Honda CR-V as Tow Vehicle - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
If you like desolation, you'll like Craters.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Is that you Norm? in the picture without your goatee? Nice change, also like your super duper antenna on your Scamp, bet you can pick up NASA on that thing.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Me!!!???

Jim that is me. I usually grow a beard for Alaska or Labrador, maybe in 2013.

The antenna's for low bridges. Actually I don't think we've gone under a bridge since we left Columbia Falls, MT. Rt. 93 seems to be bridge averse.

Mike,

Everyone knows I like isolation and desolation but maybe more important geology and science. It's it amazing that the 'Craters' are here because the Yellowstone hotspot used to be under this portion of the continent and the continent slid and Yellowstone is now some 240 miles to the east.

As interesting as our hikes around parts of Craters were today, the 'sparklely' little with their rainbow reflections still dance in my brain, hopefully forever.

Ginny and I were saying last night that we hope we live long enough after our travels are over to be able to remember these wonderful moments with a sparkle in our eyes.

Go to Crater, take your time, there are few places like it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #18

Florida
Honda CRV Perspective

Since we left Columbia Falls, MT, we've averaged 23.95 mpg including two long mountain passes. This has been our best long mileage run since we began. I'm not sure if it's the altitude, lack of traffic or the long down hill rolls.

Not bad for a gas powered 8 year old vehicle.

Don't skip Craters........

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #19
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Another Idaho pass, Willow Creek 7160 feet. Not as tough as Lost Trail Pass because it was a straight run with no hair pins to lose speed in like Lost Trail.

We're finding Route 93 to be marvelous, a reminder of mountainous terrain and well watered farm lands of Idaho, definitely well worth the trip. Truly wishing we had reserved more time for this run. Numerous BLM campgrounds and BLM places to park, ghosts towns and marvelous dirt roads. Unfortunately this year there are a number of forest fires smoking the horizon.

Rt. 93 has been a trafficless road for most of the drive.

Safe travels off to the Craters of the Moon today....
Hey Norm. Looks like you are having a great time.

You know, if you moved up to a V6 you could tow a larger trailer and climb a higher mountain.
Attached Thumbnails
buick copy IMG_1755.jpg  
Old 08-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #20

Florida
Airstream

We actually considered an Airstream before we bought the Scamp. Unfortunately they tend towards the heavier side, even the small ones.

It meant we'd have to replace our Honda with something bigger as you suggest, simply couldn't justify it. I suspect Can-AM RV could have set me up with a small VW diesel but the maintenance on the VW seems high from what I read and the whole set-up would have increased our costs over the scamp by a factor of 10. In this economy one must be a little conservative.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #21
MC1

Ontario
I here ya Norm. Seriously I think you have a real fine rig. Reliabilty with the Honda's a proven success story. As "green" thinkers we too want the best fuel economy available and have a 4cyl in our sights for the future. May have to down size to an egg or smaller Airstream. Will have to see what the future brings.

PS... Can Am has given us the thumbs as far as a 4 cyl TD Jetta diesel for our 23' but we are spoiled now with so much V6 power. I too question the reliability of the VW especially since we have had such good performance and reliability from the Nissan's.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #22

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Dang it Raz, your right.... here we go again. shame as it takes away for the good intent/information of the original poster.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:29 AM   #23

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Dang it Raz, your right.... here we go again. shame as it takes away for the good intent/information of the original poster.
Yeah

Who could have known?
Old 08-23-2012, 07:38 AM   #24
MC1

Ontario
This side topik thing has gone on for far too long. We all nead to be more perfekt than we alreaddy r.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #25

Florida
CRV Topic

This thread has contained mostly experiences of Honda CRV owners. There are many people who are interested in these experiences as witnessed by the number of 'hits' on the thread.

As we've traveled the country this year we have had nearly a 100 full tours of our Scamp 16. Every rig driver, no matter the size of their rig, is interested in the fact that we tow with a CRV.

I dare say most of them would have the same questions if we were towing with a Suburau, both are small, 4 cylinder SUVs. People are surprised because most North Americans have been convinced they need large rigs and large tow vehicles.

Most non-fiberglass RVers do not realize that they could be traveling in a small comfortable trailer and getting reasonable MPG figures.

There is universal surprise that we have a 4 cylinder and get our mpg figures, and equal surprise that we don't have a diesel.

I am certain that our favorite trailer manufacturers have not grasped small tow vehicles in terms of cost of ownership or RV comfort. As to RV comfort, there is tremendous room for product comfort and usability for the typical small trailer couple.

The fact that one disagrees with the use of a CRV does not distract from the fact that it does work. If one is concerned about the liability aspects, don't buy one. For us it does the job.

It is important that the reality of towing with a Honda be discussed as well as the fact that Honda does not rate the CRV for towing a Scamp 16 though they do in other parts of the world.

It is fair that Honda owners be able to describe their experiences, both good and bad.

Safe Travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #26

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
It is fair that Honda owners be able to describe their experiences, both good and bad..........
Good post Norm. I think that what gets lost in the noise is that we all have individual capabilities. Towing a trailer takes special knowledge and driving skills. One can mitigate the risk of messing up by using a larger tow vehicle. Literally, one size does not fit all.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #27

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
.... Literally, one size does not fit all.
You got that right! Wife has never bought a pair of shoes that would fit me for beans! Some of those boots would have looked really good on me too.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #28

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
You got that right! Wife has never bought a pair of shoes that would fit me for beans! Some of those boots would have looked really good on me too.
And the dresses, too! They make my butt look fat.