Honda Odyssey - Page 12 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-28-2014, 04:52 PM   #155
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream owner
Ontario
Norm.... Your silver Oddy would go nice with our Airstream.

Our Sienna would go with your Scamp.

We should trade vehicles!...........................even trade????

PS.. Maybe it would not be a fair trade considering our Sienna is a high mileage, 11 year old van. LOL.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:00 PM   #156

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
We are a Honda family. My sister has an '09 Odyssey V6. My mom has a '14 4 cylinder CRV. I have a '14 Accord V6 Touring. It consistently gets 38-40 mpg on the highway.

There are a couple folks on other forums arguing you can set up an Odyssey to tow a 28' or larger trailer. I think that is really crazy. But it's an excellent tug for a Casita, Scamp, etc. class of camper.

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - http://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #157
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
There are a couple folks on other forums arguing you can set up an Odyssey to tow a 28' or larger trailer. I think that is really crazy.
For sure Ron. I have read about many of them too.

But, if a Dodge magic wagon can tow them maybe the Honda's can too.

Towable with my minivan?
Old 10-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #158

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ron,

MC1 can better answer this than I. When we were considering the Odyssey he sent me a bunch of pictures of people and their Airstreams being towed by Odysseys, Airstreams about twice the size of my Scamp 16.

I will say it easily tows our Scamp. On the flat it frequently drops into the 4 cylinder mode and down hill it's typically in the 3 cylinder mode. It's all pretty amazing.

On the highway not towing it gets 36 mpg every time we've driven it for long trips. Impressive for a vehicle with it's frontal area.

Something that Ginny and I are impressed with is how well it corners, probably a result of being on the Accord base. We're on our 6th or 7th Honda, none have gone less than 225,000 miles, none have ever had a drive line failure.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #159

Florida
Last Mileage report

This will probably be my last mileage report, at least calculated mileage report.

Our latest run of over 200 miles we averaged 19.2 miles per gallon. This was the calculated number. As usual the calculated number was slightly higher than the displayed number of 18.9 mpg. It seems redundant to calculate when the gauge is pretty accurate.

I would sy based upon the distance we've traveled it's likely that we'll average between 18 and 19 mpg, not bad for such a large gas powered tow vehicle. By the way we are using regular gas.

This is the fourth time we've backed our Scamp in with the Odyssey. Though we have now parked various trailers about 2,000 times, it seems a lot easier with the Odyssey. I assume it's because of the automatic transmission but it also may be the longer wheel base.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #160

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Boy, the Odyssey sure has come a long way.
Attached Thumbnails
Clipboard01.jpg  
Old 10-29-2014, 04:20 PM   #161

Florida
Dave, I wouldn't mind having one. It's narrow enough to fit in the 'big' Odyssey.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-30-2014, 10:39 AM   #162

Florida
20.5 mpg for 160 mile trip today thru flat NC, on cruise at 55 mph, speed limit, route 17, flat, no wind.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #163

Name: Rachel
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Wisconsin
This is my first day on this site. My husband and I are retiring in the spring, selling the house, and taking off! We're planning on buying a 16-foot Scamp and are trying to decide which tow vehicle to get. So far we've narrowed it down to a Honda Odyssey or a Subaru Outback. Any advice on how to choose? Thanks!
Old 10-30-2014, 06:49 PM   #164
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Honda Odyssey

Honda Odyssey has more towing capacity than the Subaru. Depending on engine, Subaru capacity varies as does weight of Scamp 16, depending on whether it is standard or deluxe. Then there is the weight of stuff you put in trailer. My suggestion is to take a close look at the numbers and make a decision based on that. I personally wouldn't want to be "pushing" the towing limits of the tow vehicle and would want as much margin as possible. However, AWD of Subaru beneficial when white stuff is on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #165
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel P View Post
This is my first day on this site. My husband and I are retiring in the spring, selling the house, and taking off! We're planning on buying a 16-foot Scamp and are trying to decide which tow vehicle to get. So far we've narrowed it down to a Honda Odyssey or a Subaru Outback. Any advice on how to choose? Thanks!
If out on the road a lot the larger size of the Oddy would be nice. Fuel usage of the two vehicles would be similar. If you ever decide to get a larger trailer the Oddy is the vehicle of choice. The Sub's are nice but the Oddy has many advantages.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #166

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
For full timing, get the larger vehicle and the vehicle with more towing capability (van)! The only thing better about the Subaru would be the all wheel drive; the Ody wins the contest on all other counts. Realize that the Subaru's hitch weight limit is only 200 lb, so you'll always have to be careful with how you load the Scamp to keep it light up front. With the van, 350 lb is the hitch limit IIRC, so you can relax and forget about it.
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:09 AM   #167

Florida
We've now have had a small tow vehicle, a 4 cylinder Honda CRV and now the 6 cylinder Honda Odyssey.

We travel 7 months a year and put on a lot of miles. When we traded in the CRV we had 225,000 miles on it and had towed everywhere. It was limited to 220 lbs on the tongue. It was never an issue for us and we have a loaded Scamp. You can see it under Preparing a 1991 Scamp in Modifications.

We purchased the Odyssey because Honda no longer made a manual transmission version. The Odyssey had a similar miles per gallon rating to the CRV. So far in limited driving the Odyssey gets better mileage not towing (36 on highways) and similar mileage towing (18-20 towing). Of course we only have 5,000 miles on the Odyssey.

The Odyssey is more comfortable, more spacious, quieter, easier to back up. Though it has 6 cylinders, it reduces the number to 4 or 3 depending on need. The reason for its great mileage. There is no sensation when it happens. My one concern is the potential effect on reliability. That said we've owned 7 Hondas with high mileage (all bought new) and they've never required a drive line repair.

The advantage of the CRV was higher clearance, limited 4 wheel drive, lower price. (though since they are so reliable and last a long time price versus time has made them a good deal).

In a few years we should be more definitive over the two but right now I would say Ginny made a good choice with the Odyssey. It is really huge, able to carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood with the door closed.

The rear door works great with the Odyssey, able to open even with the rock shield up.

By the way we bought the base model.

I hope I got it all. Please don't hesitate to ask anything.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-31-2014, 06:04 AM   #168

Name: Rachel
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Wisconsin
Thanks to everyone for all the thoughtful advice. We currently have a Honda Fit which has been a perfect car for our city driving. Before the Honda Fit we drove a Prius, so we are used to really good gas mileage and small cars. (And my husband relies on his bicycle to get everywhere until the snow starts.) And although my husband used to drive a city bus in Seattle, neither of us has towed anything. So we're feeling a bit overwhelmed with the decision of which big vehicle to buy. (Terms like "tongue weight" are brand new to us :-) But it sounds like the Odyssey is the way to go! I hope you mean it, Norm & Ginny, when you say "Don't hesitate to ask anything." Because we will have lots of questions coming up!! Thanks again everyone!