Honda Odyssey - Page 13 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-31-2014, 06:08 AM   #169

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I would consider the style of camping - where you are planning to go - to help you decide which tug to buy. If your plans include BLM land, forest service roads, etc., then the Subi with 4 wheel drive might be a better choice. If you are talking highways and commercial campgrounds, etc., then the Honda is a slam-dunk.

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - http://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:21 AM   #170

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have completed a 186 mile run and have an indicated 20.1 mpg again on rt 17. Rt. 17 has a lot of small towns and stop lights but little traffic. Very good mileage.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:34 PM   #171

Florida
Gas is $2.69 in South Carolina.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-31-2014, 11:24 PM   #172

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Honda Odyssey

Sadly, my first instinct is to say "isn't that cheap?!" I guess it's all relative, but was it that long ago that it was $.85?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - http://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:57 AM   #173

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
Sadly, my first instinct is to say "isn't that cheap?!" I guess it's all relative, but was it that long ago that it was $.85?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have to agree with you but I go back a bit farther...30 cents and with gas wars it went to 22 cents. Oh those were the days. Funny story, when I got back from overseas military service gas was 55 cents. My Mom told me not to drive to much. Of course I didn't listen, I was paying over 3 bucks a gallon over there, 55 cents was give a away price here.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:46 AM   #174
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
I have to agree with you but I go back a bit farther...30 cents and with gas wars it went to 22 cents. Oh those were the days. Funny story, when I got back from overseas military service gas was 55 cents. My Mom told me not to drive to much. Of course I didn't listen, I was paying over 3 bucks a gallon over there, 55 cents was give a away price here.

As I recall, when gas was in the 30 cents a gallon price range the minimum wage was less than a buck!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #175

Florida
23.6mpg
We just did a 242 mile run, mostly interstate thru part of SC and most of GA,. We drove a little faster than normal and got better mileage. It displayed 21 mpg but calculated out to 23.6 mpg. Used 10.25 gallons.

Drove further than normal because we have a closing in FL.

Truly amazing for a V-6.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #176

Florida
Final Tally

We are at our FL destination. We drove 1,913 miles, purchased 100.1 gallons of gas and averaged 19.1 mpg. We are very pleased with that for a first trip. We expect it will improve some with time.

We learned that with the automatic we get better mileage on the Interestate than we do on non-Interstate roads like coastal route 17 where the mileage tended to be less, about 0.5 mpg lower.

We found that as we progressed southward the mileage improved, maybe we're figuring the car out better. It seemed to like to run at 62 mph best.

On the whole we were pleased with 19 mpg burning regular gas and happy with prices as low as $2.69/gallon. Truly thankful to all the drillers in ND.

This year we are staying put in FL. Our next big trip will be home and than hopefully another trek to NL.

We had a marvelous time in Charleston, SC at my 50th college reunion. If you haven't been to Charleston it is one of the best cities in the county. Truly a fine walk about city. Much of the kudos goes to a classmate, Joe Riley, who has been mayor for almost 40 years, winning numerous awards for transforming the city without destroying it's character.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #177

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
We are looking forward to your next Newfoundland installment.
Good mpgs and good that you made it safely to FL. Gas prices are at least improved.

I am trying to keep you two in mind when considering another trailer. We already have a 19' and it certainly seems impossible to us to get anything less than what we have. Plus, other trailers are tempting that have more this or that, and when does the two-footitis kind of thing stop. And do we need to stop it. The next one will be the last.... How many have said that, I wonder.

By the way, we get about 17 pulling our 19', better than most partly because it is a 4Runner and partly because we drive more slowly than many. We also use ECO.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:42 PM   #178

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Cathi... Our 13' Boler was our first trailer.
Our 5.0 Escape was our last trailer.
Our 5.0TA Escape was...well...
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 11-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #179

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Alf, I hope you can get many more. And I am quite positive they will be Escapes! And save a place for us at one of those Niagara deals. We will get there some time.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:22 AM   #180

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Little Guy Teardrop
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Cathi... Our 13' Boler was our first trailer.
Our 5.0 Escape was our last trailer.
Our 5.0TA Escape was...well...
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Yes the 5.0 was the last one, the 5.0TA is the current one...

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 11-11-2014, 06:47 AM   #181

Florida
Newfoundland and a New Trailer

Cathi,

My view of trailers is simple. It really doesn't matter what you have if you're using it to travel. The travel is more important than the trailer.

I enjoy making a trailer ours, I suppose some form of nest building but it's the travel that it's all about.

Last year we met a couple from NS, the wife had originally been from NL. Though they have been married for a long time, they had never been to NL, their next door province.

It turns out the 'only 6 months out of province rule' is a problem. She told me they are reluctant to visit their daughter in NB because they typically use up their 6 months traveling.

I just received an email from them, they spent 6 weeks in NL this summer, drove 7,0000 km and said NL was better than Hawaii. They plan to return because 6 weeks wasn't nearly enough.

We hope to return to NL next spring and will be paying more attention to writing about it. We just returned from my college reunion and I used to include college friends on the distribution list and heard how they missed 'On the Road'. There are obviously some who travel vicariously, I guess that's good, however the real thing is better.

Wishing you well in your trailers and travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #182

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0
Manitoba
Cathi

To clarify what Norm said about six months out of province, in case you were not aware, we Canucks may have free health insurance but most provinces limit that we stay in our own province for six months of the year. We can and do purchase out of province/country insurance but that can get quite expensive especially as one gets older. We know a few people who used to go south in the winter but no longer do so because of the cost of insurance.

Norm

Also looking forward to your next NL travel news. Glad to hear you made it to FL with your great new van.

AdrIan

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

« Wind deflectors? | - »