Honda CR-V as Tow Vehicle - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #41

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Travel Places

Jill,

Thanks for the kind words. We rarely write about our travels on the site though we've been writing about our travels for 11 years. One of the things we've learned is that the most interesting places are the ones we happen upon like Craters of the Moon. The second thing we learn is that you need to give every place a chance.

There's so much to every place. I've recently wrote that we've been to the small town of Port Orford, OR. Every visit we find something new. Often places that some life long residents have not been to or were even aware of in Port Orford.

If you have any specific trips in mind don't hesitate to post. People have been everywhere. If you have a specific thing you like or are looking for a few tips don't hesitate to send me a PM. Glad to answer.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #42

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13
Arizona
Communicate with the goal of creating understanding.
Respect, appreciate, celebrate the normal differences among us.
Believe in, and focus on, something bigger than oneself.
Strive to maintain a child's eye.
Oh, and ride a bicycle. It will help you accomplish all of the above.
morz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #43
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaJill View Post
Norm, I enjoy your posts about your travels. Since we just started camping, I'm putting together my wish list of places to see and routes to travel. I wish you had all posts in one place so they would be easier to find. Is there a way to search this site that would bring up all posts by one author?
Jill, Just click on Norm's username (honda03842) in the upper left corner of any of his posts. A drop-down menu will include an option to "Find more posts by honda03842".

Easy-peasy.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #44

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by morz4 View Post
Believe in, and focus on, something bigger than oneself.
Mike due to your newness to this list I suspect you have no idea as to how applicable that advise is in regards to the direction this thread has taken. Stick around and you will in the not to distant future realize just why it was the giggle of the day for me!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #45

Name: Hector
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Norm, it's amazing how different people can see the same thing but perceive it differently. I was at Craters in 1999 and thought it barren and somewhat depressing. Yet you found it fascinating.
I grew up in nearby Idaho Falls. I spent a few years in St. Louis MO, and had a hard time adjusting to all the trees blocking my view. From my house windows growing up I could see the Tetons in one direction, and the buttes that are halfway to craters of the moon out the other. If I cant see a mountain more than 15 miles away, I start to feel closed in.
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #46

Florida
Idaho

Hector,

Our trip was in a sense accidental because we only took Rt 93 thru Idaho because it was the most direct route to a wedding in NV.

We have completed our trip down 93 and have new interest and respect for Idaho and its people. We know we'll never drive thru Idaho again without even more extensive exploration; even now I feel a small emptiness for not staying longer.

Loving Idaho,

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #47

Trailer: Play Pac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
As most know I tow with a 4 cyl. and have done so for many years over a great many miles. So I am a believer!
That's great Carol. What do you tow with? I've towed my little Playpac all over my property with a small four wheeler and haven't had problems. I've done it when I had to move it out of the way for something or when I want to put it on another part of the property. Somewhere I have a photo of hubby towing it.

I understand the Playpac was designed so it could be towed with a small car. The old ads show it hooked up to a VW bug.
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Hector,

Our trip was in a sense accidental because we only took Rt 93 thru Idaho because it was the most direct route to a wedding in NV.

We have completed our trip down 93 and have new interest and respect for Idaho and its people. We know we'll never drive thru Idaho again without even more extensive exploration; even now I feel a small emptiness for not staying longer.

Loving Idaho,
How much longer do you vagabonds intend to stay out there? Wish I was following with my Playpac...
Old 08-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #49

Florida
Exploring Rogerson, ID

Camilla,

We've been on the road for some 285 days, truly an amazing time for 2 people in a Scamp 16. Probably another 40 days before we get home in early October.

The Scamp has behaved beautifully and performed as well as we hoped.

We have just crossed the border into NV and soon will be in the Ruby Mts. People we've met along the way have said the Rubys are beautiful. Can't wait.

Today we went out exploring and for a picnic lunch. We happened upon Salmon Creek Reservoir near Rogerson, ID. It has an associated BLM campground, $2.50 a night, overlooking the reservoir. The picture of the Reservoir looks dark because a rare dark cloud appeared bringing rain on our lunch.

Following are pictures of the 'drive-over-me dam' and the downstream canyon. Water certainly creates some beautiful canyons.

For those looking for the camp ground it is named Lud Drexler, simply turn west at the only gas station in Rogerson.
Attached Thumbnails
LD Reserwoir.jpg   LD Dam.jpg  

LDCANYon.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #50

Quote:
Today we went out exploring and for a picnic lunch. We happened upon Salmon Creek Reservoir near Rogerson, ID. It has an associated BLM campground, $2.50 a night, overlooking the reservoir. The picture of the Reservoir looks dark because a rare dark cloud appeared bringing rain on our lunch..
Wow, $2.50 a night! I think I'd stay a while. Thanks for the photos.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #51

Florida
Another Summit

The road from Jackpot to the HD Summit some 6000 feet plus was mostly uphill. Though a long uphill run, the most interesting aspect was the bridge over the Rt 93 for migrating deer.

