Old 11-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #183

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Cathi

To clarify what Norm said about six months out of province, in case you were not aware, we Canucks may have free health insurance but most provinces limit that we stay in our own province for six months of the year. We can and do purchase out of province/country insurance but that can get quite expensive especially as one gets older. We know a few people who used to go south in the winter but no longer do so because of the cost of insurance.
As you say in most provinces you have an issue with retaining your provincial medical coverage should you leave the country for more than six months. Some provinces also allow people to retain their provincial coverage for up to 12 months if the party remains within Canada though. Most provinces also have a clauses that does allows us to leave the country or province for more than 6 months without losing coverage. For example in BC we can apply to retain medical coverage for up to 24 months of absence from the province every five years.

Edit to add: There is BTW no FREE heath care in Canada. Here in BC and other provinces I am aware of most of us do indeed have to pay a monthly medical insurance fee. Granted it is nothing of the size that our friends in the US pay but I suspect we more than make up for it in higher taxes for everything. :-)

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:24 PM   #184

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0
Manitoba
Right Carol of course FREE depends on your interpretation, we all pay in different ways. Having moved from ON last year we had to add a premium when we did our income tax, onto the provincial portion. Here we just pay a higher percent of provincial income tax than in ON.

Back to Norm's topic though, certainly glad he and Ginny are enjoying the van for it's spaciousness, its fuel economy, and ease of pulling the Scamp. Had we not bought a fifth wheel a Honda van would have been one of our towing choices. It would have handled the 17b we originally considered well.

Adrian

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Old 11-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #185

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Cathi,

My view of trailers is simple. It really doesn't matter what you have if you're using it to travel. The travel is more important than the trailer.

I enjoy making a trailer ours, I suppose some form of nest building but it's the travel that it's all about.

You are right, of course. I have always been a big traveler because it is so educational among other things. Nothing like seeing the landscape or how the other half lives. Much of my travel was overseas for many years, not that I did not see a great deal of the U.S. Or some of Canada and Mexico.

Now with the trailer, still want to go to a few other countries but am concentrating on this continent. Nova Scotia has always been on my list and Newfoundland sounds as good or better. One gets his ideas of where to visit from hearing from others. The camping community is a whole other world. Vicarious is only vicarious for as long as that lasts. Some will actually get up and go.

I sometimes see caravan-type situations. There are trailer groups of people with the same brand who caravan. That sounds like a neat idea. You could "pick up" a few folks on the way to NL, not limited to eggs. Perhaps you have done that.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:12 AM   #186

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Caravans

I sometimes see caravan-type situations. There are trailer groups of people with the same brand who caravan. That sounds like a neat idea. You could "pick up" a few folks on the way to NL, not limited to eggs. Perhaps you have done that.[/QUOTE]

Cathi,
Like you I find travel educational and on multiple levels. First there are new places and new ways, all stimulating and educational. ONe of the reasons I like NL is it's different and provides more stimulation.

Second, I love the time and distraction freedom. I used to read Buckminster Fuller's books. It was part of the reason we lived in a Geodesic Dome. Bucky really didn't work much giving him time and freedom to think. Life is often so burdensome that you just don't get much time for free thinking. RVing provides that time.

In my business life I was fortunate enough to travel a lot, however it's not the same kind of travel we do now. I did see many marvelous places. We originally thought we's see everything in North America in 3 years, now we know we are not going to live long enough to accomplish that.

I've probably said before that Oregon is one of our favorite states. We've been to Port Orford, OR seven times and yet have not exhausted that community of 1100 people.

Yesterday we sat with two RV couples discussing their travels, they are both in their 3rd road year. Last year they saw places that we have not, making us anxious to get back out there.

We have only had one group travel experience, traveling with our son and his wife to PEI for a Fiberglass rally. We had a good time. In general we're not very scheduled in our travels and groups have schedules. Part of our reason for not needing or wanting schedules is that we are happy to sit for a day or days just relaxing, reading thinking or .....

We do love people, particularly my very friendly wife who has marvelous listening skills and always shows interest and concern for others. I've been watching her for decades and trying to learn her skills.

I founded a soup kitchen and learned that few were really hungry, most were lonely looking for companionship. (I hope this doesn't come off wrong.) I like to be alone with myself (and Ginny). It allows us to travel as we please. Once you do a group travel you need to give yourself in part or whole to a group. Now we do rallies and love spending time with others and we try to be as friendly and open as possible but we really do love it when it's just the two of us traveling, as I've said, it's like summertime with your best friend wandering the woods seeking adventure. Ginny is a trooper and enjoys time with her little boy husband.

That said if someone wanted to join us at the NL Tales, Trails and Tunes music festival or go to Fogo or the Change Islands with us. Great.

I know it was a lot of wandering and maybe not consistent. Please know we love RV people and think they are among the best and most interesting people and would do most anything to help another camper.

Carthi, let me know if this was a waste.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:26 AM   #187

Florida
Cathi,

I asked Ginny why she thought we don't usually look to caravan. She said, we travel without a schedule and that might be difficult for others.

Safe travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-12-2014, 09:21 AM   #188

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
To me, when we travel, we are explorers. Never know where, or when we will stop and smell the roses. Socializing, with other then my traveling companions, is for the destination, mostly.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #189

Florida
Destination people

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
To me, when we travel, we are explorers. Never know where, or when we will stop and smell the roses. Socializing, with other then my traveling companions, is for the destination, mostly.
David, thank you for the destination people thought, it pleasant refreshes me.

It reminds me of the Roy, a marvelous Fogo author we met while hiking out to the see the ice bergs, the gentleman, an 85 year old Fogo Island lifer, we met who told us the best spot to see the glaciers, the 92 year old woman who had just climbed Brimstone Head and suggested we do the same, the man on the ferry who told us about St Brendan's Island, a future destination, the 5 site campground owner on the Change Islands who spent the time to show us the Bully boat he's building, and the same campground owner spent time showing us his little museum and playing the accordion and Buelah, one of the "Change Island Ladies" who baked us a loaf of bread. Or Scouter Dave, a very interesting man and Newfoundlander, a site member, who has opened our eyes to Trails, Tales and Tunes and of course the ever friendly people who attend Tales, Trails and Tunes. The couple who ran the Lion's Club campground at Brimstone head that steered us about the island and invited us a musical event for a small cruise ship and gave us some Partridge berry jam.

All these marvelous people and more have been guidelights for our travels. It is all so marvelous. (I'm sure I forgot some but people can be wonderful.)

Here's a little tip, though the border crossing guards frown on it and we don't declare it, we carry a case of something to share with our many (still unknown) new friends. Last year we carried a case of orange blossom honey.

There is much wonder everywhere.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Cathi,
Like you I find travel educational and on multiple levels. First there are new places and new ways, all stimulating and educational. ONe of the reasons I like NL is it's different and provides more stimulation.

Second, I love the time and distraction freedom. I used to read Buckminster Fuller's books. It was part of the reason we lived in a Geodesic Dome. Bucky really didn't work much giving him time and freedom to think. Life is often so burdensome that you just don't get much time for free thinking. RVing provides that time.

In my business life I was fortunate enough to travel a lot, however it's not the same kind of travel we do now. I did see many marvelous places. We originally thought we's see everything in North America in 3 years, now we know we are not going to live long enough to accomplish that.

I've probably said before that Oregon is one of our favorite states. We've been to Port Orford, OR seven times and yet have not exhausted that community of 1100 people.

Yesterday we sat with two RV couples discussing their travels, they are both in their 3rd road year. Last year they saw places that we have not, making us anxious to get back out there.

We have only had one group travel experience, traveling with our son and his wife to PEI for a Fiberglass rally. We had a good time. In general we're not very scheduled in our travels and groups have schedules. Part of our reason for not needing or wanting schedules is that we are happy to sit for a day or days just relaxing, reading thinking or .....

We do love people, particularly my very friendly wife who has marvelous listening skills and always shows interest and concern for others. I've been watching her for decades and trying to learn her skills.

