Honda Odyssey - Page 11 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #141

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I have 150K on my current Odyssey and hope to keep it quite a bit longer but for me it has been awesome. It did kill me at 90K miles (well I waited until 110) but new plugs,water pump and timing chain was 2K. That included replacing a cracked engine block mount. New chain and pump every 90K on mine. The plugs were $450 alone. Guess thats a small price to pay to keep it running and safe. I will be getting another when this one craps out unless someone wills me a million $$$

If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:46 AM   #142

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
For the Record

Just to get the Odyssey statements all in one place, we are towing with a 7% tongue weight, the same as we towed with on our CRV. We intentionally kept the tongue weight low for the CRV. At this time we see no reason to increase the tongue weight for the Odyssey, so far it's towed beautifully.

Mike, The older CRV's timing belt required replacement around 100,000 miles however since at least the 2004 model, the fabric timing belt is no longer used. I wish that were the case on the 2014 Odyssey.

I recall having the CRV's spark plugs replaced at 150,000 miles at the Honda dealership, I don't remember too stiff a price.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #143

Florida
Additional Screens.
I've permanently mounted the Scamp' camera display to the left of the steering wheel and the Scamp' tire pressure sensor monitor on Ginny's side of the center console.

The trailer's tire sensors are very different from what's in most vehicles in that they continously report absolute temperature and pressure. I like this because you can see pressure dropping or temperature rising before you reach a true failure point.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
1411579737595.jpg   1411579755634.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #144

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
where did you get the Tire Sensors? Brand etc. I mounted my monitor in the middle front of the dash. 5 inch monitor.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #145

Florida
I have used Tyre Dog for about 4 years. It is a 4 tire system. It was the least expensive I could find at the time. Our 2004 Honda CRV did not have tire sensors so I mounted two sensors on the rear of the CRV and two on the Trailer.

These sensors screw onto the end of the tire's valve stem.

Honestly can't say if this is the most cost effective system these days since I've stopped looking for this class of item. I love the fact that it reports temperature and pressure.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #146

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Those spaces under the seat where you added storage does Honda put heating ducts there? If so that may limit what you put in those bins.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:48 PM   #147

Florida
Under Seat Heating Ducts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Those spaces under the seat where you added storage does Honda put heating ducts there? If so that may limit what you put in those bins.
Thanks for the thought Steve.

I hadn't thought about it but just went to look. There are no floor ducts under any of the seat rows. Each of the back rows has a head height, controllable duct for heated/cooled air on each end of each seat row. Air flow level is controlled on the front console, direction and volume controlled at the seat. Air for the front passengers comes from the front console.

I have the boxes loaded with stuff.

Ginny's front box is for trip road maps. She selects them for the trip along with other information that may be of interest. The one behind her seat contains snacks like pecans, sunflower seeds, twizzlers and dark chocolate covered raisins

My front box contains our collection of CDs (probably should be consolidated into a tighter format).

The driver's side 2nd row seat has miscellaneous tools, screw drivers, tie wraps, adjustable wrench, metric wrench set, tywraps and lock jaw pliers.

The passenger's 2nd row seat contains the jump starter and charger, tire pressure gauge, and temperature gauge.

The Odyssey provides 6 other storage locations. The big one where the third row seats can be stored that we use for boxed storage (3), hydraulic jack, hiking sticks and small compressor. Two smaller compartments are in a side wall, one with a 12 volt outlet. One contains a small two person blanket and the other a long TV cord and flashlight.

There are also three storage compartments in the front console.

Between rows one and two there is a floor compartment for our spare tire and a tire repair plug kit.

Between the two second row seats We have a plastic box that contain all our state and local maps, camping books and eastern and western mountain directories, This box is held in place by a large bungee cord. Between the Bungee cord and box is our Rand McNally and our latge print Atlas of the USA.

Thanks for the thought it's made me think about out set up.

(There are also 6 door storage areas and one seat back, most already loaded for travel. Only 30 days to go and 90% of my clothes are in the Trailer; Ginny's at the 10% level for clothes storage.)

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-02-2014, 06:18 AM   #148

Florida
We have about 3,000 miles on the Odyssey now and I will say Ginny made a good choice. We had another long trip in the Odyssey and again averaged well over 30 mpg.

We also both recognize that the Odyssey corners very well, better than our smaller 2004 Honda CRV. Of course the 2014 Odyssey may contain newer and better suspension technology, regardless we both notice that it corners with a flatter stance.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-02-2014, 06:38 AM   #149
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Norm, On other RV forums these Honda, Toyota, and the later Chrysler Vans are well liked by folks using them as grocery getter's, general utility, touring vehicles, or trailer haulers. I have been following a number of them that are working great towing substantial travel trailers.

They have come a long way from the original 96HP, 4 cyl Chrysler magic wagons.

PS... As a comparison our 05 Sienna has averaged 25MPG since we bought it 3 months ago with city/highway combined. (Imp gals).
Old 10-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #150

Florida
Little Things

This is our first new car in 10 years and we are being wowed by all the electronic magic. I guess it would be like trading in a 10 year old cell phone.

The other day I was sitting in the car waiting for Ginny. When she arrived I started the car and nothing happened. I looked at the gauges and found it was already running. Unlike old cars, turning the key will not engage the starter if the car is running.

Another little feature that's handy is the power seats. Ginny sits with the seat closer. When I get in I need to move the seat back. Nicely, the seat controls without powering the car. I suspect the rest of you are use to these features but we're not and loving it.

The most impressive thing is the mileage. I discovered a screen today that shows you your mileage for individual trips. Today I made two 20 mile trips to the store, no limited access roads and averaged 29-30 mpg. This is truly amazing. Ginny did make a good choice with this vehicle.

I bought it to the garage for an oil change before we leave this month. I asked about the use of a woven timing belt instead of the chain timing belt in the CRV. The service manager said the primary reason was that it is much quieter than a chain.

Lastly our smart phones have Pandora, something we've never used until we bought this car. I think our radio station listening will be dramatically reduced. Though we don't have the ad free version, the ads are rare.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-28-2014, 02:10 PM   #151

Florida
We have started our trip South, driving 330 miles. Our speed varied between 55 and 64 mph. We averaged 18.2 mpg calculated, mostly interstate, for 330 miles.

We've driven another 150 miles but haven't filled up but the mpg gauge reads 19.3 mpg for the last segment.

The Odyssey is 'living room comfortable'. We love traveling in it.
We also increased our rear tire pressure to 36 psi, mainly because I feel stiffer sidewalls are beneficial.

Another advantage over our CRV Is the increased range, over 400 miles when towing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-28-2014, 02:13 PM   #152

Florida
Forgot the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
1414527187176.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #153
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Looks good Norm but I think our "white" Sienna would look even better in front of your Scamp!!
Old 10-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #154

Florida
We're not very color conscious when it comes to buying vehicles, though our first car was a white 1965 Mustang.

We were interested in a light colored car since as we age we'll be spending more time in Florida.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16