For miles before and after the bridge there were miles of high fences that funneled the deer to the bridge, the first bridge we've seen like this. The second was another 10-20 miles down the road. The locals ccall these the 'bridge to nowhere'.

Our campground host also told us that there are a number of tunnels under the highway for the same purpose.

It looks like Neveda is summit loaded. We haven't towed the Scamp up into Lamoille Canyong but that looks like it will be our steepest run yet with 2 quick uphill runs, the first from Elko and the second upto the campground in the canyon.
Attached Thumbnails
Summit.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-28-2012, 06:02 AM   #52

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
These animal bridges are quite common in Canada, imagine seeing a herd of Moose standing over the road as you pass under!! The fences along the Trans-Canadian Hway are huge because of the larger wildlife they are supposed to protect. They even have trees and other natural plantings on the bridges to make them seem more natural to the animals.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #53

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
These animal bridges are quite common in Canada,.
As are the tunnels under the major highways. Have a lot of them in the interior of BC. Its easy to see in the winter months in areas where there is snow on the ground that they are well used. In cattle county they are also used often by local ranchers to avoid crossing highways when herding their cattle from high to low country.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #54

Florida
Trans Labrador Hwy

In Labrador they didn't see any tunnels under or bridges over the highway.

As we were driving along we saw a large pile of poop right in the middle of the highway. We went a little further and saw a second pile. I said to Ginny one more pile and we'll see a bear in the highway. Sure as shooting a huge black bear walking down the center of the highway.

Sort of a similar solution in Newfoundland. In the spring the moose seem to come down and pick out locations beside the roads where the spring grass is flourishing. You see so many moose you almost can't keep a count, of course Ginny trys.

The first time we entered Gros Morne, the entrance sign said 'Drive carefully, 256 moose accidents in the park this year' and it was only May.

Our rule is simply to not drive at night; all the big trucks that do drive at night have those 'cow catchers' on the front.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #55

Name: chad
Trailer: 1975 Scamp- Super Cozy Ambulatory Mega Party, 1980 Boler B1500 15'
Alaska
Registry
Quote:
The road from Jackpot to the HD Summit some 6000 feet plus was mostly uphill. Though a long uphill run, the most interesting aspect was the bridge over the Rt 93 for migrating deer.

For miles before and after the bridge there were miles of high fences that funneled the deer to the bridge, the first bridge we've seen like this. The second was another 10-20 miles down the road. The locals ccall these the 'bridge to nowhere'.

Our campground host also told us that there are a number of tunnels under the highway for the same purpose.

It looks like Neveda is summit loaded. We haven't towed the Scamp up into Lamoille Canyong but that looks like it will be our steepest run yet with 2 quick uphill runs, the first from Elko and the second upto the campground in the canyon.
Whad'ya know, ours are both bronze colored. Wanna trade my dented door for your non-dented door? j/k
This is last weekend in Hope, AK.
Attached Thumbnails
photo.JPG  
AKSCAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #56

Registry
Quote:
Sure as shooting a huge black bear walking down the center of the highway.

The first time we entered Gros Morne, the entrance sign said 'Drive carefully, 256 moose accidents in the park this year' and it was only May..
Someone in our Dept. of Highways decided it was a good idea to plant clover all along Hwy 99 Sea to Sky Highway between Squamish and Whistler in BC when it was upgraded a few years ago. Its now one of the big causes of accidents on that highway. Bears love clover. Tourist also love bears - not a good combination when people are traveling at 80 kph on a busy two lane highway and the guy in front of you spots a bear on the side of the road hits the breaks & stops to watch. In the spring its not uncommon to see many bears on the side of the road in the 45 min trip between Squamish and Whistler and not uncommon to find a big RV stopped right in the middle of the lane and a guy with a zoom lens on his camera hanging out the window. Gurrrrrrrrr Big overhead flashing signs telling people not to stop on the road way to watch the wild life but apparently a good number of people cant read! The funny part is that when you come across the first bear on that section of highway there will be dozens of cars parked haphazardly all over the road ... with the locals driving by yelling "are you people crazy its just a bear!" By the time you get to the 3rd bear sighting no one stops or slows - seems once you have seen one bear you have seen it all! ROFL