Hitches made by Equalizer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #15
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Thumbs up

Great, we are on the same page...

cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #16
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
A problem with being sloppy about terminology is that it confuses people. For instance, there is no towing device properly called a "sway bar", but there are
  • bar-style friction sway control devices, and
  • weight distribution systems (with spring bars)
Calling both of them "sway bars" leads to this:
Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
The points being made for the WDHs with chains are that you can back up without disconnecting and you can make tight turns. I take it that that is not the case with some WDHs.
No, tight turns is not a problem with any WDH (weight distribution hitch) to my knowledge, regardless of whether or not the spring bars are connected to the frame with chains. It is a potential problem (most likely experienced in reverse, in which tighter tug/trailer angles can be reached than in forward motion) for bar-style friction sway controls. Perhaps some of the sway-control add-ons to WDHs (such as the Reese Dual Cam) restrict tight turns, but that would not be related to the chains or the weight distribution function.

1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #17
Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
The spring bars of the Equal-i-zer WHD are represented as providing resistance to sway by means of frictional contact with their respective retention brackets. Their primary function is to rigidify the tongue/tow vehicle connection in the vertical plane. A telescoping anti-sway "device" attached to side of tongue and a small ball on the head casting of the WHD is another animal altogether.

rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #18
Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
This thread is now bringing me to tears.
I think I need a box of Kleenex. *Reg.
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #19
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.

Good one, Glenn!

Here's a tip:

If you're on a (Windows) laptop with a numeric keypad:

ALT/0153 will yield: ™
ALT/0174 will yield:

Propane Facts vs. Fiction:. Click here
Tow Limit Calculator: Click here
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #20
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
The Equal-i-zer is made by Progress Mfg, not "Progressive Industries." Close, though! I have one, and used it in the past with a 23' Rockwood. The bars are forced up onto L shaped brackets attached to the trailer's frame. The friction between the bars and brackets, plus the friction in the head sockets the bars fit into at the front end, dampen sway and keep it from turning into uncontrolled oscillation.

The photo you showed us, Cathy, looks to me like a run of the mill, budget priced weight distribution hitch. It does not provide a significant amount of sway control. A friction bar or two could be added to the setup for sway control, but they aren't IMO as effective as the Equal-i-zer brand, the Reese Dual Cam, or the Anderson.

The Anderson No-Sway is quite new. Hasn't been out more than a year or so. Their website shows how it works much better than I could describe it. If there is a weakness to their system, it might be the way the chains when tightened draw the trailer coupler forward against the ball; a couple of people have observed damage to their coupler pawl after a while, and they spoke of plans to replace their coupler with another brand (like Bulldog) that grips the ball differently.

Cathy, if your rv dealer is telling you that this hitch is 'just like an Equal-i-zer" or "just as good" as one, remember the old adage on how to tell if a salesman is lying to you: are his lips moving?
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #21
Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Thanks, Mike.

rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #22
Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
Mike, I am looking at that Reese Dual Cam which you are putting in the same category as the Equil-i-zer. Thank you for the information!

Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote