Honda Odyssey - Page 19 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #253

Name: Mark
Trailer: Egg Camper 2012
Western Massachusetts
Those Honda Odyssey's really have some room! A fairly new one was parked right next to my F250 last weekend, and it did not look small --at all-- next to the truck.
Now --off to VA Beach tomorrow, then Cedar Island, NC on Weds., to retrieve our Eggcamper.
Mark

Old 04-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #254

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Mark, The Odyssey is huge, tremendous amount of volume.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:07 AM   #255

Florida
Keeping it together

I've reported this somewhere but just to keep it together..

We took our Odyssey to CT delivering some of our furniture to her, things they prized as we disperse 50 years of stuff to friends and relatives. We folded the third row into the floor and removed the second row of seats.

It truly turns the Odyssey into a huge volume. We drove at 65-70 on 75% interstates and averaged 32 mpg, I still find this amazing. I also noticed that most of the time we were running on 3 cylinders of the 6 possible. Interestingly how well 3 cylinders propels this huge vehicle.

The Odyssey also calculates distance remaining to empty. I got to the dump and it said 11 miles and the yellow warning light came on. Really the yellow lights is distance remaining to yellow light. When I filled the tank we had 3 gallons remaining.

The Odyssey is an amazingly comfortable vehicle for long rides, like our trip to CT. It's Ginny's favorite, more so than the Legend or Audi 5000.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-05-2015, 06:34 PM   #256

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I agree Norm.
My wife said I could trade our Odyssey for a NEW truck,
but it's so good that isn't going to happen.

We have a Scion and Odyssey and both get 30+ mpg.
My old Astro only gets 18 mpg which I may trade for a truck,
but $50,000 is a bit much when they only get maybe 18mpg.

So maybe my Astro will get a new set of tires and keep rolling.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:47 PM   #257

Florida
I read an interesting article about domestic content in cars sold in America. The reviewer states that a car is considered to be American Made (USA) if it's domestic content equals or exceeds 75% of it's parts.

For the first time the list has fewer than 10 cars or trucks, none are Fords or Chryslers. The Toyota Camary is the top car and the Toyota Sienna is second. The Honda Odyssey is 4th. The 3 GM SUVs built on the same platform are 3, 5, and 6. 7th is the limited production Corvette.

Interesting but not unexpected. We have had a number of Honda's built in the USA and Canada. Many of the parts come from our Canadian and Mexican neighbors. I worked on a massive Canadian Ford engine plant some years back.

In retrospect I'm not surprised to see the Sienna and Odyssey in the list, they seem to be North American cars. Toyota now has 10 plants in the USA.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-30-2015, 03:34 PM   #258

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
My Sienna is much like the Odyssey. I concluded that the Odyssey was the better van for moving people and cargo, but the Sienna won out for towing (IMHO).

A while back, I removed the 2ed row seats (an easy 10 min job) and I put the third row seats down, then I loaded a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back, lying flat. I only needed one sheet but I could have stacked them up, maybe until the weight became an issue.

Now days I have the 2ed row seats out AND I also removed the seat trolleys that the seats mount on and that people tend to trip on, so the floor is flat. Of course putting the second row seats back in now will be an all day job if I ever decide to do so.

Anyway Norm, I have seen you quote mileage many times and each time I see it I wonder… is this from your measurement of the vehicle display? My Sienna shows me MPG, remaining distance, etc. but the numbers are wrong. The speedometer reads about 4% too high at highway speeds and the odometer also I think is off. My mileage calculated between fill ups was lower than the displayed for the same distance (checked repeatedly).
Old 06-30-2015, 04:38 PM   #259

Florida
Gordon,
I've also removed our second row. It's truly an amazing covered volume.

As to towing ability I'm not sure which is better. My view is that only half the miles are towing and the Odyssey gets better mileage 19/28 versus 18/25 per the EPA.

After 20,000 miles I have a feel for the gauges. The inaccuracy in the mpg readout is when taking short trips around town. The gauge some times read high. In general we average 24 mpg around town. I do a little better, Ginny a little worse. On the highway the mpg gauge is typically low compared to the calculated. We easily get better than 30 mpg on the highway even at speed at least on the eastern seaboard.

One dramatic advantage is the Odyssey's cylinder management, driving back and forth to CT this weekend we were mostly running on 3 or 4 cylinders. It's amazing to see it reporting 40-50 mpg. Of course this could be a weakness if it turns out to be unreliable. Only time will tell.

Given either mini-van I would keep it. They are both good vehivcles.

Towing to and from FL we averaged 19 mpg, less than our Honda CRV's 21. The advantage of the Odyssey is it gets better mileage in general driving. On the whole we like the Odyssey because its more comfortable than the CRV. It does have the disadvantage that it needs the addition of a transmission cooler and needs to be wired to tow, the 2015 Sienna wins there.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #260

Florida
Gordon,

I've been paying more attention to the mpg since your post. I filled up the Odyssey before the holiday weekend and did a little around town shopping and averaged 27 mpg in 10 miles or so. Later in the day Ginny made a similar trip and averaged 20.6 mpg. I took the car shopping today and came back with 27.5 mpg. Now I wasn't with Ginny on her trip but certainly I now she's not conscious about mpg (though she's a careful driver, I don't think she's ever been in an accident).

In conclusion, how you drive can make a difference, and I think a significant difference. In this case it had nothing to do with top speed, in general you're not driving much over 45 and probably 30 in the summer time around here.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-12-2015, 08:36 PM   #261

North Carolina
What: 2015 Toyota Sienna Van (LE8, lightly loaded and not towing)
When: July 2015
Where: I-81 south from Winchester VA for 169 miles
Why: To compare MPG of Sienna vs Odyssey
Results:
At a very consistent 70 MPH...
Per Veh Computer: 27.0 MPG
Calculated between fill-ups: 25.7 MPG

I trust the later figure. I know the Sienna speedometer reads higher than true speed and my mileage calculated between fill-ups has always been lower than the number displayed by the vehicle for the same "trip."

I have ekked out about one more MPG by going slower but still at highway speed on the interstate. Based on research, but not yet my personal experience, I expect about 14 MPG towing a Scamp 16 Std. We know the Odyssey gets better gas mileage but of course that is only one consideration when choosing a vehicle.

PS: Re:
It [Odyssey] does have the disadvantage that it needs the addition of a transmission cooler and needs to be wired to tow, the 2015 Sienna wins there."
To be clear, yes the Gen 3 Sienna does not need an added tranny cooler for the rated tow capacity, but it does need after-market wiring for trailer lights and brakes, and thats more than a little bit of a PIA.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:58 AM   #262

Florida
Gordon.

This is the typical result of our Highway trips in the Odyssey. Generally the indicated MPG is less than the calculated MPG. This seems to reverse around town with indicated slightly higher than calculated.

What: 2015 Honda Odyssey (lightly loaded and not towing)
When: Any highway trip - 8 trips
Where: Interstates from Maine to CT.
Why: To compare MPG of Sienna vs Odyssey
Results:
At a very consistent 65-70 MPH... speed trip dependent
Per Veh Computer: 30-32 MPG
Calculated between fill-ups: 32-35 MPG

My primary observation driving the Odyssey is I get better MPG than Ginny driving to the same place, often as much as 4 mpg better.

We have towed for about 4,000 miles with the Odyssey and numbers have ranged from 17-19 mpg with weather seeming to be the biggest factor.

The fact that a the Odyssey gets better miles per gallon than the Sienna is probably due to the cylinder management system of the Odyssey that allows the engine to function as a 3, 4 or 6 cylinder engine. When not towing the Odyssey is typically in a 3 or 4 cylinder mode.

The Odyssey requires the purchase of Honda's transmission cooler. Like the Sienna, the Odyssey does need to be wired for 7 pin connector. The Odyssey's transmission cooler looks huge, about 3' x 18".

I believe the Odyssey, with it's cylinder control, makes the Honda's engine more complicated. This offers a larger reliability risk.

Though I've never driven a Sienna or even sat in one, based on Toyota's reputation, I would expect the Sienna to be a fine vehicle.

Our choice of Honda was based upon ownership of decades of Hondas, none that ever had a drive line repair, non that traveled less than 250,000 miles.

Secondarily we've had a number of people comment about a "soccer mom vehicle". Now that we own a mini-van I can not imagine why we have not owned one before. It is truly a useful vehicle. The rear of the Odyssey is as large as a F150 truck bed, easily handling 4x8 sheets of plywood and a the same time carrying 6 or 7 in comfort. Of course it's not a truck but for most people it can do a similar job while giving great mileage and true ride comfort.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-13-2015, 07:52 AM   #263

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

Secondarily we've had a number of people comment about a "soccer mom vehicle". Now that we own a mini-van I can not imagine why we have not owned one before. It is truly a useful vehicle. ....
How true.. even if its just for me and my dog.. the dog crate works great on the floor and leaves lots of room. The same crate in my Highlander took up most of the cargo space.

In fact just last week I had to move a dresser, dorm fridge, and more. Took out the dog crate (took 2 mins tops) and then the fridge was loaded behind the front passenger seat. My brother (who owns a Highlander) helped me load the dresser. He climbed in the back from the drivers side sliding door to pull it in and remarked, "wow you got a lot of room in here!"

Having 8 x 4 feet of ENCLOSED floor space is great, but why Toyota is not taking advantage of this draw to their van is beyond me.. there are almost no places to secure a load, so you have to get creative or chance loose projectiles in case of a high speed collision. Its designed for passengers with little thought to any other use.

Someone needs to build a van for towing and cargo carrying. It will have ties downs and be pre-wired for trailers. And the tailgate wont hit the tongue jack so you can actually open the back door while hooked to a trailer!

PS.. Had Honda Accord and CRV in the past... they were the best vehicles I have ever owned.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:11 AM   #264

Florida
Gordon,

Are you saying you can't open the rear hatch on the Sienna when connected to the Scamp?

I had not thought to mention it but the Odyssey's rear hatch opens without hitting anything on the Scamp when connected.

The Sienna and Odyssey are huge.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #265

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2007 Casita Spirit 17'
Lanesboro, Minnesota
Quote:
Gordon,

Are you saying you can't open the rear hatch on the Sienna when connected to the Scamp?

I had not thought to mention it but the Odyssey's rear hatch opens without hitting anything on the Scamp when connected.

The Sienna and Odyssey are huge.
Yes, but both our 03 and 08 Odysseys hatch will hit the jack's crank arm if you don't point it towards the camper. We put quite a dent in the lip of the Odysseys rear hatch when I tried to close the hatch with the crank handle pointed towards the Odyssey. Remember to point the crank arm to the camper!

Enjoy,

Perry

2003 & 2008 Honda Odysseys
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:49 AM   #266

North Carolina
Quote:
Gordon,

Are you saying you can't open the rear hatch on the Sienna when connected to the Scamp?.
I could not open the hatch with my pop-up trailer, and I don't have my Scamp... but someone with a Scamp 16 and Sienna did confirm that the hatch hits the jack and so will not open.

The problem is the Sienna needs about a 8 inch rise ball mount for the Scamp 16 (less for the 13) and that puts it in the way of the hatch.

No big deal, one can get a longer ball mount (maybe) and, if needed, lengthen the chains and wiring, or relocate the trailer tongue jack.

In fact there is a jack that is removable that I think will work well.. but thats in the future for me.