I founded a soup kitchen and learned that few were really hungry, most were lonely looking for companionship. (I hope this doesn't come off wrong.) I like to be alone with myself (and Ginny). It allows us to travel as we please. Once you do a group travel you need to give yourself in part or whole to a group. Now we do rallies and love spending time with others and we try to be as friendly and open as possible but we really do love it when it's just the two of us traveling, as I've said, it's like summertime with your best friend wandering the woods seeking adventure. Ginny is a trooper and enjoys time with her little boy husband.

That said if someone wanted to join us at the NL Tales, Trails and Tunes music festival or go to Fogo or the Change Islands with us. Great.

I know it was a lot of wandering and maybe not consistent. Please know we love RV people and think they are among the best and most interesting people and would do most anything to help another camper.

Carthi, let me know if this was a waste.[/QUOTE]

What you write is not a waste, Norm, on the contrary, always thoughtful. I can easily understand the people at the destination. Was just wondering if that caravan thing happened to have occurred with you, considering your following.

I have been north and south of Port Orford but do not think I have been there so I will put it on my list. Yes, we unfortunately discover that it is not possible to see nearly all that we want to see and can only make a vain attempt. When I look back at photos I have to remind me, I am pleased with where I have been. What I know is that so much more lies waiting and I want to do at least some of it.

Newfoundland now seems like the place to go! There was a Canadian I knew who had similar good comments on NL. My main interest in recent years has been the Southwest and I continue to go there. We have made a number of trips but did not have the trailer for most. It is too cold in winter for our main destinations but have had the trailer there in summer. The Indian influence as well as Hispanic is of interest.

NL sounds so inviting and your stories are most appreciated. It would be a real contrast in many ways, I am sure, many good ways.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #191

Florida
Cathi,

We are a fans of the southwest as well. We absolutely love the Chiricahua Mts, particularly the west side. The campground was made for fiberglass RVs and the hikes are wonderful, literally 'full of wonder'.

If you go to the east side (we always do both sides) stay at Rusty's RV ranch, a friendly place with huge sites. It's passport and there are always a number of people there with big telescopes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-12-2014, 04:48 PM   #192

I have been through that area to Benson and will have to see the Chiricahuas next time and the Escapee park which I think I passed right by, but did not have a trailer. I do need to find some more Passport places as we just break even pretty much.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:55 PM   #193

Florida
We spent New years in Benson last year at the Escape Park., $15 a night, less by the month. They do up the winter holidays, marvelous meals, 15 piece band last year, Christmas Carolers going from rig to rig. We stayed in a passport Park near Wilcox, waffles every morning.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #194

I am supposing you have been to Amerind in between Wilcox and Benson.

In Tucson, I attended the most fantastic Christmas singing by several choirs at a big downtown church. I can't find it now and wonder if they still have it.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:27 PM   #195

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2013 Escape 17B
Vancouver Island
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2116.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	369.8 KB
ID:	78550On fuel economy, our Honda Ridgeline with full load in box averages 19 litres per 100 km at 90 kph. Or, approx. 20 mpg at 55 mph. Pulling our 17B Escape. That was over a 30 day time period in September over 6000 km. It does not have the 3 cylinder cutout that the Odyssey has which would be nice, but we find in the west we are always in mountains so a lot of up (and down). I have been wondering whether water line freezing is ever a problem when camping in the desert in winter?
Old 11-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #196

Florida
We have never had the water line freeze in any of our trailers. When we're in freezing weather we keep the trailer lightly heated when we're away from it and if really cold keep cabinet doors open so heat can circulate a little.

In freezing weather we usually camp with services. Our water tank is inside so that's not an issue, as is the black tank. We have never had either the grey or black tank exits freeze though I expect it's possible.

That said we try not to camp in below zero C weather for extended periods and even generally disconnect our water hose every night if there's any hint of freezing.

Last year we traveled across the southern tier of the the USA and it was below freezing every night. We were perfectly fine and cozy in our trailer.

When we towed with our Honda CRV with manual transmission mountain driving did not have much effect on us. We put it in neutral just coasted down the otherside.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16