight.

Hoping tunnel vision is curable ;-)
Old 07-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #19

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
A class III receiver should fit on the HL hybrid; I have one on my non-hybrid HL and the attachment pattern should be the same on either one. That way the OP could easily use a WD hitch.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #20

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
A class III receiver should fit on the HL hybrid; I have one on my non-hybrid HL and the attachment pattern should be the same on either one. That way the OP could easily use a WD hitch.
Mike is your hitch factory installed? If so would you go that route again? Ask as the Highlander is high on my list of future purchase list.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:51 AM   #21

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
For my 2008 RAV4 the factory hitch cost more than $900 and was a class II.
I had a class III hitch installed at the Toyota dealership by an after-market installer that they arranged. He did the hitch installation, installed my Prodigy brake controller and used a #10 ground that I specified. Cost was $650.