Honda CRV - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Honda CRV

We traded our Chrysler minivan because of a poor ride and worse seats for the CRV which has great seats and a poor ride. Is there anything that can be done to make the ride less harsh? Doesn't matter for me but my wife has a very bad back. Too bad we didn't try the CRV on bad roads but we didn't. Any ideas or is it a lost cause?
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hi Bob, I won't ask if you are planning to tow with this car as I don't wish to start that discussion , but perhaps addition weight be it cargo or trailer tongue might smooth out the ride? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
sometimes a new set of tires will help with ride.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Bob, dont have the answer but it you find one please post it as I have a family member who would love to hear about how to address the same issue.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Bob

I thought you had a huge ass truck?
GMC if I recall correctly?

I imagine that the CRV being an SUV is sprung to offer a stiffer ride than a Mini Van and that is what you are now discovering.

Maybe find smoother roads?

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Bob

I thought you had a huge ass truck?
GMC if I recall correctly?

I imagine that the CRV being an SUV is sprung to offer a stiffer ride than a Mini Van and that is what you are now discovering.

Maybe find smoother roads?

Ed
That & the shorter wheel base can contribute to the problem. While changing tires can make a difference, it can turn into an expensive trial & error process. I drove minivans for the last 12 years, and definitely noticed the change when I switched to a small SUV.

I have a 2010 RAV4 Sport that came with 235/55R 18 Bridgestone run flat tires, which are the harshest riding tires I've ever had on any vehicle, including trucks. I changed them last winter to Michelin Latitude X Ice snow tires (All 4) and the ride improved quite a bit. This Spring I took off the snows & replaced them with Goodyear Assurance Fuel Saver tires (5 this time so I'd have a spare since I was planning another long trip) and the ride was not as good as it was with the snow tires.

All in all, about the only thing I miss from the minivans was the much more comfortable ride. I don't think changes in tires or even suspension will get a small SUV back to the ride one gets from a minivan.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #7

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Ed. Our truck is a Chevy 1500 shortbox which we tow with I wouldn't call that big ass but it isn't small, either. Not going to tow with the CRV. We bought the CRV in the city, drove it several miles but every road/street was pretty smooth. Guess we'll have to live with the CRV until at least spring. Heading south very soon. BTW, my wife has osteoporosis and gets spontaneous vertebra fractures. That's why ride is so important to her.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #8

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I don't have a CRV, but I do have one of its cousins, A Kia Sportage.

For openers, I'll say that these are really "CUV"'s (Crossover utility vehicles) , not SUV's....Unlike an SUV, which is (or was) based on a truck platform, a CUV is a ground-up hybrid between a passenger car and a "truck", and one of the "truck" characteristics that they all share is a stiffer ride.

There can be some gain in the comfort department by tire selection, and by using the right air pressure for the load, but a CUV will never be as smooth a ride as a minivan, or any other passenger vehicle.

Nor would those of us that use them as tow/rough country vehicles want them to be redesigned for softer highway travel!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bob.

Our CRV has always used the original Bridgesones. We keep our Bridgestones well above Honda's suggested pressures because we tow with our CRV probably making our CRV even harsher.

We have never noticed that the Honda CRV's ride was stiff but neither of us have a bad back. Sorry to read about your wife's back problem.

Have you tried going to the Honda CRV link. It's a fairly active site and you may find some recommendations there.

Redirecting...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #10

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
My opinion on this class of car is that they "need" a fairly stiff rear suspension, in order to handle well, and to be stable. I have a family member with the Lexus crossover and another family member with a late model Ford Escape, and in my experience, both of those are too soft in the rear, making them feel a bit "lively" over rough pavement, especially when in a turn. I suspect that these cars were fitted with soft springs to improve the ride, and in the process, the handling became compromised. I think Honda chose slightly better handling as the tradeoff in ride quality. That seems to be a Honda philosophy ( I've owned numerous Honda cars, and my oldest daughter still buys them ).
So in other words, if you are going to try to soften up the CRV....expect there to be some other tradeoffs in the process.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:19 AM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Dropping tire pressure is the easiest thing that might help. You might have to look for different aftermarket suspension parts, if any exist.

My Highlander has a very carlike ride. But hook a trailer to it and it jiggles too much for my wife (kidney issues). Thus she will not let me take the trailer when we go to Michigan to visit relatives.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:40 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Dropping tire pressure is the easiest thing that might help. You might have to look for different aftermarket suspension parts, if any exist.

My Highlander has a very carlike ride. But hook a trailer to it and it jiggles too much for my wife (kidney issues). Thus she will not let me take the trailer when we go to Michigan to visit relatives.
I believe Ford tried that lower tire pressure thing with their explorer a few years ago. Resulted in a few fatalities, if I remember right.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #13

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg
We traded our Chrysler minivan because of a poor ride and worse seats for the CRV which has great seats and a poor ride. Is there anything that can be done to make the ride less harsh? Doesn't matter for me but my wife has a very bad back. Too bad we didn't try the CRV on bad roads but we didn't. Any ideas or is it a lost cause?
First my suggestion is a compromise of handling and ride.

I would suggest you do the opposite of "plus size" tire sizing. Get wheels an inch or two smaller diameter and install tyres with a taller sidewall to keep the overall diameter the same. Taller sidewall tyres give you more options for softer ride such as better touring or passenger tyres while keeping the load capacity.

Often entry model has 16" wheels while fully loaded model had 18" or 19" wheels. They look cool but are expensive and ride harsh. Also the older models have smaller wheels on their top model.

If you just lower the tyre pressure on a tyre with a stiff sidewall, such as low profile tyres have, you run the risk of blowout. You would have to lower the pressure so much to gain the benefit you want, that you risk tyre damage like the Ford Explorer/Firestone scandal.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #14

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: rgrugg... Nothing ='s ride like wheelbase. Longer wheelbase ='s more weight. More weight ='s poorer mileage. When everything's =, it's hard to get everything into one vehicle.
My wife doesn't like the seats in our new tow and a pad+pillow only goes so far. I like the seats so it's a compromise!!! Funny thing is she'll drive the truck before her station wagon tho.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Per tire pressure:

Many folks mistakenly run the pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire, which in the case of a CUV especially can result in a noticeable stiffer ride.

Pressures listed on the side of a tire are a maximum limit for that particular tire, which tire can be used on a wide variety of vehicles.

Best performance/smoothest ride is best achieved by running the pressure recommended by the vehicle mfr., usually listed on a placard inside the driver's door.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #16

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Again, agreed with Francesca in 99% of cases. There are a few exceptions of heavy loads, or non factory size/weight range tires, but under normal use, follow the door.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote