Honda Odyssey - Page 15 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #197

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Odyssey Versatility.

We bought the Odyssey to tow principally to tow our Scamp 16. It's reliability, miles per gallon, comfort and spaciousness were all factors.

Reliability is yet to be determined, only 6,000 miles.

Miles per gallon have been better then expected, 19 towing, over 30 buzzing around central FL, mid 20s in general in-town driving.

Comfort is great. The car is quiet, the engine turns slowly, well under 2k except when accelerating, seats comfortable.

Spacious. Today we bought a love seat and a side table for our new FL location. They both fit in the back of the Odyssey with the hatch closed.

So far great vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
1416626990656.jpg   1416627011181.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:40 AM   #198
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
On the tube the other day they reviewed the latest frontal, offset crash results of Mini Vans. The Oddy's and Sienna's performed very well.

It was a surprise to see the Nissan Van was very bad. When Nissan brought out their 1st mini van in 93 they had a good product but since then every newer model has gotten progressively worse.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:22 AM   #199

Florida
Insurance discount

Wayne,

Hope never to have to use the frontal crash ability.

I hadn't thought about it before but there are a couple of factors in crash avoidance in our favor. First we're typically not driving in the northeast where traffic densities are high, speeds are high and weather can be a factor. Second, we're typically driving on little traveled roads where people are not rushing and if they are they are relatively alone on the road. Third, we rarely drive at night and do it so rarely that we tend to be extra vigilant . Fourth, most of our driving is done early in the morning when we are fresh and vigilant. Fifth RVers tend to be vehicle aware, checking pressures, lights, bearings ...regularly. Sixth Rvers generally drive slower.

Rvers may deserve an insurance discount.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #200

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Norm,

Found an interesting feature on our Odyssey today.
Wife came home complaining that the left rear sliding
door would not open no matter what she did. She crawled
across the rear seat and tried to open it from the inside.

When I went out to help unload groceries she said I had better
do something or we would probably have to take it back to the
dealer for inspection.

I noticed right off that the little gas door was ajar.
I snapped it shut, pulled on the lever, and what do you know,
the door slid open. Of course she didn't see what I did. So she
made me close it and open it again.

Then I had to let her know what I did.
Nice little extra safety feature on our Odysseys.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #201

Florida
Carl,

I had the same issue. I assume it's to protect the cap cover from being hit by the sliding door. Someone's thinking..

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-25-2014, 06:34 PM   #202

Florida
Other's views

We're spending this winter in the Escapee Park in FL where we purchased a Park model that we have both come to love. In a sense it's like a 'Scamp home', small efficient and very comfortable and less costly than a new Scamp 16. Our primary purpose is to have a cost efficient winter location for our later years among RVers.

A couple of people in the park have stopped by to look at the Odyssey. The first is a pickup truck owner, his view of the Odyssey was it's an enclosed truck with its huge interior volume, superior comfort and great mileage capable of performing most used truck functions, particularly for a retired person.

The second person recently developed a walking disability and needs a electric scooter. He envisions this role for the Odyssey (compared to his Miata convertible).

Personally I rarely 'step on it' but the other say when passing I did and the V-6 is a very capable engine, accelerating rapidly. There is no apparent delay when switching cylinder modes.

I still have the singular concern about cylinder switching long term reliability, time will tell.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-26-2014, 09:41 AM   #203

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 13 2014-sold, Scamp 16 ordered
Michigan, Blue Water Area
Norm, I know the information is somewhere in this 15 page "Ode to the Odyssey". I have probably even weighed in at some point. Without searching through it all again, could you tell me what the towing capacity and max tongue weight limit is? Are all the Odyssey models the same as far as that goes, or do different engine sizes, etc. have different limits? Thanks!

Tom
Old 12-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #204

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Honda Odyssey

Best advice is to Google something like "2014 Honda Odyssey owner's manual" and read everything for yourself. Believe it's 3500/350 across the board, but there are caveats.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #205

You shamed me into looking it up, Jon. I went to their website and found 3,500 lbs limit, but no mention of hitch weight. I'm sure your 350 estimate sounds about right. I thought if I happened to catch Norm on the forum, he might have the info handy. Thx.

Tom
Old 12-26-2014, 12:55 PM   #206

Arizona
Registry
Honda Odyssey

Wasn't my intention to shame you into anything! I just find it amazing that you can get the complete owner's manual for most vehicles online. They give more complete information than marketing-oriented websites and more reliable information than a forum post (or even a dealer, in my experience). Merry Christmas, Tom!
Old 12-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #207

Florida
It's 350 lbs. It easily tows the typical fiberglass trailer and as MC1 has stated many times it's been used to tough heavier Airstreams. Personally I find it's V-6 powerful and responsive yet it get's the best mileage I've ever had.

Like all tow vehicles there are caveats, like trailer frontal area, passenger load,.... that are often over looked. It does require a transmission cooler and Honda's is huge. They also suggest limiting it to 4 speeds in hills and if I recall premium fuels in some conditions.

We have found the D4 transmission limit un-necessary, and burn regular gas. Generally there are only two of us in the vehicle and our largest load items are 4 aluminum chairs, some tools and a case of water.

we do pump up the tires a few pounds though the tires are pressure elevated compared to our CRV.

Ginny says we could easily camp in the Odyssey.

Merry Christmas Tom.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #208

Thank you Norm. I knew you'd have the easier answer. He,he. I did pull the owners manual up online. Their chart states 3,500 lbs and 10% tongue weight with 2 pax and has a chart that descends from there with more people or cargo weight. Very handy. We'll take a closer look at your Odyssey when we see you down in FL at Scamp Camp or later.

Jon, no offense taken about "shaming me". I was just kidding. I did ask for that though. I'm guilty of thinking the same thing when people ask a question to avoid reading the whole thread. I thought I could catch Norm while he was still on the forum and get the easy answer. Oh, and it is 15 pages long now! In retrospect, i could have looked it up, and read the whole thread twice over in the time it took me to explain my lazy ways.

Thanks also to the anonomous member who gave me the link to the owners manual.

Merry Christmas All!!
Old 12-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #209

Florida
Tom, I haven't read the entire manual yet myself...it's really long. See you at the Scamp Camp.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #210

Arizona
Registry
Norm- I hear you about the owner's manual... mine ('11 Pilot) runs over 600 pages! But I have read every word about towing, as I'm sure you have as well.

The other page that I have to read often is how to reset the "Maintenance Minder" after my independent mechanic changes the oil. Turn the key, push a button, wait for high noon, wiggle your ears for 3.7 seconds, cycle the radio through all 6 presets, tap the brakes 3 times, and presto- it resets! Something like that...