Honda Odyssey - Page 16 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-27-2014, 10:31 AM   #211

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Jon, I have read the towing section and read sections as I need to do something, like remove the seats. So far we have only had the Honda dealer change the oil, first time no charge.

What oil change interval do you use?

WE clicked 7000 miles today.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #212

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
The nearest dealer is 3.5 hours away for us, hence the independent mechanic. I change oil & rotate tires every 5000 miles (non-synthetic), partly because it's easy to keep track of. I've considered switching to the factory-recommended 10K interval, but going with full synthetic oil. Better from an environmental standpoint, certainly. We tow only occasionally, and most of our driving is highway. Curious what you and others think?

Old 12-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #213

Florida
Jon, What's curious?

I think we changed our oil between 3 and 4,000 miles. We did it because it was free and we were not going to be home for 7-8 months. We normally have our oil changed at an 'Oil Change ' place. With the Honda CRV we changed the oil every 5,000 miles.

If I stick to that interval we'll be changing it shortly.

I don't rotate my tires that often, usually doing it in the summer when we get home in July.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #214

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Sorry, didn't mean to suggest your thinking was curious (especially since we seem to have similar thinking about oil changes). What I meant was that I am curious what you and others think about synthetic oil and longer service intervals (like the 10K intervals Honda recommends for the 3.5L engine). At least one respected voice ("Click and Clack") seems to favor longer intervals and the use of synthetic oil as adequate for modern engines and better for the environment.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #215

Florida
Jon,

I am not a person that generally uses a fixed oil change schedule. Generally we tend to change the oil more frequently than the stated interval.

When taking a trip where the duty is severe like a 1000 miles of dirt roads, I change the oil more frequently.

I do not use synthetics, though I know many people that favor them. It's my understanding that if you use synthetics you should use them all the time. My original concern was that in some of the out of the way places that synthetics might not be available.

As to oil and the environment, I don't worry about that at all. All the oil we use is recycled.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-27-2014, 04:46 PM   #216

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
A true synthetic oil will hold up better than conventional, but one needs a filter with the capacity to keep filtering for the extended interval.

Some people install a bypass filter system that continually diverts a small portion of the oil through a large, high efficiency filter. The oil gets cleaned far better than it would by the stock filter. They send a bit of oil off for analysis occasionally to see how it's holding up. With such a setup, oils like Mobil 1 and Amsoil can last for tens of thousands of miles.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:17 PM   #217
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Honda Odyssey

The real advantage of synthetic oil is that it oxidizes at higher temperatures than mineral oils. Great for running long hours at high speed hauling a heavy load. Plus, synthetics cling to metal parts better than mineral oils, meaning less wear at startup before oil circulation gets going. I personally would not rely on filtration to extend the useful life of any motor oil. Filters remove particulate matter but not some of the harmful/acidic byproducts of combustion that may be present even though sampling shows the oil to not be broken down. As such, I would recommend following the manufacturers recommendations. with more frequent oil changes if one makes a lot of short trips to the convenience store on the corner. As far as 1,000 miles on a dirt road, it may be wise to change or clean the air filter more frequently, but if oil isn't leaking out of the engine, dust isn't infiltrating the engine and contaminating the oil. And I wouldn't be concerned about availability if using synthetic is desirable. There is a Walmart almost everywhere, if not an auto parts store. I can't imagine going on a trip anywhere in North America where I would drive distances greater than the recommended service interval and not see a single auto parts store or a Walmart. Finally, while in the early days of synthetics, switching back and forth between synthetics and mineral oils was not advisable, that is no longer true. Advanced additive packages and improved seals have eliminated the problems that may have occurred years ago. The thought that you cannot switch back and forth is a myth that won't go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #218

Florida
We did carry a spare air filter across Labrador. There was a Walmarts and a Tim Hortons in Labrador City almost at the end of the road.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-28-2014, 05:51 AM   #219
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
We have been using synthetics in all our vehicles (Mobile 1) and look at our vehicles and look at what we have been towing. No engine problems at all even with the high mileage tow vehicle. The rear end in the G35 is about the size of a large grapefruit. Added synthetic before we started towing with it. No problems to date. I like the stuff.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:03 AM   #220

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 13 2014-sold, Scamp 16 ordered
Michigan, Blue Water Area
Our 2011 Subaru Forester requires synthetic 0W-20. Very thin oil spec'd to improve mileage, IMO. We average approx 24mpg and 19mpg while towing with an automatic. The engine size is 2.5L.

Tom
Old 01-14-2015, 01:52 PM   #221
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
A true synthetic oil will hold up better than conventional, but one needs a filter with the capacity to keep filtering for the extended interval.

Some people install a bypass filter system that continually diverts a small portion of the oil through a large, high efficiency filter. The oil gets cleaned far better than it would by the stock filter. They send a bit of oil off for analysis occasionally to see how it's holding up. With such a setup, oils like Mobil 1 and Amsoil can last for tens of thousands of miles.
I believe there is a lot of truth to what you say Mike. A buddy had a Toyota Corolla Sport. He used synthetic and changed it every 15,000miles. He also changed the filter every 7,500miles. The car was fine. I believe it ended up being a reliable high mileage car.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:47 PM   #222

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
My neighbor has a Toyota Echo he bought new and has run Mobil 1 all along. Just had the motor checked out and all the readings came back as a new engine would have. He's close to 390,000 miles on it.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:48 AM   #223

Trailer: Bigfoot
Manitoba
The main reason for running synthetic oil is the new direct injection engines. With mineral oils, the intake valves coke up, since they are not exposed to fuel. Cleaning them requires disembly and manual cleaning.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:38 AM   #224

Florida
When you go to the Mobil Synthetic Oil selection guide it's interesting that the Odyssey is not listed among Honda vehicles for Mobil Synthetic use.

Anyone know the reason?

https://mobiloil.com/en/product-selector

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16